• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Contaminated Meat from South America?

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
TubularBills said:
sounds familiar...

"I'd like to see those controls. It's very easy. They send a proper first batch and, after the controls, the bulk of the lot. Or they fix it with a bribe. I have a relative who was a health inspector and he told me that there wasn't anything to do."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...ed-meat-from-South-America.aspx#ixzz167ffj8IV

This Riestras guy... a former pro road racer who happens to be a farmer (and current AC fanboy).

I can't believe VeloNation ran with this lame "non-story" story. Some guy we've never heard of, claims to be an ex-pro from the good 'ol days, has some cousin who is a lazy do-nothing health inspector. Real smart Velonation! Bravo!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
BotanyBay said:
This Riestras guy... a former pro road racer who happens to be a farmer (and current AC fanboy).

I can't believe VeloNation ran with this lame "non-story" story. Some guy we've never heard of, claims to be an ex-pro from the good 'ol days, has some cousin who is a lazy do-nothing health inspector. Real smart Velonation! Bravo!

..and it's still irrelevant unless Alberto can find some real evidence he was "tainted". Actually it's relevant if the case is argued in the court of public opinion and that seems to be where Alberto and Astana want to debate.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
TubularBills said:
sounds familiar...

"I'd like to see those controls. It's very easy. They send a proper first batch and, after the controls, the bulk of the lot. Or they fix it with a bribe. I have a relative who was a health inspector and he told me that there wasn't anything to do."

Read more: http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...ed-meat-from-South-America.aspx#ixzz167ffj8IV

That is great as now we will see Alberto in the'11 tour and the tour of Colorado. I would have blamed South America from the get go.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
flicker said:
That is great as now we will see Alberto in the'11 tour and the tour of Colorado. I would have blamed South America from the get go.

No, Flicker. You would blame the hatred and jealousy of...

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Chuffy said:
The irony of someone posting in the Clinic that no positives = no problem is just too hilarious to be true. I admire you for keeping a straight face but please tell me you're joking. :rolleyes:

No positive test means there isn't anywhere near enough clen in the meat to cause a positive test for the athlete eating it, ergo, no problem.

No positive tests might not prove that cattle aren't being treated with clen, but that is irrelevant to this discussion. What matters is the risk of ingesting clen from meat in the EU and the tests show that risk is almost non-existant.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think it is kinda cool, first it was Spanish beef, well not so good no clen found in Spanish beef so now he blames southamerica. Balls conti has after spain plundered and genocided the americas. You can't kick us when we are down conti, cause smallpox ain't an option now. every one knows our beef is full of clen here...

flicker said:
I think it is kinda cool, first it was Spanish beef, well not so good no clen found in Spanish beef so now he blames southamerica. Balls conti has after spain plundered and genocided the americas. You can't kick us when we are down conti, cause smallpox ain't an option now. every one knows our beef is full of clen here...

I feel your passion but not appropriate here. In fact really quite offensive. Stupid post and out of character for you F.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Week how can the meat first be from spain, then from maybe argentina paraguay or uraguay. Oh well if we turn over enough shells we might find the coin. it would be like floyd saying was it the jack daniels johnny walker red or the ole turkey.

We have a new non meat take from Rubiera (I've added the full link at the end if you get that far - worth it for other meat related news:rolleyes:)

Meanwhile Contador’s compatriot and former team-mate Jose Luis Rubiera has said that he believes meat is not the only possible source.

Speaking to the El Pedal de Frodo site (and reported by the Contador Notebook webpage), he floated the possibility that it could have entered his system in another manner. “About the meat—I think that he believes it, but I can understand that it may not sound believable to people,” he said.

“Sometimes at the finish line we take proteins and amino acids, and in my opinion it may be this type of contamination, although it’s also possible that it could’ve come from the meat. I don't imagine that he would've drunk water handed over by some spectator.

He said that he was convinced that Contador didn’t ingest the substance voluntarily, and that the levels were so low that he didn’t consider a sanction justified.

“Although it also seems unfair that he be treated one way and other people in another. I think that the UCI should consider that if someone now is serving a penalty for small amounts of substances, a limit should be set under which there is no influence on performance, and where there is no punishment. What’s the influence of 50 picograms on performance?”

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...eat-caused-positive-test-for-Clenbuterol.aspx

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
ferryman said:
We have a new non meat take from Rubiera (I've added the full link at the end if you get that far - worth it for other meat related news:rolleyes:)

Meanwhile Contador’s compatriot and former team-mate Jose Luis Rubiera has said that he believes meat is not the only possible source.

Speaking to the El Pedal de Frodo site (and reported by the Contador Notebook webpage), he floated the possibility that it could have entered his system in another manner. “About the meat—I think that he believes it, but I can understand that it may not sound believable to people,” he said.

“Sometimes at the finish line we take proteins and amino acids, and in my opinion it may be this type of contamination, although it’s also possible that it could’ve come from the meat. I don't imagine that he would've drunk water handed over by some spectator.

He said that he was convinced that Contador didn’t ingest the substance voluntarily, and that the levels were so low that he didn’t consider a sanction justified.

“Although it also seems unfair that he be treated one way and other people in another. I think that the UCI should consider that if someone now is serving a penalty for small amounts of substances, a limit should be set under which there is no influence on performance, and where there is no punishment. What’s the influence of 50 picograms on performance?”

http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/6...eat-caused-positive-test-for-Clenbuterol.aspx
could be. could be many things.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
flicker said:

Contador should of gone with the French Tennis player Richard Gasquet kissed on the lips by a cow/slut excuse or whatever.

If they (Contador/advisors) havnt sussed what continent this piece of steak originated from then they are toast. Its Kinda funny Contador hasnt been sacked by Riis and contract terminated.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
sublimit said:
Contador should of gone with the French Tennis player Richard Gasquet kissed on the lips by a cow/**** excuse or whatever.

If they (Contador/advisors) havnt sussed what continent this piece of steak originated from then they are toast. Its Kinda funny Contador hasnt been sacked by Riis and contract terminated.

Riis is probably waiting for the sponsors cheque to clear before offloading Contador or the ban to come through, which ever arrives first.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
bobke babble

Can someone help me to decode this bobrollism ? Is he saying that contador will get a 2-year sanction or that he'll race in 2011 ?

bob roll said:
Contador himself has threatened to quit the sport if the RFEC imposes any sanction against him. This is the only piece of the puzzle that I know to be untrue. If Contador is sanctioned and serves a suspension he will race again and I want everyone to mark it down in their calendar for two years from July 2010 and that you read it here first. This is Bobke's prophecy for the week. Although a gestation period similar to that of the African Elephant will be required, it will come to pass.

http://www.versus.com/blogs/the-experts-opinion/breaking-down-the-contador-situation/

flicker said:
could be. could be many things.

That's the point. Using clenbuterol is highly risky even in the off-season (as it is not a natural substance) and it is highly doubtful it has a desirable effect. I think Contador has no idea where this comes from and that he, to have an explanation, made up the beef story, not expecting such a wash of reactions from everybody. With many reactions a defense will always look poor (I suggest you go and see a clear court case if you don't believe that) and he underestimated that.

Arnout said:
... Contador ... made up the beef story, not expecting such a wash of reactions from everybody. With many reactions a defense will always look poor ... and he underestimated that.

Yes. How very naive of him and his brother to expect few reactions.

It was fascinating to watch big business start to weigh in on this too.

Contador probably never thought about the consequences of upsetting one of Spain's biggest, strongest industries. You don't want to be doing that sort of thing in Spain or pretty soon you'll find yourself all out of friends. :D

May 26, 2010
Visit site
L'arriviste said:
Yes. How very naive of him and his brother to expect few reactions.

It was fascinating to watch big business start to weigh in on this too.

Contador probably never thought about the consequences of upsetting one of Spain's biggest, strongest industries. You don't want to be doing that sort of thing in Spain or pretty soon you'll find yourself all out of friends. :D

you especially dont want to upset any industry when the current financial climate in euro-land is fragile enough.

Benotti69 said:
you especially dont want to upset any industry when the current financial climate in euro-land is fragile enough.

The Euro is doomed... follow it two years out.

Cause: No central Bank or regulatory vehicle.

Free Trade doesn't work in an environment of personal interest. Look at Wall Street.

TRENDING THREADS