• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador about to leave the tour?

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
LaFleur said:
Contador shouldn't be very bad right now. Taaramäe wrote in his blog that he and Contador found themselves about 10-15 secs from the front bunch in the end when the pace was very quick and they made it into the bunch with ease. Doesn't mean that he's in a good enough to condition to attack the Schlecks, but certainly not as bad to withdraw from le tour.

and imo he will only imnprove his shape in the coming days

rhubroma said:
Reporter Gianni Mura of la Repubblica:

"According to my Spanish friends, those who have access to the Sancta Sanctorum ('Holy of Holies') of Contador, we're dealing with a bluff. That the pain isn't so great, though making it seem bigger permits him and his team to take off some of the pressure and to prepare behind the scenes for the first real verification: which should happen on the third and last Pyrenees stage. Yet this isn't necessarily the case, for at times the Tour reserves some surprises...."

simoni said:
Maybe he is struggling. But I find that difficult to believe. Just as likely he's doing it to save his team (which isn't the best) on the first days in the mountains. I think we can expect BMC and Leopard to take some responsibility (Europcar certainly won't be able to). Its unlikely now Saxo will have to pull until the alps - its in his interest to stay below the radar (if thats possible for him). And why would he be so open about his injuries and form if he wasn't playing games?

Not just me then...

As usual, the first mountain stage will tell all. We might not see AC attack but someone will almost certainly test the water and attack him and then we'll see what he's got.

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
"Originally Posted by simoni
Maybe he is struggling. But I find that difficult to believe. Just as likely he's doing it to save his team (which isn't the best) on the first days in the mountains. I think we can expect BMC and Leopard to take some responsibility (Europcar certainly won't be able to). Its unlikely now Saxo will have to pull until the alps - its in his interest to stay below the radar (if thats possible for him). And why would he be so open about his injuries and form if he wasn't playing games "

The lame pedal action of Contador's that my wife picked up from the TV was not Bluffling, Baffuling, Buffing or any other type of Bullfling, there was summat up with one of his pegs otherwise he has a career in Hollywood after cycling. He should be able to partake in his other hobby over there in tinsle town with out too much hassle for good measure.

simoni said:
Not just me then...

As usual, the first mountain stage will tell all. We might not see AC attack but someone will almost certainly test the water and attack him and then we'll see what he's got.

Honesty I put that Gianni Mura quote, because these have been exactly my sentiments about Contador and his knee.

The only thing for sure, however, is that the mountains will give us the final verdict.

rhubroma said:
Honesty I put that Gianni Mura quote, because these have been exactly my sentiments about Contador and his knee.

The only thing for sure, however, is that the mountains will give us the final verdict.

Yup! I can't wait. Contador is going to have to bare it tomorrow!
..he'll either hammer for it or go home I guess..

auscyclefan94 said:
Even if the favourites crashed out, I don't see how it would make that mch of a difference. Contador's participation in the tour before the delay of the hearing was in doubt and he wasn't going to be participation. Some of the others lost time because of bad luck but many riders were saying that many riders are taking stupid risks and others have been badly postioned. I think Andy would like revenge for the Chain incident last year but he would still take it with open arms. If AC hadn't of crashed and Andy still thinks he would of beaten him. I don't think it changes things too much.

Sorry for my ramblings...:p

How much detail is remembered about what happened (by non-enthusiasts who don't have 1000's of posts on message boards) in the 2007 tdf? Have I made my point?

They don't ask how, they ask how many. Or so the expression goes. Which is why I am hoping it is anyone but Andy.