• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson Q&A on Twitter

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
thehog said:
I believe not.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/22997066

Lance knows Cookson is going nowhere with T&R.

Cookson signed off on the Landis suit.

You think he wants T&R?

For once Lance is right.

The reason Lance could kick everyone around was because he knew the UCi would back him. That he could never test positive. The UCI management committee is as much to blame for what happened in cycling as is Armstrong.

Why all this moralising from the management committee? It's their heist along with Hein and Pat.

From his manifesto:

In relation to a full Truth and
Reconciliation process, while there
are a number of practical legal issues
that require consideration, if these
can be overcome, I would welcome
such a process. What I am absolutely
committed to is ensuring that any
allegations which implicate the UCI
over historic doping cover-ups are
fully and independently investigated.
I will ensure that we have a quick
and effective process to establish
the facts. This process will include
working with WADA to ensure that
athletes and others who co-operate
with that investigation are treated
properly, in the same way that
USADA managed its investigation
into Lance Armstrong.

British Cycling president Brian Cookson said he would expect honorary president of the UCI Hein Verbruggen to testify in any future inquiry to be held into cycling’s murky doping past.

“No one is above and beyond any involvement in that process,” said Cookson, who is bidding to replace Irishman Pat McQuaid as president of the sport’s world governing body.

Cookson admitted there was a “perception” held by “many riders, the media and the public” that the UCI turned a blind eye to positive tests by the American during his 1999-2005 Tour reign. The 62-year-old said those allegations had to be settled if the sport was to move on successfully and pledged to do so “within my first six months” if elected.

“We haven’t yet got to the bottom of those allegations … and we need to have an independent, forensic examination of that era and need to conclude that very quickly,” he said.

Cookson added he would welcome an inquiry similar to the Mitchell Report, a 21-month investigation into widespread doping in the Major League Baseball.

“That’s the kind of in-depth independent inquiry that I would like to see,” said Cookson.

Any such inquiry could implicate Verbruggen, who held the UCI presidency until 2005 — when Armstrong won his seventh and last yellow jersey.

Both Verbruggen and McQuaid have already denied accusations of cover-ups.

“Not only would this never have been allowed, but there simply was nothing to cover up. Armstrong, nor his teammates, never tested positive,” Verbruggen said in February.

But Cookson said no one, including Verbruggen, should be beyond giving testimony.

“If we have an inquiry into what happened into the past, then those people who were involved at that time were involved, and will have to be involved in that,” he said. “I would imagine at some point we would have to hear what Hein has to say. Let’s take it in due course.”

Responding to a question referring to suspicions over the success of the British Sky team — which won the 2012 Tour de France through Bradley Wiggins and is the favorite to win this year with Chris Froome — Cookson refuted that his close links to the British team would cause controversy.

“No team is above scrutiny and if there are people who have questions to ask, then they need to keep asking them,” he said. “We need eternal vigilance to make sure everyone is obeying the rules in anti-doping and Team Sky have as much responsibility as any other team to obey the rules.”

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/06/news/cookson-doping-inquiry-would-call-on-verbruggen_291963