• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

cooler with or without base layer?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I can't comment on every climate because I haven't ridden in a very hot and humid climate like Florida in the summer; but I have ridden in the Mojave Desert in California in the summer, that heat is dry heat.

What I found was wearing a base layer made me uncomfortably hot. What I also found was that a loose-fitting jersey was cooler than a tight-fitting one, the loose-fitting one allowed air to bellow the fabric slightly and kept the air moving which kept me cooler.

I also learned that a white jersey was also cooler.

The other thing I learned, a $19 jersey from Costco, well it was 4 in a pack for $19, called 32 Degrees Air Mesh is cooler than my much more expensive cycling-specific jerseys! Of course, they don't have the rear pocket, but I never use that feature anyways. While they do not feel 32 degrees cooler, they do feel cooler.

TRENDING THREADS