• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cookson V McQuaid who do you think ???

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 26, 2010
Visit site
Shane Stokes on Twitter
Well done to the Irish guys like Conor McGrane and Anto Moran who took a difficult stand.

Plenty of people have had a hand in giving the Verbruggen/McQuaid dynasty a push over the cliff, but these 2 guys sure used 2 hands. Chapeau.

Captain Sensible said:
I'm shocked that Pat lost , I wonder what he will be ploting now carnt see him being a good loser and going away quietly .

I reckon that the farce that the entire meeting descended into will become up for challenge ala Irish Federation. McQuaid will be the one challenging.

Knowing McQuaid and how ridiculous he is, I reckon he'll use the fact that they DIDN'T vote on whether his nomination was valid and just got straight to the vote...

Cookson statement:
"It's a huge honour to be voted president and I thank you for your trust. The real work starts now. I call on the global community to unite so that the sport lives up to its potential. We must have a new style of government and a collegiate system. My first act as president is to ensure anti-doping is fully independent and to sit down with WADA," Cookson said.

"It is a huge honour to have been elected President of the UCI by my peers and I would like to thank them for the trust they have placed in me today."

"The campaign to get to this point has been intense but I am under no illusion that the real work starts now. So I call on the global cycling community to unite and come together to help ensure that our great sport realises its enormous potential. This is the vision that will drive and focus my activities over the next four years.

“I have said throughout my campaign that we must embrace a new style of governance and a collegiate way of working so that a new era of growth and commercial success for the UCI and our sport can begin."

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Cookson has a lot of work to do and many to win over but its just fantastic Pat is gone. Hopefully wont have to go through that again.

If Cookson is for real i suspect he is about to find a whole graveyard of skeletons in Aigle.

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
AcademyCC said:
If Cookson is for real i suspect he is about to find a whole graveyard of skeletons in Aigle.

The first thing he should do IMO to restore some credibility is to move the UCI headquarters outside of Switzerland to a less "protected" country.

McQuaid was able to shelter in Aigle for a long time and I don't think he would have been afforded the same protection if the UCI was based in any other EU Country.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Benotti69 said:
Let's hope that is the end of the McQuaid family involvement in cycling!

That won't happen. This won't effect Andrew McQuaid representing Roche, Deignan, Stannard, Phinney and many other cyclists in the future.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Don't know if Cookson will be a good president (hopefully he is), will have to wait and see what he does.

But hallelujah! McQuaid is gone! Now please do what you said you would do Pat, walk away and leave cycling forever.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Don't know if Cookson will be a good president (hopefully he is), will have to wait and see what he does.

But hallelujah! McQuaid is gone! Now please do what you said you would do Pat, walk away and leave cycling forever.

You sound like Lance.;):p

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
While I'm delighted that McQuaid got the boot, it can't be forgotten either that there was a claim that the Greece federation was offered 25,000 euro in return for supporting Cookson.

That's a serious accusation and one that needs to be addressed quickly.

TRENDING THREADS