• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador speaks out on doping.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
No more of this "no comment", this time we get a proper answer from Contador.

"Q: Can you tell us you’ve won clean and can you make a strong stand against doping?

AC: Like I’ve said, I am available 365 days to doping control. I am never with an excuse. I am always in favor of the anti-doping controls. It’s good for the sport, for cycling, which I love so much. I always pass the controls with a happy face and I will keep undergoing them. "

Source: Velonews - http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=180862&page=2

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:

"Q: Can you tell us you’ve won clean and can you make a strong stand against doping?

AC: Like I’ve said, I am available 365 days to doping control. I am never with an excuse. I am always in favor of the anti-doping controls. It’s good for the sport, for cycling, which I love so much. I always pass the controls with a happy face and I will keep undergoing them. "

Source: Velonews - http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=180862&page=2

Seems to be a very politically correct answer...actually, it's not an answer at all...at least not to the question being asked.

It's a yes/no question. To say you pass the controls means nothing. Everyone passes the controls...until they get caught!

May 26, 2009
Visit site
Yep, that's the exact same reply that LA gives. "I've never failed a control". Of course, we know he has, but they never respond - "I have never doped".

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:

Looks like AC's finally been prepped. This is a non-response typical of people with media "handlers". Notice how he doesn't answer the question, but instead raises 4 points that he wants the public to hear:

1. I am available
2. I support testing
3. I love cycling
4. I always pass

EDIT: Contrast this with Floyd's disastrous first interview

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
groverjones said:
Yep, that's the exact same reply that LA gives. "I've never failed a control". Of course, we know he has, but they never respond - "I have never doped".

False.

Keep the facts straight and stop perpetuating this ridiculous internet-myth.

"On CNN’s “Larry King Live” that same year he was most direct: 'Listen,' Mr. Armstrong said, 'I’ve said it for seven years. I’ve never doped.'"

Some of the other stuff is almost legit. This is just bull...

Waiting for the LA-fanboy comments! :D

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
dienekes88 said:
False.

"On CNN’s “Larry King Live” that same year he was most direct: 'Listen,' Mr. Armstrong said, 'I’ve said it for seven years. I’ve never doped.'"

I must admit I have never seen the above quote, but I certainly have heard the "never failed..." language on numerous occasions. That is definitely what AC's response sounds like to me.

So what was the question Armstrong was answering in bold above?

pedaling squares said:
Looks like AC's finally been prepped. This is a non-response typical of people with media "handlers". Notice how he doesn't answer the question, but instead raises 4 points that he wants the public to hear:

1. I am available
2. I support testing
3. I love cycling
4. I always pass

EDIT: Contrast this with Floyd's disastrous first interview

mostly agree, still no comment, just PR "friendlier".

it's actually not PR friendly b/c anyone with half a brain reads through this as memorized talking points, too obviously attempting to shape perceptions

i give his PR people a grade of B-, but his previous "no comments" recieved failing marks, so i guess it's an improvement

pedaling squares said:
Very true, but in the world of sound bites and headlines it's amazing how well this works.

chomsky clearly defined this as "concision" 20 years ago, and yes it works fantastically well

edit: a little off topic but it's also a driving force shaping the doping debate as a whole, the only thing the majority "understands" is a failed doping control. long scientific explanations, even if correct, usually get you no where

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
lean said:
mostly agree, still no comment, just PR "friendlier".

it's actually not PR friendly b/c anyone with half a brain reads through this as memorized talking points, too obviously attempting to shape perceptions

i give his PR people a grade of B-, but his previous "no comments" recieved failing marks, so i guess it's an improvement

I agree, this is not great, but the "no comment" type of response is a bad way to go. Although I think the worst was Floyd Landis - didn't he say something like "I think I will say no" when asked if he doped? Sorry, I forgot the quote, although it is in FLTL.

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:

Before we all get way too deep into analyzing the subtext of every word in a translations of Mr. Contador's statement, any chance you can cite an original source? You attribute the quote to Velonews but link to another forum - which also does not link to an original article. Is this quote from Contador real?

If it is, it feels like carefully vetted language, very politician like. Pre-thought. Practiced. Intended to not commit an absolute answer to what seems like a simple question. I'm not keen to jump on the assume-the-worst bandwagon but I can't imagine a positive reason why a rider would need to handle a question about doping in such a way.

SteveMedcroft said:
any chance you can cite an original source?
Velonews
there's a website called google, i typed some of the quotation and then left-clicked search;)

SteveMedcroft said:
If it is, it feels like carefully vetted language, very politician like. Pre-thought. Practiced. Intended to not commit an absolute answer to what seems like a simple question. I'm not keen to jump on the assume-the-worst bandwagon but I can't imagine a positive reason why a rider would need to handle a question about doping in such a way.

it does sound strange. the correct answer/soundbite is "I raced and won the 2009 Tour de France cleanly".

simple as that.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
dienekes88 said:

he was at his most direct when he called a press conference in the 1999 tour and said "i have had cancer; therefore i would never dope" (or something down those lines)

said statement is also the main reason for a lot of people's hate for lance i think, he clearly lied (it's a proven fact he doped during the '99 tour) to get sympathy off the back of cancer, an illness which has hurt and hurts so many people and families

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
dienekes88 said:
False.

In the interest of fairness to Armstrong I have heard him say that on a couple of occasions.

"This thing stinks," Armstrong told CNN's "Larry King Live" in his first television interview since the allegations were made. "I've said it for longer than seven years: I have never doped. I can say it again. But I've said it for seven years; it doesn't help. But the fact of the matter is I haven't (doped)."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/08/26/armstrong.lkl/

I would also like to see an original quote on Contador - as the English version is most definitely 'media speak'.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
what do you expect Contador to say.

"I was doped up to my eyeballs. No wait sorry that's the secret you aren't meant to know about!"

I'm sure there are plenty of quotes from Rebellin saying he didn't dope and Di Luca is doing the same. It's only after they are caught riders like Millar admit to it

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:
In the interest of fairness to Armstrong I have heard him say that on a couple of occasions.

"This thing stinks," Armstrong told CNN's "Larry King Live" in his first television interview since the allegations were made. "I've said it for longer than seven years: I have never doped. I can say it again. But I've said it for seven years; it doesn't help. But the fact of the matter is I haven't (doped)."

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SPORT/08/26/armstrong.lkl/

I would also like to see an original quote on Contador - as the English version is most definitely 'media speak'.
He should have said, 'I beat a doped-up Jan Ullrich using a low fat diet, high cadence and training harder than everyone else. All with a haematocrit of 35 %.'

Would have been more believable.

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
He's been on the same media training course I have. Very important during Q&A that you only ever say positive things that you believe to be true. If you say anything you do not believe, then your body language will give you away and without knowing why, you will be perceived as untrustworthy.

However, if you tell yourself something for long enough, then it gets easier. The great Marc Salem (look him up, or go to one of his shows) was asked about O.J. Simpson and said that, at the initial trial, when he said "not guilty", his blink was one of the longest ever. But more recently, when interviewed, there's no hint that he's lying - he believes what he's saying.

So, regardless of the rights and wrongs of it, my semi-educated guess is that Contador (young, not very bright, not very press-savvy) is still staying on script. LAS on the other hand has seen pretty much every pretender to his throne get caught out, he believes he's acted fairly (the playing field is level) and he believes it is his meticulous preparation and unprecedented economics (a whole team built to help him win one race) that has been behind his achievements (I hate him, but I still think this statement holds) - he probably believes he's in the right and can say anything he likes with confidence.

In which regard, he will do well in politics. Alberto had better stick to riding his bike.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
Contador

After the TDF I have noticed that Contador is a fabulous rider when it comes to all round riding. He is very good on mountains and a very good rider for time trials. I do not like him that much but i guess he will have to do. Also he did not have to ride away from Klodin, his team mate on one of the mountain stages. If he kept him with him then astana would have gone 1,2,3 for the yellow jersey clasifications. He would not dop but i would keep a eye out for him.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Armstrongfan789 said:
After the TDF I have noticed that Contador is a fabulous rider when it comes to all round riding. He is very good on mountains and a very good rider for time trials. I do not like him that much but i guess he will have to do. Also he did not have to ride away from Klodin, his team mate on one of the mountain stages. If he kept him with him then astana would have gone 1,2,3 for the yellow jersey clasifications. He would not dop but i would keep a eye out for him.

kloden would then have kicked your boy lance off the podium, genius

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
sherer said:
what do you expect Contador to say.

"I was doped up to my eyeballs. No wait sorry that's the secret you aren't meant to know about!"

He didn't say anything about being doped or not. He didn't answer the question, merely stated that he'd never failed a test and it happy to be tested.

That's quite different to saying you don' use anything.

This way if he ever pops positive he won't have lied before.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
quarterpounder said:

Good enough for me :D

TRENDING THREADS