• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador leaving Astana

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
interesting, who's gonna replace Conta in Astana as a GC man. or will they keep Vino as their main GC contender for TDF. but vino's staying in cycling for 1 more year only.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
if a rider leaves a team they can not sign a contract before september 1st. so all of this is way premature.

I'm pretty sure he can sign whatever he wants, he just can't announce it, though these things have a tendency to leak out somehow.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
luckyboy said:
CN says Astana gave him an ultimatum? That didn't sound like a great idea.

Must admit, that was my first reaction.

But if Astana had waited and lost out on Contador then they would have missed the oppurtunity to sign other key riders as some sort of replacement.

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
Must admit, that was my first reaction.

But if Astana had waited and lost out on Contador then they would have missed the oppurtunity to sign other key riders as some sort of replacement.

Yeah, they went through Hell last year, so I can't blame them, especially if he might take four guys with him. It sounded early on like they just wanted the publicity of the Sunday announcement of an extension. But I think it was Cyclismag that said the "nuances" to be worked out in the contract was actually a million Euros. They insisted earlier that even if he won the Tour this year, his salary was high enough.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Contador has a personal sponsorship deal with Spezialized so I can't see him going to just any team due to that. Seems Spesh may team up with Sunguard and the mystery sponsor Riis announced for next season

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
sherer said:
Contador has a personal sponsorship deal with Spezialized so I can't see him going to just any team due to that. Seems Spesh may team up with Sunguard and the mystery sponsor Riis announced for next season

Actually the prevailing theory is that Specialized is the mystery sponsor.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
La Vie Claire said:
It would be a master stroke if Riis gets Contador after the Schlecks jumped ship. Even better if Riis wins the TdF next year.

yes, it seems to make the 'logistical' sense since contador moves with 3-4 of 'his' spaniards plus marti plus his mechanic and his personal masseuse.

and riis is losing at least that many riders and staff.

the only question i have will martinelli move with contador too ?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
sherer said:
Yep. One of the Italian stories said (if the translation was right) that his contract with Specialized limited his choices. I imagine Specialized would be willing to go with him to a team that doesn't already have a bike sponsor for next year. When the Riis rumors first hit, some sites posted amounts and said Specialized money would be part of the salary. It also led me to believe that Specialized would only supply one team next year. Some said it would be a Cervelo type of arrangement. I think keeping Cancellara would mean a lot.

TRENDING THREADS