• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador says he might stick w/ Astana!?

Page 6 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
ImmaculateKadence said:
I understand what you're saying, but I perceive this as Contador being afraid of Vino as a competitor, which is understandable considering it happened with Lance this past year and the fact that Astana was Vino's team from the get go, or should I say his "baby.":rolleyes:

If this is a tactic to force himself out, I don't blame him. He's the strongest rider in the world and deserves his own team. He just does things that rub me the wrong way; for instance, I don't like that he mentioned Vino by name. I would have phrased that demand differently: something like, "If recent transgressions would prevent Astana from participation in the Tour, then I may be immediately released from my contract and free to join another team to assure my participation as defending champion."

In regards to his positve test demands, I agree with him entirely and would probably ask the same thing myself.

Well, Vino was the reason he wasn't allowed to race the Tour -08.

But it turned out well. :) Giro and Vuelta, cool.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
racerralph said:
Personally, I wish he'd have taken a more aggressive position with Astana, and left the team once the UCI told him that the contract was voided. But he is a bike racer, not a lawyer, and in this case, it seems that things are just going to drag on dismally, like almost everything else does, in this sport.

UCI farked up again, the contract was not void.
http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=15946

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
peloton said:
UCI farked up again, the contract was not void.
http://www.dailypeloton.com/displayarticle.asp?pk=15946

Thanks for the link. Still, I will believe it all, when I see it.
It's all just such BS!
This sport has been around so long, But it still has so far to go, in terms of organization. IMO it's all about the power hungry weasels that all want to run their little pieces of turf, and constantly trip all over each other. What defines so many of them as weasels is the fact that they do all sorts of conflicting things that fly right into the face of transparency. And they condone dirty riders, unless they are FORCED to acknowledge their guilt.
So, every year, we see nasty situations drag on, always coming to a climax on the eve of the TdF , in what seems to be attempts to get maximum exposure at all costs. year after year, blaaaaaah.
Another month and I'll be skiing in Vail, high up in the Rockies! Ask me about bicycle racing then:D

A

Anonymous

peloton said:
Well, Vino was the reason he wasn't allowed to race the Tour -08.

But it turned out well. :) Giro and Vuelta, cool.

actually no, vino was NOT the reason.. there was a lot more to it than that..

a little more research may be in order

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
actually no, vino was NOT the reason.. there was a lot more to it than that..

a little more research may be in order

I am a gallon down but Astana is lookin to sign 1 or 2 more recent offenders. Vino has been in the bus with Urlrich,Kloden,Zabel and some other duckers and convicted. If Alberto stays with a team that is touch and go for everything it has to be for cash. He thinks that he can overcome sitting out and has the talent to make it up. Astana is the long shot and he is the inside information. Good luck Alberto. Get out of town and your swimsuit before US college basketball players get to the islands. Without Alberto,Astana is not getting an invite to race in downtown Kazastan.

I think he's making the right statements. I mean, if Astana is smart, they'll know they have the guy who is highly, highly favored to win the Tour next year, and likely in impressive, dominating fashion. What is it worth to them to have this? They know this. AC knows this. If they're smart, they will work out some deal, and get AC the support he wants, and get Vino to agree to either not ride the Tour, or publicly, flatly state he'll be riding the Tour only to completely support AC, and will not pull an LA. Thus if he changes his mind, the entire cycling world will turn against him and view him as a backstabber.

Don't blame AC on his anti-doping demands either. It will keep the police at bay, keep doping down on his team, and what doping there is will be limited, and extremely covert, saving him potential public humiliation.

Still can't believe Astana, or anyone else, hasn't signed Kashechkin. The guy doped, yes, but showed talent, and just turned 29. Why is he still out in the cold?

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
I think he's making the right statements. I mean, if Astana is smart, they'll know they have the guy who is highly, highly favored to win the Tour next year, and likely in impressive, dominating fashion. What is it worth to them to have this? They know this. AC knows this. If they're smart, they will work out some deal, and get AC the support he wants, and get Vino to agree to either not ride the Tour, or publicly, flatly state he'll be riding the Tour only to completely support AC, and will not pull an LA. Thus if he changes his mind, the entire cycling world will turn against him and view him as a backstabber.

Don't blame AC on his anti-doping demands either. It will keep the police at bay, keep doping down on his team, and what doping there is will be limited, and extremely covert, saving him potential public humiliation.

Still can't believe Astana, or anyone else, hasn't signed Kashechkin. The guy doped, yes, but showed talent, and just turned 29. Why is he still out in the cold?

I guess the former applies since Kash and Vino do not like each other.