• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Complains from Noval: Contador with no help

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
franciep10 said:
Maybe Landis, As I remember landis finished top 20 in the tour as LA main workhorse in 2004, and most of the mountain finishes he was right there with the favourites working for LA, I would think that he could've been top 10 had he not been LA b itch, and if i remember later on he won the tour.

You also have to keep in mind that Landis performed like that even though Armstrong poured Landis' blood bag down the toilet, and Armstrong/Bruyneel were hopping mad because they thought Landis had gone too hard during a time trial.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
1. Ac is the future:

Maybe it's me, but I would say LA is the future of that team: Big bag of cash and all that.

2. Riders sacrificed themselves:

They got paid for it *shrug*.

3. AC should be leadout from the start, LA hasnt proven himself this year.

LA won 7 TdF's. If that doesn't make him a very viable choice nothing does.

karlboss said:
Next if you want to dominate the tour, and they have the team to do it, run the USPS train up the first hill you hit, place these 2 riders last and chances are they can both help each other to the top to eliminate other competition.

Good post Karl.

I'm almost sure they are going to try that strategy. If you look at the route you'll see the first mountain stage to Arcalis is ripe for that. But the stage is more long than mountainous. The final climb is somewhat gradual, and eases at the top, and comes after two lesser climbs. We're likely to see some 50 riders or so bunched together 15k from the finish. The first question then becomes whether or not Astana is the mountain powerhouse USPS was and can have 6-7 guys at the front setting a super high pace - so fast that no one else can attack (they couldn't do this at the Giro, at all). The second question is whether this is the best strategy to help Contador win. In the past he's never really ridden in a train, something that Lance perfected. Contador likes to dare his rivals, and crush them with repeated attacks. Is riding a USPS like train thus the best strategy for them to employ?

If you look beyond that, Stages 8 and 9 have climbs with long descents or lead outs to the finish, meaning we very well could see regroups, and several GC riders side by side at the finish.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Contador will be able to adapt to a train up a mountain, he'll be fine. Couldn't do it at the giro...agree, but LL is no AC, LA wasn't quite in form, and apparently 2kg heavier. Under these circumstances if they tried this tactic which they could have, for the publicity if nothing else, menchov would have won by more.
Lets face it this TDF astana has all the cards. There are a number of tactics that can work for them. Think of all the stages that finish with a major climb and then a downhill or flat...be nice to jump over that with 3 riders in the top ten wouldn't it. Under ideal circumstances each time you push the downhill there are different opponents with you hence you always gain time, if not then you'll at least narrow the contenders and can mount a 2 or 3 pronged attack ala scleck and sastre.

1-2-3

Let Us not forget, it’s not just the Lance and Bruyneel. It’s Charmichael, too.

And let’s give Bruyneel the credit He seserves and then some. He owns the Tour. He’s won. What’s next? What’s the next level?

1-2-3.

He has the team to make it 1-2-3. He’s going to win but is winning enough any more, with out a statement? To win the Tour again would be huge but to come in 1-2-3 would be Johan’s logical next mark.

Astana has the team to legiitimately try to stretigically take the whole podium

Team strength like never seen before. Team tactics on a level never seen before.

ABC- easy as 123, Do Re Mi

Mar 10, 2009
www.rolfraehansen.com
The GCW said:
Let Us not forget, it’s not just the Lance and Bruyneel. It’s Charmichael, too.

And let’s give Bruyneel the credit He seserves and then some. He owns the Tour. He’s won. What’s next? What’s the next level?

1-2-3.

He has the team to make it 1-2-3. He’s going to win but is winning enough any more, with out a statement? To win the Tour again would be huge but to come in 1-2-3 would be Johan’s logical next mark.

Astana has the team to legiitimately try to stretigically take the whole podium

Team strength like never seen before. Team tactics on a level never seen before.

ABC- easy as 123, Do Re Mi

When I went to sleep last night it was 2009, when I wake up this morning it's 2002. Yes, if they can all just get their cadence to Lance's super fast level (go Carmichael!) then they can ride a train up the hill whilst chatting to each other and eating a farking picnic?!

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
Publicus said:
If Contador is the team leader, then select the best guys for the job. I would have taken Horner AND Noval. Rast has never done the Tour. You can't split the baby without killing it. Hopefully Astana has the talent to overcome JB's unwillingness to fully commit to Contador.

I just don't want to see the team committing resources to Lance the first time he gets dropped on a climb. I'll lose all respect for JB if he allows that.

agreed... it means no paulinho tho, wonder which one contador would have preferred?

Either way weak decision, picking a weaker team to keep 2 riders happy, if you picked a leader then he should be the happier... Contador the leader of astana, yeah right.

TRENDING THREADS