• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contaminated Meat from South America?

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
The story didn't come from Contador or his attorneys - it came from a man in the meat business that doesn't like that the EU is bringing in meat held to lower standards than he and his colleagues abide by.

I posted this story and some others in the Contador legal team thread. Only in in every 1199 of the Spanish cattle are tested for Clenbuterol. And this article says that 2 million tons - 4 BILLION pounds if my math is correct, of meat went into Spain from South America where Clenbuterol is legal, and one of the main ports where it arrives is nine miles from Irun.

But again, the South American meat story didn't come from Contador, so it's ridiculous to say that he and his lawyers are reaching. Have a great day.

Ramón Riestra
Espana_importa_carne_clembuterol.jpg

Saint-Jean-de-Luz, where apparently "most" South American meat is unloaded:
0192367001210365902.jpg

This is nonsense. Just one guy ****ed off by the competition and perhaps wanting his 15 minutes of fame.

Sep 14, 2010
Visit site
Of course the farmers are going to try to use this as a pedestal to fight against imports. I would do the same thing. Speaking of which, have any of you seen my torch and pitch fork?

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:
The story didn't come from Contador or his attorneys - it came from a man in the meat business that doesn't like that the EU is bringing in meat held to lower standards than he and his colleagues abide by.

I posted this story and some others in the Contador legal team thread. Only in in every 1199 of the Spanish cattle are tested for Clenbuterol. And this article says that 2 million tons - 4 BILLION pounds if my math is correct, of meat went into Spain from South America where Clenbuterol is legal, and one of the main ports where it arrives is nine miles from Irun.

But again, the South American meat story didn't come from Contador, so it's ridiculous to say that he and his lawyers are reaching. Have a great day.

So what? They still tested thousands of samples in Spain without a single positive. You don't have to test every single sample to get an idea of the probability of meat being contaminated with clen.

theswordsman said:
And this article says that 2 million tons - 4 BILLION pounds if my math is correct,
Your math is correct, but as always garbage in will lead to garbage out.
At the moment the figure of beef imported from MERCOSUR to the EU27 is roughly 300000 tons p.a.
What this campesino is telling us is nothing more than, "man those open trade talks that are currently[1] going on between EU and MERCOSUR are really scaring my ars3 off. Please stop this madness as it clearly is also a collosal threat to our athletes´ achievements".

of meat went into Spain from South America where Clenbuterol is legal, and one of the main ports where it arrives is nine miles from Irun.
Which happens to be right across the border in... of course, France.

[1]The amount of imported beef/meat will indeed rise and be a threat to some EU farmers, but there is still a long way to go until a treaty will be reached and currently every side is trying to get the best out of it.
Go figure.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
hfer07 said:
the usual excuse: Blame a third world country product for a doping violation:rolleyes:
Did AC lawyers get the idea from Simoni and his Peruvian candies? ;)
At a guess I'd say that the imports are coming from Brazil and Argentina. Neither of whom would be impressed to be described as 'third world'.

Tyler's Twin said:
So what? They still tested thousands of samples in Spain without a single positive.
The irony of someone posting in the Clinic that no positives = no problem is just too hilarious to be true. I admire you for keeping a straight face but please tell me you're joking. :rolleyes:

Did Alberto know he was getting South American meat when the order was sent out from the Pyrenees? I thought that if they were going to such a hassle to drive meat for two hours they would have got some of Spain's finest. What is the quality of the South American imports like? Better or worse than the stuff in France?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
Did Alberto know he was getting South American meat when the order was sent out from the Pyrenees? I thought that if they were going to such a hassle to drive meat for two hours they would have got some of Spain's finest. What is the quality of the South American imports like? Better or worse than the stuff in France?

well its Clen'd up for one thing and can do a 3 week tour of South America in record time with amazing powers of recovery:D

May 26, 2009
Visit site
So now the Contador defence is going to be:

A farmer in South America injected a cow with Clenbuterol. The cow was slaughtered and the meat was prepared for transportation to Europe. The meat travels by ship to a port in France where it's bought by a meat vendor from Spain. The meat vendor takes it to his shop.
MEANWHILE in the Tour Contador's chef doesn't like the meat they get from France and asks Contador to call his friend to bring some meat with him.
NOW the friend goes to his nearby meat shop, buys a piece of meat, takes it with him to France and gives it to Contador's chef. The chef prepares the meat and Contador and his team eat it on two consecutive days. On the rest day Contador tests positive for Clenbuterol.
UNFORTUNATELY no other team mates who ate the meat were tested and the only other Astana rider tested was Vino who UNFORTUNATELY didn't eat with the team the day they had the meat.

I don't know why but something here doesn't seem right...

Ferminal said:

this is a fair question about the quality of meat and it's one i wondered about early on (before it became quite clear that the whole meat contamination story is 100% fiction)

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I keep seeing people express skepticism that Vino didn't eat the same steak as the rest of the team. Whatever you think about the rest of AC's defense, the "Vino ate something different" is very plausible. I read an article/interview back in the spring/summer about Vino, and it mentioned that he is very particular about his eating habits, and hardly ever eats red meat during the season - preferring fruits/veg and a bit of fish. It actually would suprise me if Vino had eaten a steak during a grand tour.

Also - during the Tour, the Astana separated into two groups for the rest days, with the Spaniards training together, and Vino/Max/Grivko training together separately. The Spaniards put in fewer KMs on the bike on the rest day, and the Vino group did a much longer ride. It wouldn't surprise me that they would eat meals at different times. I was a big Astana fan this year, and back then, hearing about the two separate groups on rest days gave me pause about how unified the team actually was behind the scenes.

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
RdBiker said:
So now the Contador defence is going to be:

A farmer in South America injected a cow with Clenbuterol. The cow was slaughtered and the meat was prepared for transportation to Europe. The meat travels by ship to a port in France where it's bought by a meat vendor from Spain. The meat vendor takes it to his shop.
MEANWHILE in the Tour Contador's chef doesn't like the meat they get from France and asks Contador to call his friend to bring some meat with him.
NOW the friend goes to his nearby meat shop, buys a piece of meat, takes it with him to France and gives it to Contador's chef. The chef prepares the meat and Contador and his team eat it on two consecutive days. On the rest day Contador tests positive for Clenbuterol.
UNFORTUNATELY no other team mates who ate the meat were tested and the only other Astana rider tested was Vino who UNFORTUNATELY didn't eat with the team the day they had the meat.

I don't know why but something here doesn't seem right...

What's wrong with it?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Ferminal said:

That's why I love the irony of this Spanish Beef Trade flak rushing to support Alberto. If Contador's people said they actually wanted only the finest Spanish beef and were certain they had purchased a tainted version; the same Trade Asso would be howling for Bertie's head on a pike.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
theswordsman said:

Alright. If that's the case why aren't all Spanish athletes testing pos for clen?

I'm sure they're not all vegetarians, and not all eating only 'Spanish' beef.

If that's the argument, they may want a few corroborating episodes. And not ones from China...

PR machines are pretty good at creating 'fog'.

JMBeaushrimp said:
Alright. If that's the case why aren't all Spanish athletes testing pos for clen?

If that's the argument, they may want a few corroborating episodes. And not ones from China...

This presumes that they are even testing any Spanish athletes. The (vanishing) evidence from OP suggests otherwise.

This is why some have suggested using the fact that Spain lets everyone off the hook as a defense strategy. Queue Aldirto to explain his doping program as defense exhibit A.

Dave.

Jul 6, 2010
Visit site
D-Queued said:
This presumes that they are even testing any Spanish athletes. The (vanishing) evidence from OP suggests otherwise.

This is why some have suggested using the fact that Spain lets everyone off the hook as a defense strategy. Queue Aldirto to explain his doping program as defense exhibit A.

Dave.

I'm trying hard to not pull in all Spanish feds, by reason of not sounding like a conspiracy theorist.

Mind you, their footballers seem to have an awful lot of jam in the last thirty minutes...

Didn't Nandrolone first gain press prominence from Spanish 'ballers? For once they actually beat cyclists to the punch. I'm sure it was all from imported beef, though...

May 26, 2010
Visit site
JMBeaushrimp said:

it maybe the test that caught Contador is new and has not been applied across all labs?

and it may also be that all the meat coming from Sth America is not full of clen?

I imagine the farmers will win this one :D

TRENDING THREADS