• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador 2-0 vs. Armstrong head-to-head

Well, now that the showdown is all over but the procession into Paris, we have arrived at the moment of truth.

Despite all the yapping from the Lance camp over the last year, we now see first hand that Contador has put foot to a$$ when dealing with Armstrong and has relegated the once arrogant champion to an also-ran.

Is there any question now that Armstrong should bow down and kiss Contador's feet for helping him get 3rd place in last year's Tour? Of course not. We now see that Lance, after taking Contador's ENTIRE TdF team, couldn't even muster a Top 20 without Alberto.

A magnificent victory for Alberto, who has now is now unbeaten in his last 5 grand Tours.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
Well, now that the showdown is all over but the procession into Paris, we have arrived at the moment of truth.

Despite all the yapping from the Lance camp over the last year, we now see first hand that Contador has put foot to a$$ when dealing with Armstrong and has relegated the once arrogant champion to an also-ran.

Is there any question now that Armstrong should bow down and kiss Contador's feet for helping him get 3rd place in last year's Tour? Of course not. We now see that Lance, after taking Contador's ENTIRE TdF team, couldn't even muster a Top 20 without Alberto.

A magnificent victory for Alberto, who has now is now unbeaten in his last 5 grand Tours.

Seriously? This is ridiculous

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Dude... eveyone knows, including Conti himself, that when Lance is in the peloton, he is the Boss...

Lance isnt even riding to win, still half of the threads on this forum is about him, half of the people watching the Tour, watch it because of HIM... thats charisma/draw Conti will never achieve...

Polish

BANNED
Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
mcknuck.jpg

Belokki said:
Dude... eveyone knows, including Conti himself, that when Lance is in the peloton, he is the Boss...

Lance isnt even riding to win, still half of the threads on this forum is about him, half of the people watching the Tour, watch it because of HIM... thats charisma/draw Conti will never achieve...

you have interesting point i wonder how will things go w/o lance in the peloton and no potential top tour american rider in near future...it might influence a lot of sponsorship money coming from US,even if ppl dont like LA they have to admit he brought a lot of money to the sport

nia O'Malley said:
He's not gone yet. Hope he doesn't come to the tour of Ireland like last year. At the same time it's only 3 days so :D

No, no. Lance worked his magic on this race, too.
One year he turns up, the next he's made it disappear.
Magic! ( and his race crippling fee)
http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/latest/471297/2010-tour-of-ireland-cancelled.html

Next race to fear the financial reaper? Maybe the T of B.:eek:

saganftw said:
you have interesting point i wonder how will things go w/o lance in the peloton and no potential top tour american rider in near future...it might influence a lot of sponsorship money coming from US,even if ppl dont like LA they have to admit he brought a lot of money to the sport

and took a lot out. See above.

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
Belokki said:

lolol. He looked pretty boss over the last two weeks.

He is only the "boss" until Schleck or Contador wins more tours than him. Which I believe one of them will. Definitely seemed like Contador until this year, but if Schleck can squeeze out a little improvement he could be winning until he's 34-35.

Contador, 2-0 vs. Lance.

Recognize. :)

Contador just put a massive beat-down of 40 minutes on Lance, who won NOTHING this year. Peaked for the Tour, then failed.

Props are reserved for Jani and Horner, the true leaders of RadioShack.
Hey, anyone interested in pacing Lance at Leadville next year? I heard he's going for the course record again. :D

nia OO'Malley said:
CURSE the damn recession!!!! I suppose we are that broke. :(

Let's blame Lance.

Well, they had to cut the race from 5 to 3 days, last year, cos money was needed...............elsewhere.
Then, he climbs off before that bit of a bump on the final day.:rolleyess:;)
Sponsors lost 40% of their potential market time but had to stump up the same amount of finance.
Not surprising really, especially when you look at who the organiser was!:eek:

nia OO'Malley said:
CURSE the damn recession!!!! I suppose we are that broke. :(

Let's blame Lance.

Well, they had to cut the race from 5 to 3 days, last year, cos money was needed...............elsewhere.
Then, he climbs of before that bit of a bump on the final day.:rolleyes: ;)
Sponsors lost 40% of their potential market time but had to stump up the same amount of finance.

Mellow Velo said:
Then, he climbs of before that bit of a bump on the final day.:rolleyes: ;)

that day when 57 riders abandoned including LA and mark cavendish ;)

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
@Mellow

Yes, and no. It really is a disaster here, financially. It just never occurred to me the thing could be called off entirely. But it makes sense, it hardly gathers any interest anyway.

The good bit is of course Lance won't ever have to set foot in Ireland again ;)

(I heard the sport news on the local radio this morning and they were mentioning how Nicolas Roche's 15th spot in the GC "is finally putting cyclism back on the map".
Terrific nerve to say such a thing, when we know there wasn't a map before 99 and to imply the irish did not consider his Lanceness the God Who Brought Cyclism To The Masses. Maybe that's why he didn't bother much last year. He didn't get the reception he thought due him)

saganftw said:
lol do you realize that sponsors decides who they gonna pay? LA asked for some amount,sponsors decided to pay him...they could refuse but they didnt,who is to blame?

The sponsors, of course. But then again, you just made the point that Lance has gotten more from cycling than cycling has gotten from him. Which was the point of the discussion to begin with. So, thanks. :)

Moose McKnuckles said:
The sponsors, of course. But then again, you just made the point that Lance has gotten more from cycling than cycling has gotten from him. Which was the point of the discussion to begin with. So, thanks. :)

i dont know how much profitable LA is for sponsors,but if they pay him i would think its better to sign him than 5 other riders for the same amount,i dont have exact numbers though

i know that f.e. michael jordan "brand" was estimated to be 1 billion dollars,so chicago paying him 30 mil a year was still a good bussines

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Hi McKnob,
With the greatest Tour rider in history (not greatest overall rider) now gone, who shall be your target of ridicule and petty, small-minded, digs now?

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
saganftw said:
i dont know how much profitable LA is for sponsors,but if they pay him i would think its better to sign him than 5 other riders for the same amount,i dont have exact numbers though

i know that f.e. michael jordan "brand" was estimated to be 1 billion dollars,so chicago paying him 30 mil a year was still a good bussines
Well you could also argue that if indeed he is why any irish sponsors are refusing to cough up this year, then he wasn't good business at all, as it must have brought them on their knees last year for little return :) Otherwise, they'd ask for more.

Roadrage said:
Hi McKnob,
With the greatest Tour rider in history (not greatest overall rider) now gone, who shall be your target of ridicule and petty, small-minded, digs now?

The same as it always was, clearly.
I can't imagine Lance waiting, with baited breathe, upon Moose's musings.
So, target, meet mirror.

Re the sponsors, fees and Lance. Clearly, the magic ingredient failed, in terms of the Tour of Ireland.
A brief, almost meteoric rise, followed by oblivion.
Not the first and not the last.
There is a lesson in there, somewhere, GT followers.;)

TRENDING THREADS