• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

contador acquittal: checking the pulse

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
I read every post in the contador acquitted thread.

The opinions span both extremes and fit many descriptions: emotional, cerebral, funny, ignorant, well informed, pragmatic, stupid/uninformed, politically motivated, immature, sly, legalistic, …I sensed the centre of gravity despite such extremes was still nearer the middle than most would expect. Curious enough, and mindful of the strong feelings towards another multi-tour winner, I decided to check the pulse with this poll.

The last question was polled before but it makes a difference to ask it now

my answers are underlined.

Should the case be appealed ?

Yes
No
Don’t know

Who do you think will appeal to cas ?

Wada
Uci
Both

Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ?

Yes
No
Don’t know

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas

Yes
No
Don’t know

Between the two, who would you rather be acquitted?
(note: to keep it clean, lets keep the discussion of the two out of the answer -too many threads for that)

Contador
Armstrong

1. Should the case be appealed ? YES

2. Who do you think will appeal to cas ? WADA

3. Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it? YES

4. Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas? YES

5. (provocative) between the two, who would you rather be acquitted? can I say neither? :p I guess I will say contador

I'm with Benotti, except I think WADA will appeal.

I should add, though, that I'm very conflicted. On the one hand, I think the evidence points pretty strongly to doping, and I'm a little upset that we never heard more about the DEHP results. On the other, I don't like seeing one guy, no matter who he is, singled out for an offense that I think many others are getting away with.

At the very rock bottom minimum, they could reverse Fuyu Li's suspension. If they can't at least do that, they really have zero credibility, in my eyes.

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
1. Should the case be appealed ? Yes

2. Who do you think will appeal to cas ? Both

3. Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it? No never, but then again I don't expect CAS to support RFEC.

4. Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas? No never, but then again I don't expect an acquittal by CAS.

5. (provocative) between the two, who would you rather be acquitted?
Contador
Armstrong

Neither: No preferential WADA code treatment, even though I despise miracle boy. Both caught with hands in the cookie jar - No acquittals by Dallas.

Contador = 2 year sanction. Bonus, cycling actually catch dopers as opposed to many other professional sports.

Armstrong = 2 year sanction. Bonus if Novitzky supplies the evidence to send LA to the big house.

cheers

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Why didn't you just create a new poll with this, Python?
good question alp. i did try. either i haven't figured out how to use it right, or the impression i got - only on question is allowed - is correct.

actually, i thought of putting this note inside the opening post but in my rush, forgot to insert it.

if i need some learning to do, i'll be glad to catch up.

Yes

Hopefully both

No way. He tested positive and should be banned.

No

I can't choose. I want to answer Contador since he is still riding but at the same time I don't think Armstrong should get away with what he has done.

No

Both (WADA will appeal imo, so from a PR perspective it would be stupid for the UCI to not appeal. If wada somehow does not appeal then UCI will also not appeal)

Yes

Yes

Contador

A couple of years ago i would have wanted to see any rider that doped go down. Now it has become obvious to me that 99% of the topriders are doping and that the current system only maybe gets 10-20% of the topriders busted, which is only killing the sport commercially and isn't stopping the doping usage at all. I mean what good did it for the sport that Ullrich and Basso were banned from the TDF when it does not stop the next generation (hello Contador, Kohl, Ricco, Dekker, etc.) start (or continue?) doping?

So although it pains me to say, as long as the current ineffective system is in place and they fail to start an active retro-testing system i much rather have the soccer-system of 'don't know about it and don't do anything about it'. So acquit Contador and let's watch some great cycling with him and Andy in the TDF.

Edit: To make things clear: If i was in charge i would implement a re-testing old samples system which imo would result in no or very limited doping within a few years. That would be my way forward for cycling. I prefer no doping, and would fight it but only when you have a system with which you actually can fight it.

May 12, 2010
Visit site
Should the case be appealed ? Yes!

Who do you think will appeal to cas ? Both

Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ? Don't know, depends on their reasoning

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas? See above

Armstrong, that guy is ancient history, and nobody believes he is clean anyway. I'd rather clean up the guys I have to watch the next 6 years.

Yes

Both (to be precise: if it looks like WADA will appeal, UCI will jump on the wagon)

I'll say yes. I mean, I should. Dunno.

Same as above.

Contador

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Yes

Aint sure, probably both, but surely one of them

Yes, ofc I will.
I cant understand how ppl can say no to this. Ppl who say no here favor street-mob-justice I guess. They are saying "guilty even if proven innocent". I think it boils down to the fact that alot of ppl dont like Contador, but we need to not let that go into the equation in this case.

I can udnerstand ppl being a bit relectant regarding RFEC's ruling but if CAS support that ruling or if UCI/WADE dont appeal then he should be viewed as innocent by the public.

Yes

Irrelevant question in my opinion. Ppl will just state they one they root for.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
a snap shot

Because the poll is not automated, I will be providing midroad snap shots every now and then. so far 14 voters. i'm dropping the last question from this b/c many felt it's inappropriate or inconsequential. not all numbers add up b/c some answers don't fit questions.

Yes ---13
No---1
Don’t know---0

Wada--5
Uci---0
Both----8

Yes---7
No---5
Don’t know---2

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas ?

Yes---6
No---6
Don’t know---2

Yes (the thing is wide open to appeal)

Both (and shame on either if they don't because this decision besmirches them both)

Yes (because I don't see how they can at the moment)

Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas ?
Yes (at that point, there's nothing more that can be done)

Should the case be appealed? Don't know.
Who do you think will appeal? WADA and UCI.
Will you accept RFEC's verdict if supported by CAS? Maybe
Will you put this case behind you if Contador is acquitted by CAS? It will depend on the actual opinions/basis for acquittal.

Should the case be appealed ? Yes
Who do you think will appeal to cas ? Both
Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ? Yes, but one will do.
Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas Not 100%, so no.
Between the two, who would you rather be acquitted? The clean one, if one exists.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
python said:
should the case be appealed ?

yes
no
don’t know

yes

python said:

who do you think will appeal to cas ?

wada
uci
both
both

python said:

will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ?

yes
no
no

python said:

will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas

yes
no
no

python said:
between the two, who would you rather be acquitted?
(note: To keep it clean, lets keep the discussion of the two out of the answer -too many threads for that)

contador
armstrong

i wasn't aware that armstrong was actually charged....

Yes
UCI (Just like the Pellizotti case)
Won't happen (The RFEC decision is too much at odds with previous decisions by CAS)
No (But I considered Contador to be a doper already before this positive test, so nothing changes regardless of the outcome)
Contador (actually: neither)

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:

I thought you could only make single question polls.

If each answer has a binary (yes/no) answer, you can do it. I.e. Click if you agree that ...

1 The Case should be appealed
etc

Should the case be appealed ? Yes
Who do you think will appeal to cas ? No Idea. Both should
Will you accept rfec’s verdict if cas supports it ? No, unless they come up with a much, much better reason than rfec.
Will you put behind this case if contador’s acquitted by cas No.
Between the two, who would you rather be acquitted? Contador. An Armstrong conviction would be retribution for past sins, the Contador case is about the present and future welfare of the sport

May 13, 2009
Visit site
python said:

Yes

None (which interestingly is not a poll option)

It's not up to me to accept it or not.

As long as I can call him 'Clentador'

None, really

TRENDING THREADS