• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson V McQuaid who do you think ???

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
gooner said:
While I'm delighted that McQuaid got the boot, it can't be forgotten either that there was a claim that the Greece federation was offered 25,000 euro in return for supporting Cookson.

That's a serious accusation and one that needs to be addressed quickly.

That's got to be totally unfounded for sure, usually money going to Greece is in the millions of Euros.

Historically Euros only go one way into Greece by way of bail outs never to be seen again. :rolleyes: It would be unlikely for them to do anything in return for it.:)

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
B_Ugli said:
That's got to be totally unfounded for sure.

Historically Euros only go one way into Greece never to be seen again. :rolleyes: It would be unlikely for them to do anything in return for it.:)

It could easily be a smear tactic but Orla Chennaoui with Sky Sports said she seen proof that the offer was made.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
What would be the use of bribing the Greek Federation considering (going by list earlier in thread) they don't have a vote? Would their support be that useful in persuading others to vote for Cookson or something?

robow7 said:
I loved the one comment,

I wonder how many watts those shredders are doing right about now over at the UCI offices, ha

It's a mistake to think Cookson will clean anything up until something is really, actually, done. Remember that the UCI answers to no one and Cookson was a veteran Management Committee member that condemned any effort be made in Women's cycling until he ran for President. There is almost no external motivation for change.

Also remember Makarov, Wiesel and Plant were working for Pat's departure. We know Wiesel is no angel, so now that Thom's delivered, what's Cookson going to do to repay him?

B_Ugli said:
That's got to be totally unfounded for sure, usually money going to Greece is in the millions of Euros.

Historically Euros only go one way into Greece by way of bail outs never to be seen again. :rolleyes: It would be unlikely for them to do anything in return for it.:)
how's that relevant? also, you're wrong. the money goes to the crediror banks' accounts before you can say M1.

happy for mcquaid losing, but if this rumour re: 25k payment is true then cookson's start isnt the best. apart from that, it is to be seen if he's any better. hope so.

meat puppet said:
how's that relevant? also, you're wrong. the money goes to the crediror banks' accounts before you can say M1.

happy for mcquaid losing, but if this rumour re: 25k payment is true then cookson's start isnt the best. apart from that, it is to be seen if he's any better. hope so.

Armstrong's "Hallelujah" is a bit concerning as well.

Dave.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
I dont want to hear the word 'credible' mentioned anymore in cycling. I want to hear stronger words and terms like 'independent', 'more testing', 'longer bans', 'bans for teams', 'bans for team docs', 'bans for DS' etc.....

But i dont expect Cookson to comply.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
What about "incredible"?

Its over for McQuack, when does he get run out of the UCI building with a cardboard box? Hope they have stolen his stapler, no office freebies :D

Now Crookson will hopefully at least paint the building.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I dont want to hear the word 'credible' mentioned anymore in cycling. I want to hear stronger words and terms like 'independent', 'more testing', 'longer bans', 'bans for teams', 'bans for team docs', 'bans for DS' etc.....

But i dont expect Cookson to comply.

How so?

He has repeated on numerous occasions(including his speech after his win today)that he will strive to move the testing to a more independent body. Cookson said he wants longer bans and wants the people who facilitate doping also targetted. The new WADA code won't come into force until 2015 and the IAAF are also trying to enforce 4 year bans. That will probably happen.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
How so?

He has repeated on numerous occasions(including his speech after his win today)that he will strive to move the testing to a more independent body. Cookson said he wants longer bans and wants the people who facilitate doping also targetted. The new WADA code won't come into force until 2015 and the IAAF are also trying to enforce 4 year bans. That will probably happen.

I think Kimmage is far more knowledgable on such matters;

Kimmage on twitter
...So far @cooksonforuci has shown the backbone of a jellyfish, but there's no alternative.

'Strive' and 'wants', well we will see what he 'does', but I have not much hope.

gooner said:
How so?

Thought he said he wanted to sit down with WADA ASAP?

As for Kimmage's comment, perhaps it doesn't take more than a jellyfish to do that, but it tells you the depths of the depravity we have been dealing with.

Dave.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
I think Kimmage is far more knowledgable on such matters;

'Strive' and 'wants', well we will see what he 'does', but I have not much hope.

I don't know where he gets he has no backbone. If that was the case he wouldn't have run in the first place and would have been happy to stay quiet and keep the status quo going.

Not bad for a guy with no backbone. JV:

Most importantly, to me, I respect Brian for going against the grain during the tense times of the USADA case. I was ‘persona non-grata’ at my final CCP meeting, as I was seen as someone who had spit in the soup by many in UCI management. However, Brian made the time to discuss what I felt could be solutions to the issues at hand. He met with me, in the open, when doing so was seen as very politically risky. I remember calling Travis Tygart during my final CCP reunion and saying to Travis that Brian had been very kind to me and listened to some of the ideas of amnesty and “truth and reconciliation”. Travis chuckled and said “Brian is the one and only guy from the UCI management committee that called USADA and asked what he could do to help. That took a lot of courage on his part.”

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
D-Queued said:
Thought he said he wanted to sit down with WADA ASAP?

As for Kimmage's comment, perhaps it doesn't take more than a jellyfish to do that, but it tells you the depths of the depravity we have been dealing with.

Dave.

Yes he did. He said it would be the first thing he would do on the Monday after the election.

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Wow. So they had a public vote on whether to hold a secret vote an amending the candidacy requirement, the secret vote was tied 21-21, McQuaid proclaimed the Swiss nomination was valid because it didn't become invalid until after a deadline, then Cookson says "Screw it, let's just vote." McQuaid loses, and Armstrong tweets "Halleluja." You couldn't write a more bizarre script.

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
gooner said:
Yes he did. He said it would be the first thing he would do on the Monday after the election.

Correct - and suddenly it will dawn on dear Brian that somebody has to pay for all these grand plans he's been spouting forth these past few months... will Makarov pay for them too?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
gooner said:
I don't know where he gets he has no backbone. If that was the case he wouldn't have run in the first place and would have been happy to stay quiet and keep the status quo going.

Not bad for a guy with no backbone. JV:

There was no more status quo. USADA stuck a pin in the status quo hence the need for someone to oust McQuaid to get the status quo back on track.

Armstrong, Weisel, USAC and Marakov giving Cookson a 'Halleluyah' does not bode well.

As for JV, i take whatever he says in the same vein i take the words of politicians, if their lips are moving they are generally lying.

TRENDING THREADS