• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

consciouseness of plants?

on my ramble i'm daydreaming as always..........................

plants react to their surroundings is it possible that they are aware on a deeper
level/

after all they have been around for longer and possibly further along an evolutionary
path?

for sure plants operate more slowly that us humans.........but also us humans operate
slower than flies...................

just that we are mobile and posess tools to chop and judge other things within the
parameters of our own experience

..........i know!! if true where would veggies turn.........

Mark L

Plants react chemichaly, but they have no means to process stimuli in a conscious way. That's simply not a thing, and it's got nothing to do with ''judging other things within the parameters of our own experience''. There's no physical way they could, unless you'd bring up some very far fetched mysticism.

As far as where vegggies would turn... well, if you honestly can't see the difference between mowing a grass field and slaughtering a pig, let me know, I'll explain even though I've been away from this kind of ''debate'' for ages.

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Re:

aphronesis said:
It's true. Therfore I've taken to living naked in and eating a clearing of dirt. Too bad about the microbes, but they survive and my ethics can take it.
Sounds like a plan. Dirt will not give you the runnnsss as I'm to understand it is fibrous material.

Re:

ebandit said:
BigMac said:
As far as where vegggies would turn... well, if you honestly can't see the difference between mowing a grass field and slaughtering a pig, let me know, I'll explain even though I've been away from this kind of ''debate'' for ages.

perhaps you should read my post and consider the difference between asking a question....

and stating fact

Mark L

I don't understand. It is a fact.

Re:

jmdirt said:
There was a guy in Oregon in the '80s who could hear trees cry when loggers fell them.
You mean like these people?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFUDEmMjC-c

As someone who considers myself environmentally conscious, these types of idiots did way more harm than good. It used to drive me up the wall when the Nature Conservancy (who I have donated to, and volunteered for) would go to rural areas to purchase land, or do land swaps working with locals, then these kind of lunatics would come along crying over trees, and then the conservative right would react, and clump all environmentalists together, as if the Nature Conservancy and ELF were one and the same. How many wrongs does it take to make a right? :mad:

Sorry, I digress. Plants have no consciousness. They have no cerebral cortex, no brain, no central nervous system.

Re: Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
jmdirt said:
There was a guy in Oregon in the '80s who could hear trees cry when loggers fell them.

As someone who considers myself environmentally conscious, these types of idiots did way more harm than good. It used to drive me up the wall when the Nature Conservancy (who I have donated to, and volunteered for) would go to rural areas to purchase land, or do land swaps working with locals, then these kind of lunatics would come along crying over trees, and then the conservative right would react, and clump all environmentalists together, as if the Nature Conservancy and ELF were one and the same. How many wrongs does it take to make a right? :mad:

Sorry, I digress. Plants have no consciousness. They have no cerebral cortex, no brain, no central nervous system.
Yah, he must have started that cult.

I consider myself an environmentalist, we should all be concerned about our environment, but the extremest really mess it up for everyone else.

Re: Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
jmdirt said:

sentience is not the same as consciousness. and vive versa. given the primitive and barbaric stages of much western medical practice and bio science, (and recent advances of cellular understanding) I'd think such blanket statements might be checked.

Guess not. Go humans.

ebandit said:
on my ramble i'm daydreaming as always..........................

plants react to their surroundings is it possible that they are aware on a deeper
level/

after all they have been around for longer and possibly further along an evolutionary
path?

for sure plants operate more slowly that us humans.........but also us humans operate
slower than flies...................

just that we are mobile and posess tools to chop and judge other things within the
parameters of our own experience

..........i know!! if true where would veggies turn.........

Mark L
Just to kid around a bit, with what assistance do you ramble and daydream?
Sorry. Not a just question I know. Just couldn't resist. :)
After all, Einstein dreamed and questioned how things in the universe worked.

Just for grins, as for plants being slower than humans, a valid comparison requires finding a task that each specie performs. Plants are great at photosynthesis, but humans can't perform that task. In fact, we cannot compare specifics. We can only compare generalities, like:
- One large tree can lift up to 100 gallons of water out of the ground and discharge it into the air in a day. How much water can a human drink and pee in a day?
- One large tree can provide a day's supply of oxygen for up to four people.
- Trees trap more of the sun's energy than any other group of organisms on earth. Only 0.1% of the sun's energy is trapped by organisms. Trees account for 50% of all energy trapped by organisms.
- Trees are some of the oldest living organisms on earth. So on that basis if plants are conscious, who's smarter? Humans or trees?

As for plants in general, if I like them and they are in their proper place on my property, I take care of them.
If they are in the wrong place on my property, I get rid of them even if I like them.
Or transplant them if they are really special.
If I don't like them on my property, they are toast.

And there is this too: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/do-plants-think-daniel-chamovitz/ And this: https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/new-research-plant-intelligence-may-forever-change-how-you-think-about-plants Or this (watch the video too): https://www.pachamama.org/blog/do-plants-have-consciousness How much of any of that, or any of the other sites like that are over reaching is anyones guess, it could be simply tree huggers trying to "humanize" plants to convince the non tree huggers that plants are worthy of praises, or it could be simply chemical reactions going on. At this time with our technology as it is we won't know for certain.

TRENDING THREADS