• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Columbia-HTC past and future

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
Nice article with Bob Stapleton:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-man-with-the-midas-touch

With all the big changes going on in personnel, what does everyone think is going to happen? will they be one dimensional (granted a dimension the will rule!), or do you think it's more of an attitude that Stapleton brings and they'll continue to win?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-cyclingnews-guide-to-rider-transfers
(PS - to CN Staff Martin Velits is listed twice in the link above :D)
Here are the details:
Team Columbia - HTC

In:
Aleksejs Saramotins
Rasmus Guldhammer
Leigh Howard
Jan Bakelants
Jan Ghyselink
Tejay van Garderen
Patrick Getsch
Martin Velits
Hayden Roulston

Out:
George Hincapie
Marcus Burghardt
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Thomas Lövkvist
Greg Henderson
Kim Kirchen

Re-signed:
Tony Martin
Marcel Sieberg

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
yakko! said:
Team Columbia - HTC

In:
Aleksejs Saramotins
Rasmus Guldhammer
Leigh Howard
Jan Bakelants
Jan Ghyselink
Tejay van Garderen
Patrick Getsch
Martin Velits
Hayden Roulston

Out:
George Hincapie
Marcus Burghardt
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Thomas Lövkvist
Greg Henderson
Kim Kirchen

Re-signed:
Tony Martin
Marcel Sieberg

Concerning the Giro, the performers who were of use were Edvald Boasson Hagen and Thomas Lövkvist. They will be missed but are not essential. EBH was talked about a lot around May, then the fans went quiet. Kim Kirchen and George Hincapie were very useful in the Tour. Particularly in organising and leading the train home. George was often 2nd or 3rd last lead out man behind Renshaw. He'll be missed. Classics, those four will all be missed. Kirchen probably more than the others.

Best thing they did was resign Tony Martin. Best young rider on the team who can do everything well. I like them buying Velits and Roulston, but don't know much about the rest. After Astana, HTC has lost more big name quality riders than any other team. But they had a number of riders from the 2008 Tour squad who did not ride in the 2009 Tour. Cav will still win the odd 4 stages next year. Probably the only team who can go to all 3 Tours and win a handfull of stages. It will be interesting to see if Cav's first GT is the Giro or Tour. If the Tour is his first GT, he may be aiming to peak for the WC in Geelong by riding the Vuelta as preparation. He should, because the course offers him a great chance to win.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
The second Martin Velits should be his twin brother, Peter. They are both coming over to Columbia.

Susan

Peter Velits is an excellent signing. Great allrounder, worthy substitute for Hincapie/Kirchen.

Galic Ho said:
Concerning the Giro, the performers who were of use were Edvald Boasson Hagen and Thomas Lövkvist. They will be missed but are not essential. EBH was talked about a lot around May, then the fans went quiet. Kim Kirchen and George Hincapie were very useful in the Tour. Particularly in organising and leading the train home. George was often 2nd or 3rd last lead out man behind Renshaw. He'll be missed. Classics, those four will all be missed. Kirchen probably more than the others.

Best thing they did was resign Tony Martin. Best young rider on the team who can do everything well. I like them buying Velits and Roulston, but don't know much about the rest. After Astana, HTC has lost more big name quality riders than any other team. But they had a number of riders from the 2008 Tour squad who did not ride in the 2009 Tour. Cav will still win the odd 4 stages next year. Probably the only team who can go to all 3 Tours and win a handfull of stages. It will be interesting to see if Cav's first GT is the Giro or Tour. If the Tour is his first GT, he may be aiming to peak for the WC in Geelong by riding the Vuelta as preparation. He should, because the course offers him a great chance to win.

yakko! said:
Nice article with Bob Stapleton:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/the-man-with-the-midas-touch

With all the big changes going on in personnel, what does everyone think is going to happen? will they be one dimensional (granted a dimension the will rule!), or do you think it's more of an attitude that Stapleton brings and they'll continue to win?

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/the-cyclingnews-guide-to-rider-transfers
(PS - to CN Staff Martin Velits is listed twice in the link above :D)
Here are the details:
Team Columbia - HTC

In:
Aleksejs Saramotins
Rasmus Guldhammer
Leigh Howard
Jan Bakelants
Jan Ghyselink
Tejay van Garderen
Patrick Getsch
Martin Velits
Hayden Roulston

Out:
George Hincapie
Marcus Burghardt
Edvald Boasson Hagen
Thomas Lövkvist
Greg Henderson
Kim Kirchen

Re-signed:
Tony Martin
Marcel Sieberg

Strong allrounder Lars Ytting Bak is also missing in the list og riders joining. He hopes very much to make the TDF-team where he could be a kind of replacement for Hincapie. Propably not with the same leadout-qualities though.

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
Concerning the Giro, the performers who were of use were Edvald Boasson Hagen and Thomas Lövkvist. They will be missed but are not essential.
The only 'essential' rider on Columbia is Cavendish.

EBH was talked about a lot around May, then the fans went quiet.
I don't get it. What are you saying?

EBH is the only rider who has been lamented as irreplaceable by the Columbia folks.

Kirchen probably more than the others.
If Brian Holm is to be believed, Kim Kirchen is a case of 'good riddance': "We did everything for him, and he gave us nothing in return."

Best thing they did was resign Tony Martin. Best young rider on the team who can do everything well.
Bit of a strijkijzer though.

Columbia has lost some good riders but have picked up a bunch of very interesting prospects (and a couple of solid helpers) and will probably rack up another 50+ wins next season.

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
I think they'll have a great season, but it's tough to say they'll repeat what they did this year (aside from Cav's dominance, of course)...

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Next year, they'll still be a team geared toward winning stages. Considering the new signings, I don't think Cav's lead out will suffer a bit. He may not win six Tour stages, but that has more to do with the route, not his ability or his team's ability. Also Tony Martin has potential to develop into a GC rider. Perhaps not enough to beat AC or AS, but he could probably break into the top 5 in the near future. I expect big things from him. EBH though, was a big loss.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
samb01 said:
The only 'essential' rider on Columbia is Cavendish.

I don't get it. What are you saying?

EBH is the only rider who has been lamented as irreplaceable by the Columbia folks.

Cav is the only essential rider on the team. Stage wins are their diet and he wins them everywhere he goes.

What I meant about EBH is that his season up to May was cracking. I heard soo much about him. Then all quiet. No Tour for him, no race details. Nothing. Lots of chatter up to the Tour about him, especially from Scandinavian countries. Then barely a whisper about EBHs present condition and performances. I know he is good for his age, but Loqkvist was talked about in the same way. Quality but never eventuated and evolved into that wonderful rider he was meant to be.

I heard the irreplaceable bit. They let him go. Why not Martin over him? Both are quality. We'll see how EBH turns out.

If Brian Holm is to be believed, Kim Kirchen is a case of 'good riddance': "We did everything for him, and he gave us nothing in return."

Didn't know that. He was good in the hilly classics before he got injured and was useful in 2008. Maybe the team didn't appreciate his injury setbacks. Or maybe his attitude doesn't gel with the teams and he needed to be let go. Doesn't matter now, he is gone.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
EBH has the ability to win a lot of classics, including Paris-Roubaix. In actual fact, if anyone can beat Boonen next year, he can.

He could potentially develop himself into a GT rider.

EBH is definately a once in a generation rider. He could be anything.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
nothing after may? benelux, tour of britain...he tanked there I guess.

He won the Tour of Britain? I'm an aussie, so I paid little attention to those news articles. Good for him then. Not EBH's fault I don't pay attention to every race.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Boasson will be a better bunch sprinter than Hushovd if he wants to take that path.

At the same age, there is no comparison, Boasson is about ten times faster over the last 200 metres and has a better jump.

But Aldag et al said he has the numbers to win the Tour de France if he drops two or three kilos and focuses on GT capacities. I expect he just might.

Two years winning the lowlands classics, then a bigger goal at the Tour.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
As a fan of Columbia EbH was the only rider I didn't want to leave who did. I like Kirchen, Lokvist and Hincapie, but they were all replaceable. Watching Cav is awesome, but I've never been one for bunch sprints. EbH reminds me of Valverde, only faster. Haven't seen an interview, but he appears to have marketing potential...more than griepel. Wonder what his contract was and is now.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
As a fan of Columbia EbH was the only rider I didn't want to leave who did. I like Kirchen, Lokvist and Hincapie, but they were all replaceable. Watching Cav is awesome, but I've never been one for bunch sprints. EbH reminds me of Valverde, only faster. Haven't seen an interview, but he appears to have marketing potential...more than griepel. Wonder what his contract was and is now.

it was not about money. He wanted freedom, and not to have to be a stooge for Cav.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't doubt he wanted freedom and that may have been the motivating move, but when he signed with columbia he was a kid with potential and now he is really coming into it. i wonder how much he was on and is.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
500k euro

would have been on about 60k but dare say, he may have had a 50k bonus in year 2

he was there 3 years right or 2?

would have been something like 40, 50, 60, or if 2 years, 50 and 60. No bonus as he is leaving, and teams dont like to give a bonus if not written into the clause in contract

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I think only 2.
Always nice to see salaries, i like comparing to other sports and I think a salary cap would be a good way to even up teams.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
I think only 2.
Always nice to see salaries, i like comparing to other sports and I think a salary cap would be a good way to even up teams.

better to even it up would be to enforce the WADA regulations, and not protect riders from the big teams, and beat up on Saunier Duval and Gerolsteiner. The big teams are protected, which is just fraud and corruption.

when Saunier are riding hot their riders on close to minimum wage can ride with the big teams. So it aint the budget, its the medical program and the political protection.

Galic Ho said:
He won the Tour of Britain? I'm an aussie, so I paid little attention to those news articles. Good for him then. Not EBH's fault I don't pay attention to every race.
Then why do you even say anything at all? He wasn't chosen to ride the tour de france because Colombia thought it would be better for his development not to. Let's take a look at EBH's season after tour de france:

Tour de pologne
1. Stage 4 (while leading out greipel in a mass sprint, but even though eddy was in the front for like 500 meters greipel couldn't get past)
1. Stage 6 (breakaway, hilly stage)
3. Overall

Eneco Tour
3. Stage 1
3. Stage 2
2. Stage 4
2. Stage 5 (breakaway)
1. Stage 6 (mass sprint)
1. Stage 7 (ITT)
1. Overall
1. Points classification

Tour of Britain:

1. Stage 3
1. Stage 4
1. Stage 5
1. Stage 6
1. Overall
1. Points classification

Yea he has definitely been invisible since May :confused:

May 17, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
I heard the irreplaceable bit. They let him go. Why not Martin over him? Both are quality.
It wasn't their call to make. According to a recent interview with Pro Cycling Stapleton claimed he would match anyone wrt money, but EBH's manager just wouldn't give him the time of day.

In general, you would have more informed opinions if you paid day-to-day attention to the sport as opposed to just tuning in for the biggest events.

karlboss said:
i wonder how much he was on and is.
According to the lates issue of Cycle Sport the three year contract with Sky is worth 2.5 mil. euro (I think it was euro but can't check as I throw magazines out after reading).

May 17, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Bob Stapleton is prone to hyperbole
He is? I honestly haven't noticed. The 'once in a generation'-thingy was more or less put in his mouth by Pro Cycling, it wasn't really his choice of words.

and is just as deep up to his nick in the seedy side too.
But of course, that's how it has to be to conform with your model of the world.

One does wonder what would constitute disconfirming evidence though.

TRENDING THREADS