• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador says he might stick w/ Astana!?

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Yeah there are already threads about Contador's future, but at some point the threads get so off track and turn into a p*ssing match that it is not worth wading through the multiple pages. So why not start a new one?

Personally, at this point I think Contador should just stick it out with Astana and take his time next year to find the perfect situation for his future, whether it be a new team or joining a different team. A year goes by pretty quick and he is still young.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Actually Contador is saying no such thing - the Kazakh federation are saying that, as they don't know any different, they assume he's staying.

I don't believe anything about Bert until I've heard it from Fran

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
I don't believe anything about Bert until I've heard it from Fran

the all mighty frannie... :D

it almost sounds like he resigned to stay because of all the legal stuff...i don't quite get it as the uci said he's free?! couldn't he just work legal fees into a contract with cassie?

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
i don't get the legal argument either but it seems that contador was referring to the legal proceedings themselves rather than his actual legal right to leave.

i'm speculating it would be like a hostile takeover -' if you want out', stana says, 'we'll go to court, however long it takes, and then you are free if you win.

may be berto just wants to avoid the lengthy legal mess?

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Just a bargaining ploy.

I think he just said he might stay with Astana to drive up the offer from Caisse. But why would that work--everyone knows he wants to leave? His brother Fran is his bike mechanic and financial advisor. Would you let your bike mechanic makes the calls on your multi-million dollar contract? If I were Alberto I'd take this to court and win -- the UCI is on his side and he's got a list of legitimate grievances a mile long with that dysfunctional team.

Twisted Spoke
http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

A

Anonymous

Whaddya think? Notice the subtle difference...

se2hr4.jpg

A

Anonymous

whaddya think? And no, its not a spot the difference competition..

161hmvb.jpg

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
Walshworld said:
I think he just said he might stay with Astana to drive up the offer from Caisse. But why would that work--everyone knows he wants to leave? His brother Fran is his bike mechanic and financial advisor. Would you let your bike mechanic makes the calls on your multi-million dollar contract? If I were Alberto I'd take this to court and win -- the UCI is on his side and he's got a list of legitimate grievances a mile long with that dysfunctional team.

Twisted Spoke
http://walshworld.wordpress.com/

just for the record..........Fran is not his mechanic........he was however an upper level manager for a logistics firm in madrid , with an advanced degree in economics......but im sure your advise will be taken into consideration also:..............:rolleyes:

Oct 26, 2009
Visit site
maybe the problem is that astana could draw out the legal process and it could potentially see him miss part or all of next season...the legal system seems to have a way of moving at its own speed

A

Anonymous

He's being politically correct and not saying much because if he has to stay at Astana he doesn't want to alienate his possible teammates. At the same time, he's keeping hush because he doesn't want to show all his cards since he's going to jump ship after next year anyway if he can't leave Astana. But if it turns out he can leave then he'll still look like Mr. Nice Guy.

He's doing and saying everything right and he'll get the big payday in the end for it.

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
Gee333 said:
He's being politically correct and not saying much because if he has to stay at Astana he doesn't want to alienate his possible teammates. At the same time, he's keeping hush because he doesn't want to show all his cards since he's going to jump ship after next year anyway if he can't leave Astana. But if it turns out he can leave then he'll still look like Mr. Nice Guy.

He's doing and saying everything right and he'll get the big payday in the end for it.

He said he wanted to leave Astana before this situation with the team paperwork even came up. I doubt he much cares about the other riders on Astana at this point.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
From the info forwarded by CN on Twitter today, it looks like the failure of Astana to keep up with the paperwork means AC is now totally in control of the negotiations. If he stays at Astana, his contract will be a minefield of outs.

They might as well agree to pay him by the mile.

In terms of the competitive aspects, there are a lot of places he could find a team that could get him the win in July. And he could do worse than having Vino dragging him around France.

And this time, he should make it crystal clear who's the boss before he signs. If he doesn't, then he deserves all the trouble it makes for him.

I guess when the UCI representative said he was free to leave as a result of Astana's failure, he really meant he's free to leave next year. What a mess.

EDIT: One final thought, if AC thinks that the Kazakh's are going to renegotiate his contract to add all of those provisions/protections he better be prepared when they ask for an extension in return. He needs to go ride his bike and aim to win the 2010 TdF to ensure he is in the best negotiating position next August. Time to focus chief.

TRENDING THREADS