• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson is worse for cycling than McQuaid

Page 11 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
"We have to move on and I think we are in a different era now. I'm pleased that the athletes can compete at the highest level without going down that road. The job of UCI is cooperating with WADA and find out those children, if they have the ability, they can go to the top of the sport, without having to lie and take the medicine that will damage their health."

The post horse steroid era? :rolleyes:

Hawkwood said:
The `problem' is that at what point does an illness become a disability and then falls under disability legislation? For example can asthma be listed as a disability, and hence people with it are covered by disability legislation?

They've got a rule for that. Which one? Wait to see what the UCI publishes and be amazed!!!

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Brian Cookson OBE ‏@BrianCooksonUCI

To the many who have raised the issue of a certain women's team kit, we are on the case. It is unacceptable by any standard of decency.

An independent investigation perhaps?

Good to know Cookson is serious about the things that are important.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Netserk said:
What's the big fuss about that kit :confused:

Sure it's fugly, but for the UCI to interfere :eek: :eek:

The way the kit is designed it does look like they're not wearing anything on the midriff and crotch.

I can see wy the UCI may want to interfere, not sure if I agree or not.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
Catwhoorg said:
To be fair, that kit is grossly offensive and the UCI should be stopping it.

sniper said:
this.
the kit is embarrassing to the point of being hilarious.
cookson tweeting about it is just embarrassing.

Are you guys serious? Do you not like the female form? Are you embarrassed by it? Or find it offensive?

If team management made them wear it against their will, then yes, I agree. Otherwise...

How the heck did it get approval in the first place?

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
'grossly offensive'?

BxaVPtRIUAAGzGZ.jpg

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Of course it's offensive. I don't see why Cookson shouldn't be involved.

Even if he isn't solving all the big problems to everyone's liking, there's no reason he shouldn't take on the small stuff that could probably be resolved with all of one letter or phone call.

If it takes a small portion of one of his days to get rid of that innapropriate atrocity of design, then I see no reason why he shouldn't. If women's cycling is working to make itself more legitimate, team kits such as that Colombian embarrassment are hardly the way forward.

To pretend that that "costume" is anything other than demeaning to women, is disingenuous.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Those kits are ugly that is for sure. It also a nude tone around the lower body which is somewhat inappropriate whether it be for men or women.

I can see why people would be offended by the kit.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:
Are you guys serious? Do you not like the female form? Are you embarrassed by it? Or find it offensive?

If team management made them wear it against their will, then yes, I agree. Otherwise...

My guess would be that the women on the team, if even paid, don't have a say in anything on that team. So it would be wear the kit or bye bye!

Did any of the top women of the sport tweet their opinions? Vos, Pooley, Armistead, Bronzini........

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
I dont disagree that the kit is horrible, but why does Cookson need to be "on the case"?

Shouldnt he have bigger and better things to worry about?

This to me just looks like Cookson jumped at another opportunity at getting some PR, while as usual ignoring the real issues.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
the sceptic said:
I dont disagree that the kit is horrible, but why does Cookson need to be "on the case"?

This to me just looks like Cookson jumped at another opportunity at getting some PR, while as usual ignoring the real issues.

I agree Cookson is going to jump on any change he makes to make himself look proactive, when in reality the major problems of the sport are being ignored.

Edit: still a terrible kit to make women wear

the sceptic said:

The mistreatment of women's cycling *is* a real issue, and this particular thing doesn't take a lot of effort or resources to fix. So what's the problem? Whoever gives that team a call probably won't be an antidoping expert or someone tasked with cleansing the UCI from corruption.

Sounds to me like some people just want to use any opportunity to attack Cookson, no matter what he does.

laurel1969

BANNED
Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Granville57 said:

Even if he isn't solving all the big problems to everyone's liking, there's no reason he shouldn't take on the small stuff that could probably be resolved with all of one letter or phone call.

If it takes a small portion of one of his days to get rid of that innapropriate atrocity of design, then I see no reason why he shouldn't. If women's cycling is working to make itself more legitimate, team kits such as that Colombian embarrassment are hardly the way forward.

To pretend that that "costume" is anything other than demeaning to women, is disingenuous.

Exactly.

Women's cycling IS one of the big issues, and sexism is a major factor.

Its incredible to see some try to use this to bang on about Cookson.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Dear Wiggo said:

just for the record, i think you mistook my stance. I agreed with netserk and sceptic that Cookson tweeting about it is more worrying than the kit itself.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
Granville57 said:

sure, but cookson did a great job drawing loads of unnecessary attention to it.

TRENDING THREADS