• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Colombia 2.1 (Feb 12-17)

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Koronin said:
DNP-Old said:
Koronin said:
Seems to be both Lopez and Sosa screwed up.
Superman didn't screw anything up. Letting Nairo ride was very smart.

I changed my mind on that. You're right. However, Sosa majorly screwed up.

Yes Lopez letting Nairo win was a smart move on Lopez's part.

In Sosa's defense, he could have won the race had he given leadership & support earlier and on the last climb he was the one who fell - but overall -YES it was his fault for not reading the race properly-perhaps too young but he should have attacked Lopez earlier....

On Froome:
You could argue he couldnt do what he did 2016-2017 back in 2013, but I'd argue that he couldnt do what he did in 2013 in 16-17. So whats the most impressive? Probably 2016-2017 from the standpoint of just winning GTs and such, but the feeling I had watching Froome practically being invincible and just beating guys up in every stage race, and of course the two MTFs and the time trial in TdF that year, was Armstongesque for the first and last time in his career. So thats why I choose that version of Froome over the more endurance-based, consistent GT-racking in that later stage of his career.

A basketballreference, Lebron has more longevity (and still an incredible peak), but Jordan in the late early 90's was just something else entirely.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
There was just some tacts about Sky playing it badly, dno if it was regarding to Bernal then.

Sosa was in the front with Martínez. But Sky still favoured Bernal for the win, so they were leading the peloton when Sosa was driving the attack.

So yeah, that was probably a bit of a failure, though, there's no radio communication (as far as I know). In the end it cost them the race because it made López stay in close enough proximity to close the gap to the front. Of course, Sky had probably believed Bernal to be at López' level and feared that Martínez was equal to Sosa - and Alaphilippe was also holding his ground.

So at the time it sort of made sense (probably not that Sosa was contributing) but hindsight is always wiser.

It was a crazy stage not just on the cycling front. The crowds lining the roads were incredible, but the idiots running along nearly ruined the race.

Chapeau to Nairo - he kept going despite the crash and chapeau Superman! Astana winning around the globe at the moment.

Re:

70kmph said:
Not the usual Sky approach to a race, which would be TTT up mountain and launch the leader in the final KM
They only needed 4 sec yet abandoned their own playbook...very peculiar

They seemed not to have the usual team strength so the train ran out of puff fairly quickly. Froome got out of the saddle pretty quickly and that's a sign normaly that he's on the limit. No Kwia, G, Moscon or Kiry remember.

That was like a battle between the generations in Colombian cycling. "The first star" Quintana, the next one - Lopez (he is still just 25 tho and with the way he progresses steady, I could actually see him being the most successful one) And the rising stars Sosa, Bernal. I know it's not exactly for this threat but whom of them do you think will have the best career and why?

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
On Froome:
You could argue he couldnt do what he did 2016-2017 back in 2013, but I'd argue that he couldnt do what he did in 2013 in 16-17. So whats the most impressive? Probably 2016-2017 from the standpoint of just winning GTs and such, but the feeling I had watching Froome practically being invincible and just beating guys up in every stage race, and of course the two MTFs and the time trial in TdF that year, was Armstongesque for the first and last time in his career. So thats why I choose that version of Froome over the more endurance-based, consistent GT-racking in that later stage of his career.

A basketballreference, Lebron has more longevity (and still an incredible peak), but Jordan in the late early 90's was just something else entirely.
I've got an analogy, too... Froome '11-'15 = Bolt, while Froome '16 onwards = Johnson (Michael).

sir fly said:
Valv.Piti said:
On Froome:

I've got an analogy, too... Froome '11-'15 = Bolt, while Froome '16 onwards = Johnson (Michael).

I was thinking more like Ben Johnson

Salvarani said:
sir fly said:
Valv.Piti said:
On Froome:

I was thinking more like Ben Johnson
Be free to think like Ben...

TRENDING THREADS