• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Compare a current cyclist to a retired cyclist

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
LG1KN-Q4.png

Re:

memyselfandI said:
How the hell you compare riders that have not achieved zip compared another?

Freire/Mathews :lol: multi WC superman vs..bling?
Zabo/Demare :lol: multi green vs no green?

And Landa is not Gibo, so far behind yet, probably never going to catch.. :rolleyes:
It says riders with the same talent and capalibilities. Not That They Will archieve the same Results.
Freire was a World cup Superman and Maybe a slightly better sprinter the comparasing is there talent That They Can both win a springet up Hill and after a race so tough the Best sprinter are out. But a Not a good enough sprinter to win the mass sprint. That is the comparasing the op was looking for- Not riders with Similar results.
Zabel again a sprinter That was good - But Not the fastede Like demare- But Can compete On tougher stages than most sprinters. I Think it is you WHO did Not read the Original post.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Heinrich Trumheller - Romain Sicard

I've always had a lot of questions about Trumheller. But alas I can't ask them outside the clinic

Max Rockatansky said:
GuyIncognito said:
Kinda yeah, and they both were nowhere in the heat.

Rominger came close to winning a GT very early in his career which Spilak has never done. Plus, he won week long stage races in better participation than Spilak's. Also, he tended to drop the GC contenders time and again in GT 1st weeks.

But yeah, overall Spilak has the same characteristics as a younger Rominger and the same weakness to warm weather and GT third weeks. Spilak's a weaker version but does have the same characteristics.

The younger Rominger was attacking all the time. In 1989 Giro di Lombardia he dropped everyone on Valcava with 110 kilometers to go and rode away solo. That year the last 60 kilometers were flat into Milano and there was a headwind. Still Rominger managed to drive that home with 2:30 of advantage. I don't see this style in Spilak.

Despite all these GT weakness, Rominger still won four of them and 21 stages in GT's. ;)

BTW: That 1993 Vuelta battle between him and Zülle was amazing and that course probably the best ever in Vuelta history.

Oh I know.

I have a fascination with riders who became better, worse or simply different at a specific point in their careers and the reasons for it. Fignon, Maertens, Saronni, JF Bernard, etc. And I do obsessive amounts of research on their careers.

Rominger is one of them so, believe me, I've read so much on his career I could quite literally be here for several hours dissecting his career week by week race by race almost from memory. What I'm getting at is, I wasn't trying to say he was an awful GT rider :)

Like I said before, there are differences but hrotha is quite right that Spilak is a weird combination of many (not all!) of the things that made a young Rominger different

excellent, but not elite TTer= check
Lethal acceleration on the climbs in their early years = check
Kamikaze/never say die attacks from 60 km out on mountain stages= check
Multiple GT wins = check
Competitive at 34 years old= check

The difference is the style on the bike. One climbs out of the saddle while the other more compact powerful accelerations.

Delgado and Contador

Re: Re:

Derjanse said:
memyselfandI said:
How the hell you compare riders that have not achieved zip compared another?

Freire/Mathews :lol: multi WC superman vs..bling?
Zabo/Demare :lol: multi green vs no green?

And Landa is not Gibo, so far behind yet, probably never going to catch.. :rolleyes:
It says riders with the same talent and capalibilities. Not That They Will archieve the same Results.
Freire was a World cup Superman and Maybe a slightly better sprinter the comparasing is there talent That They Can both win a springet up Hill and after a race so tough the Best sprinter are out. But a Not a good enough sprinter to win the mass sprint. That is the comparasing the op was looking for- Not riders with Similar results.
Zabel again a sprinter That was good - But Not the fastede Like demare- But Can compete On tougher stages than most sprinters. I Think it is you WHO did Not read the Original post.

It's still the same. Mathews doesn't have the talent and capabilities of Fraire by far, neither do Demare. That's the way it just is.

Jacky Durand - Thomas De Gendt, I must agree, like Dekker_Tifosi. TDG is already on his own level. He's a reference of breakaway Ace of Spades :cool:

Re:

rainman said:
Tom Simpson - Michal Kwiatkowski
Simpson wasn't near the TTer that Kwiatkowski is. Only 1 top 10 in TDF TTs, and a 9th in a prologue. Plus, I think Kwiatkowski has a lot more GC talent than Simpson did (if Sky develops him as more than a domestique), though Simpson was before my time and I never saw him race live.

TRENDING THREADS