College Football

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well Winston is being accused of rape, not sex. But I understand why people would be skeptical with him about to enter the NFL for a lot of money. It's possible it was consentual and she's a gold digger. But Winston would have been smart to realize he could be targeted that way.

Can you believe Michigan nearly upsetting OSU? With 32 seconds left in the game Michigan scores aTD to make it 42-41, and they can tie the score by kicking the PAT to send the game to a likely overtime. But Michigan, unable to stop OSU's offense, elect to go for the 2-point conversion and fail. But Michigan made the correct call IMO. FOXXY would have been proud.
The incident happened nearly a year ago and was reported to the police immediately. This is also long before Winston ever played a down for FSU or even considered a star. So gold digger is not a remote possibility. The police and DA have been sitting on this ever since. There is something very wrong going on here. Now this may have not been a rape and we may never know the true story about what happened. But, why the coverup by the authorities then?
 
Tricycle Rider said:
Wow, Auburn!
Amazing! So much for "Roll Tide" today.


veganrob said:
The incident happened nearly a year ago and was reported to the police immediately. This is also long before Winston ever played a down for FSU or even considered a star. So gold digger is not a remote possibility. The police and DA have been sitting on this ever since. There is something very wrong going on here. Now this may have not been a rape and we may never know the true story about what happened. But, why the coverup by the authorities then?
Thanks for the info, and good question. These kinds of cases can get really... don't know the best word for it is... confusing. Daughter of good friends had something similar happen. The mind, the psyche of the victim, is what I mean can get confused, messed up, not knowing whether to go ahead with prosecution or drop it. Not a pretty situation. So I tend to jump on the side of the women even before knowing facts.
 
So much for what I know, saying Alabama would not lose.

That was the right call for Michigan at the time. They were not likely to win in OT. The 2pt conversion was their best shot.

The BCS must be in a tizzy. Who do they have? Florida State vs. Ohio State? They have hardly beaten anyone of substance! The Bckeyes should have lost today, to an average Michigan team rebuilding! This is nuts because Auburn and Missouri are going to be ranked 3 & 4, but play each other in the SEC championship. with the loser out of the BCS picture, and the winner still not getting into the championship. Even if this were next year with the four team, playoff, who do you put in there? FL State, OSU, and then who?

Just another reason why the 8 team playoff was the way to go, not four teams. Though I have to say with teams now playing more games than ever, plus conference championships, to add an 8 team playoff is asking a lot for college students.
 
Some really great games yesterday. After Bama-Auburn & Michigan-OSU, there were also:
- battle of the brains: ND @ #8 Stanford, Cardinal winning 27-20
- SEC East: #19 Texas A&M @ #5 Mizzou, Tigers winning 28-21 (lots of tiger teams in the SEC)
Johnny Football looked very average and did nothing to advance is chances for the Heisman.

BCS championship game... too early to say as a lot can happen in a week.
- After the Bama loss, #2 Florida State and #3 Ohio State appear to have the inside track... but will OSU make it there? Some considerations...
- Bama did only lose on a botched FG return, which when you think about it was not all that spectacular of a play when you consider that the Bama FG unit is made up of big bodies for blocking, the holder, the kicker, and no speed guys.
- #3 OSU plays #11 Michigan State in the Big-10 title game next week in Indy. Obvious must win for OSU.
- Undefeated #2 'Noles play #24 Duke for the ACC championship game next week. Expect FSU to beat Duke and head the BCS championship game.

Another good game next week should be (really a non-factors for the BCSC) #5 Mizzou (11-1, 7-1 SEC) vs. #4 Auburn (11-1, 7-1) in their conference championship game.

If FSU heads to the BCS title game, wins, and Jameis Winston plays well, then it won't surprise if Jameis Winston's off-field troubles have nothing to do with the Heisman balloting.
 
U-Dub's Steve Sarkisian to USC, not sure this is much of an improvement for the Trojans. But who knows? Maybe the return to the California sunshine will do Sarkisian some good. http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/10068739/usc-trojans-hire-steve-sarkisian-washington-huskies-new-football-coach

The question now, of course, is who does that leave the Huskies with? Lane Kiffin? Heh.

Also, why do they play these musical chairs with the coaches before the bowl season commences? Doesn't seem fair to the players, imo.
 
Tricycle Rider said:
U-Dub's Steve Sarkisian to USC, not sure this is much of an improvement for the Trojans...
Me too. Ed Orgeron had actually done quite well with the deck stacked against him, and the players loved him. Yet, Pat Haden seemed to have little interest in keeping him. Yet he hires someone who I wonder can do any better? I'm also puzzled because Haden said he would do a naitonwide search after the season was over to find the very best guy to lead them back to their dynasty days. And he hires Sarkisian in an instant? I would have made a phone call to John Harbaugh just to see if he wanted a break from the NFL. After all, USC could afford him. Making matters worse, Haden tells Orgeron that if he wants to be an assistant to to Sarkisian he will consider it. Really Pat? After all the guy did?

on3m@n@rmy said:
If FSU heads to the BCS title game, wins, and Jameis Winston plays well, then it won't surprise if Jameis Winston's off-field troubles have nothing to do with the Heisman balloting.
Except Heisman ballots are turned in before the bowl games start.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
Me too. Ed Orgeron had actually done quite well with the deck stacked against him, and the players loved him. Yet, Pat Haden seemed to have little interest in keeping him. Yet he hires someone who I wonder can do any better? I'm also puzzled because Haden said he would do a naitonwide search after the season was over to find the very best guy to lead them back to their dynasty days. And he hires Sarkisian in an instant? I would have made a phone call to John Harbaugh just to see if he wanted a break from the NFL. After all, USC could afford him. Making matters worse, Haden tells Orgeron that if he wants to be an assistant to to Sarkisian he will consider it. Really Pat? After all the guy did?
UW should hire Ed Orgeron, and then the Huskies kick USC's a$$ for the next decade would be funny. I wonder if Ed is on the Huskies short list of new coaches.
 
Well, it looks like Jamis Winston will face no charges. This still leaves a lot of questions, but also clears a real path for voters. Some still won't vote for him, but most will.

Also helps the BCS enormously. Imagine if he were charged, and FSU made it to the title game without him?

Tired of all the people talking about how not having a SEC team in the championship game isn't right. Uh, the SEC is the best conference, but your teams all lost important games. Get over it.
 
on3m@n@rmy said:
Well, the PAC-12 coaching just got richer as the Washington Huskies just announced the hiring of Boise State HC Chris Petersen.
I think this could be good news for the Huskies. I know Boise St. was really good under Petersen not too many years ago, not sure what happened the past couple of seasons as I don't follow the MWC. (Something about Petersen needing to recruit a better kicker, or something.)

I would like to have seen Boise St. join the now Pac-12, I think it would have been an upgrade for them, and we could have used the competition. (Hey, the more the merrier, right? We were getting Utah and Colorado, why not Idaho as well.)

On a different note - for ****s and giggles, here's a schedule of all the upcoming bowl games. I remember decades ago when there were only a handful of prestigious bowls, now there's over thirty of them. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9301782/2013-14-bowl-schedule
 
Tricycle Rider said:
I think this could be good news for the Huskies.
Yes. I think this is an upgrade. Nothing against Sark, but BSU under Petersen has been in national championship discussions in the past. Unfortunately for BSU, Petersen has done about all he can in that conference. His move to the PAC-12's Huskies should give him a greater chance to reach the big dance (BCS CS game). And at Washington, Petersen could/should be able to land a few more talented players than he did at BSU, just because the best players want to go to a conference with a higher percentage of elite athletes. It's kind of like iron sharpens iron. Playing the best makes the rest better. So, now only time will tell.


Tricycle Rider said:
On a different note - for ****s and giggles, here's a schedule of all the upcoming bowl games. I remember decades ago when there were only a handful of prestigious bowls, now there's over thirty of them. http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9301782/2013-14-bowl-schedule
Just about this time last year I was thinking "Why would I want to watch two 6-6 teams play a bowl game?" And I tried a few, but could not manage watching more than about one quarter of a game. OTOH, the extra bowl games are really good for the teams involved because it gives them:
1. Extra practice time
2. Bowl game experience
Both of those facts help build a team into a better team for the following season, so they should end up being better able to compete against the stronger teams they play. This makes the competition better, which is good for the teams, the players, the schools, and the viewing audience. So, if I ever complain about how boring some of these games are, simply remind me what I just wrote... put an electronic gun to my head or something.
 
When I was a kid there were a handful of bowl games. The big ones were the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton. There were a few smaller ones too like the Holiday Bowl, the Sun Bowl, the Gator Bowl, the Independence Bowl. And we'd also have the Blue-Gray game. That was about it. Now, they are all corporate sponsored, and look the same. Just another game to help make money.

Speaking of Boise State going to the Pac-12... Don't be at all surprised if within the next five years we end up with four or so 16-team Superconferences. We'll have the SEC, Pac-16, the Big 12 and Big 10 merge (or one swallows the other), the AAC and Big East merge, etc. Then, as the 4-team playoff contract starting next season ends, the next contract will be 4 superconference winners seeded headed to an 8-team playoff. With four other teams as wildcards, some from the superconferences, some not. I didn't come up with this on my own, but it's been alluded to by others in various forms, and this just makes total logical sense, both in terms of what fans want, and what will benefit the schools, and financially for all of NCAA football. The only negative, if there is one, is that you'll see less purity of unbeaten teams, and the kids will be playing tougher games overall. But we're headed that direction anyway.

A few years ago Peterson said he wasn't interested in leaving, but things change, and he sees the same writing on the wall I do. ALL the big teams, money, and accolades will be in the Superconferences. You just wait and see. Washington is already there. Boise is on the outside looking in (but should lobby to get into the Pac-12, next expansion in a year or two).

The next step beyond there is some sort of contract allowing student-athletes to be paid a portion of sponsorship money, and independent earnings, as long as they meet certain academic and ethical guidelines.
 
Alpe d'Huez said:
When I was a kid there were a handful of bowl games. The big ones were the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Cotton. There were a few smaller ones too like the Holiday Bowl, the Sun Bowl, the Gator Bowl, the Independence Bowl. And we'd also have the Blue-Gray game. That was about it. Now, they are all corporate sponsored, and look the same. Just another game to help make money.
Huskies get to play the Mormons in the Fight Hunger Bowl, I had to google where/what that even is. Geez, the Cougs' New Mexico Bowl sounds better, if you leave out the corporate sponsor.

Anyhoo, newest schedule of bowl games, this time with the teams.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/schedule/_/seasontype/3/week/1

Ducks get to play in the Alamo Bowl, I'll be rooting for the Longhorns. (My brother lives in Texas, he procured a Longhorns baseball cap for me years ago. I'll have to wear it now, just to irritate some of the locals.)

I'll be rooting for Auburn in the NCG, never cared for/about Florida. Plus, the former dethroned the seemingly invincible Bama, so that alone deserves a backing from me.
 
Good Gawd, some of those names are just atrocious. I don't even know the value of the bowl games anymore. Between the Taxslayer.com bowl. The Heart of Dallas presented by PlainsCapital Bowl. The BBVA Compass Bowl. The GoDaddy Bowl. It's just embarrassing how much of a corporate sellout it is. That was one way to insure there was a playoff in the future, diminish the value of the bowl games into something pathetic and meaningless.

As to the championship game, I too am going to cheer for Auburn. I think beating Alabama, and the way they did it, was great. I'm also iffy on the quality of Florida State as a team, and Winston's character.

However, whomever determined the matchups this year is a total idiot. Outside of the Florida State - Auburn game, and the Stanford - Michigan State game, almost none of the other matchups interest me.
 
Ducks Start Snowball Fight Gone Bad
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10108429/oregon-ducks-football-players-face-discipline-organizing-participating-snowball-fight

See, this is why we can't have nice things. (Like the occasional, if not rare, snow we get here in Eugene.)

I realize it was all meant in fun, but the problem is that nobody around here knows how to drive on snow/ice. (Case in point, there were at least 259 slow-speed car crashes here on Friday alone.) So this could have ended very badly.

This is actually a better video with sound, what a bunch of punks.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azUbx8XwOlU
 
No way us Huskies will win the "whatever the **** bowl" against BYU tonight.

I'm calling it right now - the WA Huskies have absolutely no pride in their team, while the BYU Mormons still do.

Huskies lose, not quite sure by how much, however.
 
Tricycle Rider said:
No way us Huskies will win the "whatever the **** bowl" against BYU tonight.
Pre-game I honestly did not know what to expect. Interim HC Tui (Marcus Tuiasosopo) helps the Huskies get the win. Knowing some of the large Tui family, I'm not surprised they looked inspired. Prolly better than if Sark was still there. Sankey looked good, but I hope/think he should stay for his final year. Congrats all around.
 
Tricycle Rider said:
Your guys lost by only 3 points, that sucks. :(

And with the Ducks' win yesterday I am 0/2 as far as bowl game predictions go, today I'm picking Texas A&M, tomorrow I'm going for Stanford in the Rose Bowl.

Let's see if I can make it 0/4. :p
My guys shoulda won. But no worries. Next season.

Maybe our Oh-fers mean we are getting in stride for survival football next season.

On your boys Sankey, I'm a little disappointed he's skipping his Sr season to jump to the NFL (he could use another year to build bulk and speed). But I can understand why while he's still healthy. At 203 lbs he's a bit undersized for not having lights out top end speed. So he'll have to reply on his shiftiness to make tacklers miss, which he does well. We will prolly get a chance to see how tough I said he was.
 
on3m@n@rmy said:
On your boys Sankey, I'm a little disappointed he's skipping his Sr season to jump to the NFL (he could use another year to build bulk and speed). But I can understand why while he's still healthy. At 203 lbs he's a bit undersized for not having lights out top end speed. So he'll have to reply on his shiftiness to make tacklers miss, which he does well. We will prolly get a chance to see how tough I said he was.
Generally speaking, I'm not sure how I feel about college players opting for the NFL draft in lieu of graduating - on one hand, they frequently are undersized and could use more time to bulk up. (*cough*need to take more steroids*cough*.) On the other hand, a football player's career window is short, if he gets seriously injured in college he'll have to kiss any future opportunities in the NFL good-bye.

I guess it really depends on the player. Manziel was supposedly scouting his options to see if any team in the NFL would be interested in him as he is right now, if none are he'll just have to stay in school. (Oh gosh darn it, he might actually have to learn how to spell his own name.)
 
Fastforward to December 31, 2014-

Not a fan of the U of Duckies at all, but I think if they have a chance to beat anyone (who is not in the Pac-12), this might be their year.

It kills my U of WA Husky pride, but I hope the Duckies kick the **** out of FSU tomorrow!
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS