• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador about to leave the tour?

Page 10 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
gregod said:
sorry if reality is trolling, but what makes you think that the swelling would not have disappeared without the needles? By the way, did you ice your knee too?

I know this is way off topic and i am glad AC's knee is getting better, but it was not because of acupuncture. he also rested, iced and massaged the joint and those are things that have been shown to be effective for joint pain and inflammation in randomizeddouble blind trials.

Show some evidence not anecdote and i will be happy to sings acupuncture's praises.

Are you saing, that I do not bring the sun out by going to sleep ???

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
gregod said:
blah blah blah...
Show some evidence not anecdote and i will be happy to sings acupuncture's praises.

I am happy that you will wait for evidence, and glad that I did not - I am walking, riding and enjoying life instead of being crippled and driven mad by chronic migrane headaches.

Each for his own.....

May 15, 2009
Visit site
Saxo Bank-SunGard's line-up cruised safely through the stage:

”The stage went as we had hoped. We didn't spend too much energy at any time even though everyone seems to think the pace was high. Tosatto (Matteo) and Noval (Benjamin) are doing a tremendous job shielding Alberto (Contador from the wind. Alberto seems to be doing a lot better so we're very optimistic,” said Saxo Bank-SunGard team owner, Bjarne Riis.

“I'm feeling really strong so obviously, I'm looking forward to reaching the high mountains and not least to reaching the Luz Ardiden climb. According to planI was supposed to relax today and just finish the stage but I decided to stay with Alberto until the very end”, said Saxo Bank-SunGard Dane, Chris Anker Sшrensen.

“I'm feeling better and better. At the beginning of the stage, I wasn't sure what to think but as the stage progressed my knee was feeling less sore. Hopefully, another day in the peloton can make me ready for the big climbs,” said Saxo Bank-SunGard's Alberto Contador.

Still any doubts on his form?

Apr 15, 2010
Visit site
sticking pins in your energy pathways works.
simulating sticking pins in your energy pathways works (a pinch type device).
sticking pins outside of your energy pathways works.
simulating sticking pins outside of your energy pathways works.

in short. if you convince your mind that you're having acupuncture. you get benefits.

it works only as a placebo.

placebos do work though

lancaster said:
sticking pins in your energy pathways works.
simulating sticking pins in your energy pathways works (a pinch type device).
sticking pins outside of your energy pathways works.
simulating sticking pins outside of your energy pathways works.

in short. if you convince your mind that you're having acupuncture. you get benefits.

it works only as a placebo.

placebos do work though

Pretty much this. I don't know enough about Acupuncture to say anything about it's merit compared to a placebo. But if Contador believes in the effects of acupuncture it will help him.

Reporter Gianni Mura of la Repubblica:

Secondo i miei amici spagnoli, quelli che hanno accesso alla Sancta Sanctorum di Contador si tratta di un bluff. Non è cosi forte il dolore, ma ingigantirlo, gli consente di stonare un po' di pressione per sé e dalla squadra e di prepararsi nell'ombra alla prima verifica seria, che dovrebbe avvenire nella terza e ultima tappa pirenaica. Ma non è detto, ogni tanto al Tour ci sono sorprese....

"According to my Spanish friends, those who have access to the Sancta Sanctorum ('Holy of Holies') of Contador, we're dealing with a bluff. That the pain isn't so great, though making it seem bigger permits him and his team to take off some of the pressure and to prepare behind the scenes for the first real verification: which should happen on the third and last Pyrenees stage. Yet this isn't necessarily the case, for at times the Tour reserves some surprises...."

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Contador shouldn't be very bad right now. Taaramäe wrote in his blog that he and Contador found themselves about 10-15 secs from the front bunch in the end when the pace was very quick and they made it into the bunch with ease. Doesn't mean that he's in a good enough to condition to attack the Schlecks, but certainly not as bad to withdraw from le tour.