• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador reappreciation thread

Page 7 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 4, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
Never liked him. I do appreciate him. If given a choice between him and one of the Schlecks, I'd always go for AC.

Well said. The problem I find with enjoying any race Contador is in, is the fact that he rarely looks human. He generally is on his own level to such a degree that the race is boring.

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
thirteen said:
he's too polished for merely a bracelet... a troll by any other name, hmmmm?

i suggest we ignore him/her for now and, when he/she trips up, report it :)

otherwise, thoroughly not worth the bother.

I'm not a Bracelet/July fan and nor am I a troll. I see pushing around new members is sort of the done thing here....but honestly just because I can stand up for myself, to imply I'm somebody else is simply petty. Surprisingly this isn't the first Cycling forum I've posted on :rolleyes:

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
mightymac12 said:
Well said. The problem I find with enjoying any race Contador is in, is the fact that he rarely looks human. He generally is on his own level to such a degree that the race is boring.

This race was boring for a long time cos he wasnt on his own level as usually.

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Uh, if he thinks the Schlecks don't attack, he must have short term memory loss, and forgot the Pyranees.

I'm sure he remembered the Pyranees and was probably amazed they did not take advantage of his not 100% form and attack him mercilessly. The taking turns doing a short acceleration look back and stop is not an attack. They probably lost the race in the Pyranees.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
#####Moderator Note#####

I am going to delete all the Clinic related posts in this thread.
Any post continuing doping discussion after this post will incur a strike in the TdF 3 strike system

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I want to add to my earlier comment by saying that without AC and Vino (earlier) in this race it would be a complete and utter snoozefest: day after day of absolutely NOTHING happening and being forced to listen to commentators talking about painted cows, church bells and the French countryside.

I can watch a Trafalgar travel video to get pretty scenery of France. At least with the Trafalgar video they wouldn't show cycling accidents over and over that are so bad they bring tears to my eyes.

Love AC and/or Vino or hate them, but these guys and guys like them make this sport worth watching.

SarahDane said:
Contador interview:

It is said that the Schlecks need a rareview mirror, because they look back so much?

*Alberto can't help but to put a big :D on his face*

"Yeah, it is strange that they don't attack."

http://www.albertocontador.com/prensa.detalle.php?id=660

Otherwise....LINK????

Nice Mis-characterization:
:: 20 / 07 / 11 :: Alberto: “The important thing is to try every day”
transparente.gif
Alberto Contador attacked again today on the descent of the Pramartino in a quest to gain time on his rivals in the GC, succeeding in distancing Voeckler and Basso on the eve of the two great Alpine stages that will decide the overall winner of the 2011 Tour de France. “I spent the same amount of effort as the others,” he said about his attack, “but it was not too risky. It was a dangerous descent but I was always under control, never going beyond the limit.” Alberto said that it was very difficult to gain time in Stage 17 today because “there were a lot of riders behind us and it was easy for them to catch back up, but the important thing is to try every day.” Concerning his rivals, he said that he thinks it’s strange that the Schleck brothers are not attacking: “They’re waiting for me, but I’m doing my race. End of story.” And about the time robbed from Voeckler, he said that it’s a “pretty sweet payoff, because he’s a terrific rider who defended incredibly well in thePyreneesand any time that you can take away from him is important.”

Alberto believes that tomorrow’s stage is the most important in theAlps“due to it’s difficulty, but the final part on the Galibier is very open and the percentages are not very steep. Everything will depend on which way the wind is blowing.” About the Alpe d’Huez stage, he said that it’s “short and explosive, but it’s definitely harder than tomorrow’s.”

Asked whether we’ll see the same Contador who won the Giro, now that he’s back inItaly, the Saxo Bank-SunGard leader said that Giro memories were strong “when we passed Sestrière. The penultimate day of the Giro seems like a long time ago, but today I knew that we were on a typical Giro descent and that I had to try, because going uphill everybody was watching and the climb wasn’t very hard. I tried, which is important. Now I would like to be the same as at the Giro. What I can do, I will do, but the rest of riders are very strong and everybody has the same motivation. It’s going to be very difficult.”

catsnk said:
i want to add to my earlier comment by saying that without ac and vino (earlier) in this race it would be a complete and utter snoozefest: Day after day of absolutely nothing happening and being forced to listen to commentators talking about painted cows, church bells and the french countryside.

I can watch a trafalgar travel video to get pretty scenery of france. At least with the trafalgar video they wouldn't show cycling accidents over and over that are so bad they bring tears to my eyes.

Love ac and/or vino or hate them, but these guys and guys like them make this sport worth watching.

+ 1

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
In all fairness to Alberto, it's easy to forget Schleck attacks that last all of 100 meters.

The two princesses of the TDF. Boring, boring riders who are legends in their own minds.

I hope Sammy, Cadel and AC stomp these two into oblivion.

what really bothers me is that all cycling ignorants have been saying that contador isn't at his best because he isn't doping when this are obviously the efforts of the giro taking over . . . its just sad to see so much ignorance.

i have been seeing this kind of comments all over the place on portuguese newspapers comment sections, on eurosports facebook etc etc

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
slim charles said:
how old are you actually? 14?

I was right though wasn't I?

I told you all yesterday not to get excited because Contador was throwing a few desperate attacks. Stages like this are when it's won and lost.

That gave me so much satisfaction, watching him crack today. I can def. say I appreciated that from Conti!

Apollonius said:
I was right though wasn't I?

I told you all yesterday not to get excited because Contador was throwing a few desperate attacks. Stages like this are when it's won and lost.

That gave me so much satisfaction, watching him crack today. I can def. say I appreciated that from Conti!

i was right about your age, though, wasn't i?

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
slim charles said:
i was right about your age, though, wasn't i?

Is a guy not allowed to revel when he's proven right? It's not as if any of you were especially mature in your retorts. Glass houses and all that....

PS. When questioning a poster's age you may want to make sure that your grammar isn't highlighting yourself as an 11yr old.

Parrulo said:
what really bothers me is that all cycling ignorants have been saying that contador isn't at his best because he isn't doping when this are obviously the efforts of the giro taking over . . . its just sad to see so much ignorance.

i have been seeing this kind of comments all over the place on portuguese newspapers comment sections, on eurosports facebook etc etc
i agree. it ****es me off.

it was a combination of the Giro, that stupid call on the first stage, and then the crashes that did him in... major respect that he hung in there and continued to fight, hoping he'd get his legs back.

he never wants to do anything other than win and, when he didn't attack earlier today, i knew that it was simply because he couldn't.

he's human.

let the ignorant diss him. i still think he is one hell of a brilliant cyclist -- chapeau!

Apollonius said:
Is a guy not allowed to revel when he's proven right? It's not as if any of you were especially mature in your retorts. Glass houses and all that....

PS. When questioning a poster's age you may want to make sure that your grammar isn't highlighting yourself as an 11yr old.

ok, you're right and i apologize. i do hate when people do that, and i just did it. i sincerely apologize. but i just hate it when people disrespect riders who give all they have. like contador, but not just him - any rider. today we've read that voeckler is not worth our respect. seriously?
maybe i'm naive and stupid, but to me, contador proved that he deserves respect for the way he rides. as does voeckler, and andy, and just about anyone there [when reading this forum, one would think that there isn't single good rider there].

also, english is not my first language, so some mistakes in my posts are to be expected

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
For a guy who, as we now know, is far from his top form, he sure shows a lot of courage still trying to attack. It is really too bad he couldn't keep up today, but on the other hand I'm glad he is still human. If it wasn't for him, today would have been the first exciting day of the Tour.

May 2, 2010
Visit site
AC is still by far THE BEST CYCLIST OF OUR TIME. He paid his toll for the Giro and his knee problems. From the start one could see this was not a Tour for him to win. Had he been in good shape today, he would have destroyed the race.

BRAVO, ALBERTO!!!

Apollonius said:

Ok, we get it. You don´like the guy. A suggestion to you then; start a depreciation-thread in where you can roll over as much as you like.

Has the mods totally abandon this forum or what?