• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contador: Vuelta new mountain (nice video)

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Nice video of Alberto Contador training on the new and incredibly hard mountain to be climbed at this year's Vuelta. Great comments and anecdotes by Alberto.

This area is where he used to train as a teenager. He used to take his bike on a train from his home near Madrid and after 2 hours he would get off the train, leave his backpack at a bike shop and start pedalling in the area around where the video was shot (Sierra de Navacerrada - Madrid). Then he would do the return trip back home. Since he caught the early train from Madrid, the first stops where full with people dressed for work at the office. Many complaints by these because of the greasy stains from Alberto's bike :D

He's talking about how hard this mountain is: you must remain seated because of the terrain (concrete). Only 3 km but similar to Angliru, Pla de Corones or Mortirolo.

Looking forward to watching this stage after seeing him grab his third Tour. Cheers!

http://www.marca.com/2010/06/25/ciclismo/1277462676.html

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
That looks like a fantastic stage and Bert looks like he is in great shape actually. This probably is even more confirmation that he will be doing the Vuelta this year.

But am I the only one who finds it funny tha the says that you need to remain seated, although throughout the video he standing on the pedals:D

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
Nice footage. Somehow I get a better sense of a mountain this way, with all the inappropriate angles and without spectators, than seeing it "live" during a stage. It looks a beast.

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Barrus said:
That looks like a fantastic stage and Bert looks like he is in great shape actually. This probably is even more confirmation that he will be doing the Vuelta this year.

But am I the only one who finds it funny tha the says that you need to remain seated, although throughout the video he standing on the pedals:D

That, and the train high and sleep low :D

There is no mention to the Vuelta in the video. That's the closest thing to altitude training he can get near home. And he sounds as if he got a strong cold. Nor surprising, as the weather there has been ugly recently.

Nevertheless, sports daily Marca is obviously playing part of the Vuelta campaign to promote the stage.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:

There is no mention to the Vuelta in the video. That's the closest thing to altitude training he can get near home. And he sounds as if he got a strong cold. Nor surprising, as the weather there has been ugly recently.

Nevertheless, sports daily Marca is obviously playing part of the Vuelta campaign to promote the stage.

icefire, your post just lead me to think about berto's training and then to a question - perhaps he supplements his training with some home based altitude simulating tent/device ?

as far as i know just about all top riders at one time or another referred to that type of home-based device.

have you ever read or heard anything along those lines for berto ?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
python said:
icefire, your post just lead me to think about berto's training and then to a question - perhaps he supplements his training with some home based altitude simulating tent/device ?

as far as i know just about all top riders at one time or another referred to that type of home-based device.

have you ever read or heard anything along those lines for berto ?

I've never heard or read anything on Berto using a hipoxic tent, but I'm not the most up-to-date with news around him. Just try to help with translation ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
He also had his TT bike on top of the car, so I wonder what his training would have looked like. He first climbs an incredibly steep mountain, and then goes on to do some TT practicing, or vice versa?

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Tom T. said:
That road surface looks rough. Nice-looking, though. Can't wait to see it in the Vuelta.

True. It's rough concrete for improving the grip of the maintenance vehicles that regularly go to the antenna station at the summit. Ice and snow usually last there until May.

icefire said:
True. It's rough concrete for improving the grip of the maintenance vehicles that regularly go to the antenna station at the summit. Ice and snow usually last there until May.

Very steep roads like that are normally rough throughout Spain. I live in Asturias (northern coastal region) and they use such rough surfaces to help with traction when wet. It´s horrible decending on them.

Back on topic; I truly hope (doubtful though) AC rides La Vuelta. I´m planning to climb the Los Lagos stage finish. It´s a killer. Would be great to see him there.

Jun 23, 2009
Visit site
icefire said:

Maybe that a person who is heavier has to stay seated but Alberto just has a weight of about 60 kilos. He didn't rule out to ride the Vuelta but there isn't a decision yet. The video is great and it was in this area where Alberto when he was 13 left his older brother behind him when he was climbing and someone said to his (Alberto's) father," Paco you must get Alberto into a team the kid is not normal."I think he is speaking like always. He had to undergo surgery of his nose and in the throat area after a crash and he attends speech therapy.
:cool:

Jun 22, 2010
Visit site
Tangled Tango said:
Very steep roads like that are normally rough throughout Spain. I live in Asturias (northern coastal region) and they use such rough surfaces to help with traction when wet. It´s horrible decending on them.

Back on topic; I truly hope (doubtful though) AC rides La Vuelta. I´m planning to climb the Los Lagos stage finish. It´s a killer. Would be great to see him there.
That looks like a 20% grade at least;AC even seemed to be struggling on one part of the climb; the sprinters will abandon before that stage

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
Bike Boy said:
Thanks for posting.

how unpleasant those last 4 km must feel for the riders, especially considering the altitude.

There's another factor not mentioned in the video. The place can be quite windy and there's no shelter at all.

TRENDING THREADS