• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador 2010

Page 51 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Polish said:
Oh Crap, I thought you had me on ignore.

Now I feel embarrassed.
DON"T LOOK IN THE CLINIC.

lol'd.

Any chance that Contador has done too much too soon this year? I know in that recon article CN published he says he's still building up to the Tour, but how can he be that strong all year and still be able to go a notch up for the Tour?

This may be some wishful thinking on my part b/c, as much as I do like Contador, it would be nice if some of his challengers were, well, more challenging.

mr. tibbs said:
lol'd.

Any chance that Contador has done too much too soon this year? I know in that recon article CN published he says he's still building up to the Tour, but how can he be that strong all year and still be able to go a notch up for the Tour?

This may be some wishful thinking on my part b/c, as much as I do like Contador, it would be nice if some of his challengers were, well, more challenging.

Don't know how he does it, but he definitely did it last year (went up a notch at the Tour). He said earlier this year that while he was on good form, it wasn't his Tour form and that part of the power gains this year may be a product of the bike. Now I don't know how much of that latter is just marketing hype for Specialized, but if the stiffness of the bike (compared to Trek) is making the power transfer more efficient, then it may explain (in part) how good he has looked early.

But it could be that he went too hard in the early part of the season and is going to pay for it at the Tour.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
mr. tibbs said:
lol'd.

I think he's on track. The two classics races extended his early season a bit, but after he did the pave recon and some sponsor stuff, he took ten days completely off the bike. Now it's back to a gradual build-up again, so at first it was probably just long days and no intervals.

My hope is that the absence of a Team Time Trial this year will keep more guys in contention early, and that the additional teams will keep things animated and interesting. But if Armstrong shows up, I want Contador to attack on a climb and leave him in 2005.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Polish said:
Oh Crap, I thought you had me on ignore.

Now I feel embarrassed.
DON"T LOOK IN THE CLINIC.

:D No worries. I have to go to my ignore list to add Wheels anyway, so I'll put you back so you can say whatever you want.

I'm still suffering depression from the car crash that made me lose my job, so when I post something fanboyish or controversial, I never ever look at the three or four pages that follow. The same goes when I start a thread, like the two wheel gate ones. I put the information out there once, but then I bail completely and let the forum work it out. I'm not here to try to ram my ideas about things down people's throats. I come to share information.

I'm attentive to this thread because I used to blog about Armstrong's comeback big time - links to the positive articles, twitpics, embedded videos, I tracked his training in Hawaii on twitter. And early on, I said a few unkind things about Contador, which I've since apologized for.

But last July, Armstrong and his peeps started character assassination on the guy in English press, and only a few of us that I know of stepped up to defend the guy that wasn't around. That's why I put together the whole wheel gate thing - because everyone was on record and someone was clearly lying. It took two months, but Bruyneel was the swing vote.

I've got too much free time, so I spend a bit of time looking for new information each day, and share the good stuff. It doesn't take long - until the recon press release, there wasn't a single actual news story about Contador in any language Google does for more than a week.

Off to eliminate Wheels from my life. Cheers

mr. tibbs said:
lol'd.

I don't see any difference in his pre-tour race schedule for this year and any of the previous. Well with the exception of his efforts in the Ardennes but he did scratch a week long stage race for the 2 day Criterium International. Without doing research to support it, I'd guess that the actual race days are quite similar to his past seasons. He still seems to come into the Tour in with ideal form.

Bicycle.com has a pretty decent photo journal of AC's recent recon of the Pyrenees. This comment from AC jumped out at me:

At the bottom of each climb, Contador would often ride at the back. And often he would start off the climb by grinding a big gear to work on his power. "When training in the mountains I like to mix up my gearing...sometimes I ride way over-geared to work power and then really working on my spinning," Contador says. "But when I am in the race, I am always spinning."

http://www.bicycling.com/bke/slide/home/1,8155,s1-1-621-0,00.html

Is this unique to him or do most climbers work this way? Genuine question as I am neither a climber nor knowledgeable on training methods.

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
I have heard of local pro's when building strength base for climbing do 20-30 min repeat sets in a gear big enough for cadence to be down around the 40-50 mark. Then after several weeks of doing this type of training a couple of times a week (mixed in with other rides during the week) they move on to the next phase.

I guess that could be consistent with him coming off a ten day rest.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Bicycling Magazine covered the training rides of Alberto & teammates in the Pyrenees with lots of photos.

At the bottom of each climb, Contador would often ride at the back. And often he would start off the climb by grinding a big gear to work on his power. "When training in the mountains I like to mix up my gearing...sometimes I ride way over-geared to work power and then really working on my spinning," Contador says. "But when I am in the race, I am always spinning."

Soon enough, however, Contador is all alone as few teammates can stay even close to him once he finds his rhythm. Here he attacks on Bales Pass, a mountain rarely climbed in the Tour but feared by the riders for its length and steepness. The Tour climbed here though in 2007, and on that day Alexander Vinokourov won the stage. This year Contador and Vinokourov will team up for the Tour.

http://www.bicycling.com/bke/slide/home/1,8155,s1-1-621-0,00.html

Publicus said:
Is this unique to him or do most climbers work this way? Genuine question as I am neither a climber nor knowledgeable on training methods.

Night Rider said:
I have heard of local pro's when building strength base for climbing do 20-30 min repeat sets in a gear big enough for cadence to be down around the 40-50 mark.

A few years ago, one of my LBS mechanics, a cat 3, had decided to become a climber a la The Chicken, so he refused to leave his big ring on some nasty, nasty pitches on a 30-ish minute climb. One of the co-owners of the shop was yelling at him to shift. It was classic.

Erm, also: Contador. There, that keeps it on topic.

Speaking of Contador, the Spaniard has been tipped for a switch to Caisse d'Epargne next season following the ban of compatriot Alejandro Valverde.

Rumour has it that Ferrari Formula One driver Fernando Alonso, previously linked with forming a cycling team with Contador, could be on board together with banking group Santander, who would act as the team's new sponsor.

On paper, it all makes sense: Valverde's team will need fresh backing with Caisse d'Epargne, the French bank, due to sever its ties; also the absence of the current Vuelta champion would end any potential friction between him and AC vis-a-vis team-leading roles.

Sep 16, 2009
Visit site
thehog said:
Speaking of Contador, the Spaniard has been tipped for a switch to Caisse d'Epargne next season following the ban of compatriot Alejandro Valverde.

Rumour has it that Ferrari Formula One driver Fernando Alonso, previously linked with forming a cycling team with Contador, could be on board together with banking group Santander, who would act as the team's new sponsor.

On paper, it all makes sense: Valverde's team will need fresh backing with Caisse d'Epargne, the French bank, due to sever its ties; also the absence of the current Vuelta champion would end any potential friction between him and AC vis-a-vis team-leading roles.

Makes sense. Alonso would be better off getting involved with a pre-existing team rather than a new team.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Alberto has a new, smaller TT bike he's testing out, will ride the Spanish TT Championship if he needs more work on the bike, and isn't thinking past the Tour just yet.

: 05 / 06 / 10 :: Alberto Contador in the Dauphiné Libéré: “My fitness level is not the best to dispute the Dauphiné”
Alberto Contador will start tomorrow the Dauphiné Libéré, a race that he has been used over the past two years as a set-up for the Tour de France. This season announces that comes with the same intention, as he is “still building the bases for the Tour. Every day I have better feelings, but the physical level is not the best to compete in the Dauphiné”.

Contador said in a Press Conference today that he is “more relaxed than usual, because my plan is to take the race as in the previous two years”, but also recognizes that he will do some tests, especially in the time trial.

The course of this year offers a long time trial and two hilly finish, do you have planned any test during the race?

Yes I want to try, especially on time trial. I have a new bike, Fortunatly Specialized considered all my requests, but we have a little time and I could just train it. So I want to do it in the Dauphiné, but considering my physical condition and that the bike is new, I do not think is the most appropriate to await results. In the mountains, of course, I will go more relaxed.

What's new on this bike?

It's quite different, smaller, because before it was a little big for me. It is more compact and I can take better advantage when pedaling standing up, because I am a rider who makes many changes of rhythm.

Is this Dauphiné is a good opportunity to put the race in your palmares?

I would like to won it, but this race requires a huge effort for me and for the team and that can be paid in the Tour.

Did you take the opportunity if you have it?

If the situation is very good I’ll try, but with my physical condition I do not think that opportunity comes easily. So I prefer a more relaxed approach to the race.

Why do you choose the Dauphiné and not the Tour of Switzerland?

Because in recent years it has given me very good result. The Dauphiné is a bit further away from the Tour and that allow to change a little my preparation if it necessary, leaving more room for maneuver.

Have you looked at the entry list, who are your favorites?

I have not yet seen the list, but I know that Samuel Sanchez is in a good form and Menchov can also be a good candidate, but there are many favorites that still do not know.

You have done some tests in the wind tunnel, what conclusions did you get about your position?

They have been material test rather than position, just to test clothing, helmets and shoes, always thinking on the Tour.

Have you changed your position on the bike or just only made minor adjustments?

It is practically the same position as last year but since I have a new bike I have yet to work hard, especially when adjusting the handlebar.

Is Alpe D'Huez arrival a special motivation for you?

No, I face it in a similar way to the other stages, but certainly is a legendary climb that everyone knows and I want to climb it, but perhaps is not the most ideal for me right now. It will be hard to win there.

Do you think the 2010 Tour is more difficult than that of 2009, due to the pavé, the hardness of the Pyrenees, etc?

Tour will be very difficult in the sense that the first week is especially complicated. The Alps are not very hard, but in the Pyrenees there are space enough to shake things up. I expect a difficult and moved Tour, but a priori I like it better than 2009.

After the victory of Basso in the Giro and Armstrong falling in California, does it change the hierarchy towards the Tour?

I don’t believe so much in hierarchies, but it is clear that Basso is a great rider and although would not have won the Giro, he will be a clear candidate to win. Lance has fallen in California, but is a rider who knows himself very well, has a big experience and knows how to come at 100% to the Tour.

At the Giro has been big differences in the fisrt days, is it also possible in the Tour?

Yes, can be, but the Giro is a different race to the Tour, is a crazier race, less controlled, while in the Tour all the teams are very solid and are focused 100%.

In Italy they say that next year you will ride the Giro, is it true?

It's a possibility, but not 100% sure. The Giro is a beautiful race and that I have special affection, because in 2008 I felt like at home, but I can not say for sure that I’ll be there next year.

Have you been surprised by the level of Vinokourov in the Giro?

No, Vino is a great champion, a hard and very resistant rider. I knew he would be far ahead, despite the team we bring to the Giro was not planning to fight for the general.

What is your opinion about the Valverde case?

These things can not be so delayed in the time, this is a bad sign for cycling to have to wait so long time, about 6 years to take a decision. Should be thinking about how to take such decisions without going so long.

What program have you been planned by the end of the season?

The only competition planned before the Tour is the Dauphiné. I have to decide to do the Spanish time trial championship if I need to perfect the bike, but only after the Tour I’ll think on the final part of the season.

http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=379

thehog said:
Speaking of Contador, the Spaniard has been tipped for a switch to Caisse d'Epargne next season following the ban of compatriot Alejandro Valverde.....

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/4...Cycling+News+&+Race+Results+|+VeloNation.com)

Yep and apparently Noval and Jesus H. go with him.

And the Schlecks to Astana ???

And Fabian and Cadel together?? Funny after Fabian tols him to get out of the break at last years TdF.
Pelizotti to Sky if he clears his name ???

and some other rumored transfers.

Need more caffeine to wrap my heard around this article.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The brand new TT bike really does look small - his knees are almost on the handlebars. Photo here.

http://velonews.competitor.com/2010...rderen-is-second_119976/attachment/contador-1

Alberto Contador (Astana), who won the prologue of the Criterium du Dauphiné "It's a little surprise for me but I expected to be a good time. The route, distance, suited me well. I wanted to do it thoroughly to test my new bike, it has market . I spent a lot of time talking and working with engineers from Specialized. We still need small adjustments to the modem but I'm glad I'll have a very good material the Tour.

http://www.leparisien.fr/sports/cyclisme/contador-c-est-une-petite-surprise-06-06-2010-952951.php