• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Come clean...

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Just wondering regarding the whole Ryder hesjedal situation (and others like it)...if I was a pro cyclist who doped in the past, it is likely that at least a few people know for certain that I did. In this current day and age, I wouldn't be able to trust everyone who has knowledge of my doping to keep their mouths shut. Therefore, wouldn't it be better if I came clean prior to irrefutable information that proved I doped? Clearly pro cyclists have a lot to protect, but I just don't understand why we haven't seen many if at all admissions to doping. In the hesjedal situation (and o'grady and others) the public completely loses faith in the rider to tell the whole truth. Therefore, wouldn't it be better to be upfront, tell the truth, and avoid complete loss of integrity?
What are your thoughts, and why don't you think we see it more often?

ojc123 said:
Just wondering regarding the whole Ryder hesjedal situation (and others like it)...if I was a pro cyclist who doped in the past, it is likely that at least a few people know for certain that I did. In this current day and age, I wouldn't be able to trust everyone who has knowledge of my doping to keep their mouths shut. Therefore, wouldn't it be better if I came clean prior to irrefutable information that proved I doped? Clearly pro cyclists have a lot to protect, but I just don't understand why we haven't seen many if at all admissions to doping. In the hesjedal situation (and o'grady and others) the public completely loses faith in the rider to tell the whole truth. Therefore, wouldn't it be better to be upfront, tell the truth, and avoid complete loss of integrity?
What are your thoughts, and why don't you think we see it more often?

What integrity does a dope cheat possess, that he/she could lose?

Most everyone who is supplying dope and programs has much, much, more to lose if they suddenly get a conscience and tell.

The missing part of this whole thread remains Ryder is not another in a very long line of lone dopers. The federation enables it all the way into the IOC. It's built into the bio-passport!

As long as Ryder <cough>Horner!<cough><cough>Froome!<cough> don't fail the low IQ test, it's all good. And if they DO fail the test? The UCI might help you out anyway. See Contador, probably JTL too...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
blackcat said:
this.

you dont stop doping then find success and the rewards that accompanies it.

you stop doping, you get the hell out of the sport

and this.

If you stop doping you take the Scott Mercier approach and get out of the sport

This barely saying sorry, did it once a long long time ago but now clean is BS.

Also these confessions are so controlled and limited it stinks of that they are still hiding the real truth.

Jan 20, 2013
Visit site
And ten years from now we will have the current peloton heavyweights confessing, adding that "everyone used (insert current methods of doping) in in the 2010s...

I'd like for as many as possible to come clean - mainly because I love the gossip - but I would be more thrilled for someone to expose what goes on today. Since electric motors are pretty much debunked for now there must be something else propelling them up those hilly bits. But what exactly...?

Because the World of cycling is still moving with baby-steps away from the ****ed up doping-ruled period.
Some people just don't seem to realize that the consequences - either for themselves, or for the sport as a whole - of not speaking up and coming clean will be much bigger than the consequences of actually coming clean.