• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Conta & Evans early form...

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
At least Valverde has won a Grand Tour. First trumps bridesmaid position every day of the week. Forever.

+1. Valverde's got the killer moves and instincts. Not taking down a Grand Tour doesn't diminish that or Evans, for that matter.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:
At least Valverde has won a Grand Tour. First trumps bridesmaid position every day of the week. Forever.

At least evans is a world champion.
At least evans deserves to be riding.

You really hate him, don't you?
I can at least say valverde is a strong sprinter and climber. You can't say anything nice about evans. I think that says a lot.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Galic Ho said:

Possibly...who is the better GT rider Valverde or Andy Schleck? just a different perspective.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:
Possibly...who is the better GT rider Valverde or Andy Schleck? just a different perspective.

Valverde is better than Andy Schleck.If Valverde will be allowed to race in this year's TDF he'll definitely finish ahead of AS.AS hasnt race yet this year because he is injured and i dont think he will perform well.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
Delicato said:
The 1999-2005 era created the famous myth that the GT contender should only peak in July, and not winning anything in the first part of season.

I am glad that Contador totally destroyed that myth.

i absolutely agree with you!how come LA focused solely on the TDF when there are plenty of races prior to the tour that were worth winning?he's definitely not that great compared to the other cycling greats.:confused:

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Re: Evans - each to their own on a forum but when coverage is full of commentators drolling over the 'great' Cadel Evans ('Cadel Evans World Champion I like saying that' as one is positively salivating during T-A) and magazines continually promote him as the Great White Hope for little other reason than that he's finished off the podium much more often than on and that he speaks English (same can be said of Farrar) then I'll start balking at a rider being over hyped.

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Re: Evans - each to their own on a forum but when coverage is full of commentators drolling over the 'great' Cadel Evans ('Cadel Evans World Champion I like saying that' as one is positively salivating during T-A) and magazines continually promote him as the Great White Hope for little other reason than that he's finished off the podium much more often than on and that he speaks English (same can be said of Farrar) then I'll start balking at a rider being over hyped.

That must be a difference in coverage then, I've never seen him treated as such over here.
(and when I say over here, I don't mean on CN but here in Belgium)

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:

We all agree the english speaking commentators are crap, matt keenan excluded. Magazines will cater to their country, I don't think evans would get too much coverage in the US or UK. Someoen correct me if I'm wrong, and in australia he is the only real hope for a GT victory.

Oct 27, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Thanks, impressed by the way the team rode.

:rolleyes:

Their becomes a time and point when I can't take such bs.
Come on publicus, admit AC helped valverde. Valverde even acknowledged him after the main climb of the last stage. yes evans should of jumped on valverde but AC and AV tag teamed.End of story. If you or Angliru want to have a heated arguement about it then it's GAME ON!

im not against Evans in fact,i admired him a lot when he won in mendrisio last year.but a cylclist who wants to win must do everything he can do to beat his opponent not by relying on some opponents help.Evans is not smart enough yet.Had he wanted to win,he should've attacked valverde by his own.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:

Farrar is a sprinter that can climb, somewhat. I don't think he's hyped himself to be anything other than that. If the commentators want to puff someone up that's different than the rider over-promoting themselves.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Actually, Valverde does deserve to be riding. If he'd been suspended in the wake of Puerto he'd have come back by now, like Scarponi and Basso.

Well he didn't desrve any of his wins within that time that he should of been banned

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
reyan12 said:
im not against Evans in fact,i admired him a lot when he won in mendrisio last year.but a cylclist who wants to win must do everything he can do to beat his opponent not by relying on some opponents help.Evans is not smart enough yet.Had he wanted to win,he should've attacked valverde by his own.

in that case he played tatically bad.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Actually, Valverde does deserve to be riding. If he'd been suspended in the wake of Puerto he'd have come back by now, like Scarponi and Basso.

Let me give you an analogy. Let's say a murder is solved 18 years after it's committed, that person shouldn't go to jail should they? I mean if they had been convicted and sentenced at the time then they would be out of jail by now. Sound ridiculous?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Night Rider said:
Let me give you an analogy. Let's say a murder is solved 18 years after it's committed, that person shouldn't go to jail should they? I mean if they had been convicted and sentenced at the time then they would be out of jail by now. Sound ridiculous?

No sh*t! If he'd come out with an admission; he'd be racing, somewhere. Considering what legal fallout would have come from implicating others he would still be looking for a job.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:

Sure Evans is occasionally over "hyped" by the odd person on this forum maybe but hardly over "rated" in a general sense. Mind you there are infinitely more instances of him being under hyped. I particularly liked the poster who referred to his attacks as "tractor" attacks and note that for many the only thing they can "stand" about him is on his dog.:D

Edit: I accept that this post is yet another case of someone "drolling" over Evans (we can leave the drooling to the dog.)

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Nearly said:
Sure Evans is occasionally over "hyped" by the odd person on this forum maybe but hardly over "rated" in a general sense. Mind you there are infinitely more instances of him being under hyped. I particularly liked the poster who referred to his attacks as "tractor" attacks and note that for many the only thing they can "stand" about him is on his dog.:D

Edit: I accept that this post is yet another case of someone "drolling" over Evans (we can leave the drooling to the dog.)

I like Evans and referred to his attacks as tractor types. Anyone who races know what I mean. For you, that's a guy that doesn't get clear separation initially and can tow the competition, leaving him exposed to counter attacks. Compared to Contador, Schleck and others that can snap off everyone who end up less vulnerable when competitors finally drag themselves up to their wheel. No knock on the guy; that's the talent he has and partially explains why he needs to follow a hot pace before he'll jump IMO.

Oct 25, 2009
Visit site
Oldman said:
I like Evans and referred to his attacks as tractor types. Anyone who races know what I mean. For you, that's a guy that doesn't get clear separation initially and can tow the competition, leaving him exposed to counter attacks. Compared to Contador, Schleck and others that can snap off everyone who end up less vulnerable when competitors finally drag themselves up to their wheel. No knock on the guy; that's the talent he has and partially explains why he needs to follow a hot pace before he'll jump IMO.

Fair enough - I was slightly out of context as I could not find your post at the time. The analogy struck a chord as I had not heard it before (yes I am new to racing) but it reminded me comically of the usual effectiveness of my attacks (I shall return with renewed optimism). Does not detract from the majority sentiment on the board though.

karlboss said:
We all agree the english speaking commentators are crap, matt keenan excluded. Magazines will cater to their country, I don't think evans would get too much coverage in the US or UK. Someoen correct me if I'm wrong, and in australia he is the only real hope for a GT victory.

Until Jack Bobridge comes of age.....................give him 5 years and..........

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
reyan12 said:

:confused:

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
At least evans is a world champion.
At least evans deserves to be riding.

You really hate him, don't you?
I can at least say valverde is a strong sprinter and climber. You can't say anything nice about evans. I think that says a lot.

I was amazed at his world performance but yes I thought the team voted correctly and decided to support Gerrans. Heck I even said if he pulled his finger out and went on the run in Adelaide he could win. He came close. Certain members of the forum thought I had gone all fruity in the head when I ran with that hypothetical last year. I can name names if needed and you can drop them a PM. Cadel is a valuable and talented rider. But the OP is about who is better. Valverde is my favourite rider, because of how he rides. Did you or anyone honestly expect me to side with Evans? I didn't expect you to side with Valverde in an Evans vs Valverde thread.

Nice. Evans was unlucky in last years Tour. I don't think he is as hard done by as you've painted in other discussions and part of that is because I think it is disrespectful to bash Silence...they did the best they could and tried with all they had. Yes it was disappointing for Evans but you should remember I and many others have said that numerous times that if Menchov can win 3 GT's with the right approach and targeting Evans could easily add one to his palmares. He should have by now. Others go and question why? I suspect you don't or are unwilling to question as rigorously as we do.

Problem with Evans? The complaints. They just keep coming and he plays the BS role from time to time. Like his book and team issues last year. Not to dig up the past but I and a few others called his BS out. On the SBS website half the commentators cried blue murder but woke up to it eventually. He had gotten the timing on his revealing comments off and was caught out. He is funny and entertaining. He provides me a laugh. Oh and I wanted him to win in 2008 and also in 2007 when Vino and the Chicken were booted. I woke up after 2008.

On a positive note. Evans attitude was much better after last years Tour. He tried in the Dauphine and failed. He tried in the Tour and failed. He tried in the Vuelta and failed to go as high as he desired and then it paid off with that WC jersey in Mendrisio. Evans mentality has shifted slightly. It should bode well this year for him. It has already. The reason I say things like "Sastre will beat him at this years Giro," is not out of hatred for Evans but because I see the course favouring his rivals abilities more than his. That and he is easy to poke fun at every now and then.:D I certainly won't wish anything bad upon the man. Good luck to him and I will give credit where it is due. He is a very solid all round rider who is one of the few who pushes the Spanish boys. I just like their riding a bit more. Doping doesn't really worry me. It is about the bike and their style. Yes, Lance still has some style if you are wondering. I hate neither rider or any of their colleagues. I may dislike their actions but that is not hatred. The two are separate.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
karlboss said:

Don't make me pick. I think if they both race in France they will be close. Very close. Contador a few minutes up the road but they will make a fight of it for 2nd with Menchov and Samu. Evans in the picture? I think he can top 5 if BMC get an invite. Don't know how that will go. We'll now in a few months who is invited by the ASO.

Aug 12, 2009
Visit site
reyan12 said:
Valverde is better than Andy Schleck.If Valverde will be allowed to race in this year's TDF he'll definitely finish ahead of AS.AS hasnt race yet this year because he is injured and i dont think he will perform well.

Damn, you live in South Korea. How fast is your Broadband? Light years ahead of the rest of us I suspect.

Andy being injured won't be an issue. Franck was injured last year and he was fine in France. I don't like how the Schleck's only appear to take a few races seriously. Evans, Contador and Valverde seem to make a deal out of all their appearances. If the Schleck's go to California I really would like to see them make some moves and push the Shack boys. I doubt Zabriskie will be able to and whoever HTC send. That leaves the Schleck boys to make a deal of it.

TRENDING THREADS