• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Confirmed Tour Teams/Pre-Selections

Page 9 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sad no Bernie but overall a good team. Actually weird that they don't have a flat captain, I guess Stannard will assume that role but doesn't have the experience of Knees or Eisel.

Between VK/DLG/EBH/PK/KS/GT they have six guys who can train it to the bottom of the final climb. The real question is which one is going to step up and be genuine support for Porte and Froome. Kiryienka, DLG and Siutsou are all capable of it but they haven't been in their best form since March/April so sceptical as to whether or not they can rediscover it. Thomas I don't think has much improvement in him after the Dauphine, will be good for the first few miles that's all. I will go with Siutsou or Kennaugh.

It's the Dauphine squad plus the next best climber who is available so I guess it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
Team Sky (Just announced on SSN):

Froome
Porte
Kiriyenka
Lopez
Boassen Hagen
Stannard
Kennaugh
Suitsou
Thomas

*whistles* ... that is some heavy, heavy diesel. Jesus, having Wiggins on top of that would not have born thinking about!

Colombians for the vuelta presumably.

martinvickers

BANNED
Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
martinvickers said:
*whistles* ... that is some heavy, heay diesel. Jesus, having Iggins on top of that would not have born thinking about!

Colombians for the vuelta presumably.

If wiggins had been included, sky would have been in danger of vertical acceleration. Even without him, froome, porte, thomas, ebh, Kiri and Kennaugh represent a frightening core of accomplished tters and pursuiters. Hard to look past sky for ttt, martin or not.

roundabout said:
No 4 Sky riders in a group of 8 this year. Not even 3.

The whole concept of a mountain train is clearly more suited to Wiggins than Froome; Sky don't control mountain stages because they like it as an abstract concept - it's because it's their best way of winning with a strong diesel against riders who like to ride in spurts. With Froome now leading, it's less necessary than before (though not redundant).

Having said that, I would be pretty surprised if Kiri & Lopez ride like the Dauphine rather than their March form, so I think there'll be more there than you think. 8 of the last 40 certainly (ignoring that clearly some will be used up early and drop), so it will take a concerted effort from someone well in to the top 10 riders to get them down to 2.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
Team Sky (Just announced on SSN):
Froome
Porte
Kiriyenka
Lopez
Boassen Hagen
Stannard
Kennaugh
Suitsou
Thomas

Like the rest I'm gutted for Bernie, hope he gets a spot for the Vuelta. Looks like a good team though. Stannard, EBH, Kiryienka and Siutsou for the flats/hills with Kennaugh, Lopez, Thomas and Porte as Froome's train in the mountains.

Delighted for Stannard and can't wait to see a Stannard-Kiryienka double act on the flats. Maybe people's prediction of Quintana losing time on the flats will come true.

They've also got more climbers than last year but personally I don't think Kennaugh, Lopez and Thomas, individually, are quite in the same league as Rogers was last year so could all be dropped by a strong AC attack.

CycloAndy said:
Like the rest I'm gutted for Bernie, hope he gets a spot for the Vuelta. Looks like a good team though. Stannard, EBH, Kiryienka and Siutsou for the flats/hills with Kennaugh, Lopez, Thomas and Porte as Froome's train in the mountains.

Delighted for Stannard and can't wait to see a Stannard-Kiryienka double act on the flats. Maybe people's prediction of Quintana losing time on the flats will come true.

They've also got more climbers than last year but personally I don't think Kennaugh, Lopez and Thomas, individually, are quite in the same league as Rogers was last year so could all be dropped by a strong AC attack.

Yes, quite a lot of them could make a select group of 30 but how many other than Froome and Porte would be in a group of 10 if saxo started putting the hurt on?

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Frosty said:
Yes, quite a lot of them could make a select group of 30 but how many other than Froome and Porte would be in a group of 10 if saxo started putting the hurt on?

You make it sound like teams normally have 3 of the last 10 and it's a necessity for a rider to win the Tour. Froome will probably just be able to ride away from everyone else whenever he feels like it.

Fingers crossed that Bernie can win a stage in his home race after this disgraceful decision.

Bernie's eyesore said:
You make it sound like teams normally have 3 of the last 10 and it's a necessity for a rider to win the Tour. Froome will probably just be able to ride away from everyone else whenever he feels like it.

Fingers crossed that Bernie can win a stage in his home race after this disgraceful decision.

I didnt mean it to sound like that - was just asking a question. Froome should still have Porte when someone puts the hurt on at the front and then be able to sort things out after that. We'll see.

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
MatParker117 said:
Who do you fancy for the TTT? Sky or OPQS?

Hard to say actually.

Sky has 8 very good TT'ers and Lopez is the only avreage one.

Kennaugh is essential at the start due to his track background, Stannard is a tank too and rest are pretty great TT'ers on their own regard.

OPQS however will give them a good match, or should I say tony martin will :D

Frosty said:
I didnt mean it to sound like that - was just asking a question. Froome should still have Porte when someone puts the hurt on at the front and then be able to sort things out after that. We'll see.

Who are these riders who are going to put the hurt on exactly? The top Saxo doms were in Switzerland and couldn't get that peloton below 30, so the idea there are teams with the firepower and inclination to drop everyone bar Froome & Porte with more than 10km to go feels pretty fanciful.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Who are these riders who are going to put the hurt on exactly? The top Saxo doms were in Switzerland and couldn't get that peloton below 30, so the idea there are teams with the firepower and inclination to drop everyone bar Froome & Porte with more than 10km to go feels pretty fanciful.

3 Spanish riders and 1 Colombian.

Realistically nobody can put the hurt on Froome. Really. He is very strong and I don't think he needs the typical train as Wiggins did. he has to watch for early breakaways though. That's when he will need his strong team.

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Escarabajo said:
3 Spanish riders and 1 Colombian.

Realistically nobody can put the hurt on Froome. Really. He is very strong and I don't think he needs the typical train as Wiggins did. he has to watch for early breakaways though. That's when he will need his strong team.

I'd like to see Quintana disappear up the road with Porte + Froome left to chase. It's him and Contador who probably have the best chance of making them hurt.

According to steephill this are Movistar names for the Tour:

AMADOR BAKKAZAKOVA Andrey - CRC
CASTROVIEJO NICOLAS Jonathan - ESP
ERVITI OLLO Imanol - ESP
FARIA DA COSTA Rui Alberto - POR
GUTIERREZ PALACIOS José Ivan - ESP
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander - COL
ROJAS GIL Jose Joaquin - ESP
SZMYD Sylvester - POL
VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro - ESP

Altough it is not offical seems pretty reliable, i mean, the names.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Movistar has three leaders :( Quintana, Valverde, & Costa should all get there shot... they should have each given them a lead at a GT :(

BigMac said:
According to steephill this are Movistar names for the Tour:

AMADOR BAKKAZAKOVA Andrey - CRC
CASTROVIEJO NICOLAS Jonathan - ESP
ERVITI OLLO Imanol - ESP
FARIA DA COSTA Rui Alberto - POR
GUTIERREZ PALACIOS José Ivan - ESP
QUINTANA ROJAS Nairo Alexander - COL
ROJAS GIL Jose Joaquin - ESP
SZMYD Sylvester - POL
VALVERDE BELMONTE Alejandro - ESP

Altough it is not offical seems pretty reliable, i mean, the names.

TRENDING THREADS