• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Coolest Names in the Peloton*

Page 19 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Just want to give a shout-out to this brilliantly named team!

Project Echelon Racing 2021 (procyclingstats.com)
So although they have no squad members an no race dates listed in 5 years at PCS, I looked at their website, and saw it as "Racing for Veterans",which I interpreted not in a military sense, but as the antithesis of an U-23 development team. Maybe Rebellin's next venture.

And so I looked to see how much older than Valverde most of their riders are, and that doesn't seem to be the case at all. But still with that mindset, I was vaguely amused to see that they have a rider called Matt Zimmer, who could perhaps join up for a veteran-suitable tandem pairing with Alex Frame.

Come to think of it, how has Frame been overlooked in this thread for so long? Are there other riders named after component parts of a bike?

EDIT: Remco Te Brake, of course
2nd Edit: and Axel Merckx

Last edited:
So although they have no squad members an no race dates listed in 5 years at PCS, I looked at their website, and saw it as "Racing for Veterans",which I interpreted not in a military sense, but as the antithesis of an U-23 development team. Maybe Rebellin's next venture.

And so I looked to see how much older than Valverde most of their riders are, and that doesn't seem to be the case at all. But still with that mindset, I was vaguely amused to see that they have a rider called Matt Zimmer, who could perhaps join up for a veteran-suitable tandem pairing with Alex Frame.

Come to think of it, how has Frame been overlooked in this thread for so long? Are there other riders named after component parts of a bike?

EDIT: Remco Te Brake, of course
2nd Edit: and Axel Merckx
Don't forget Samuel Spokes.

Does Steve Chainel count?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
No, it doesn't. The word "loo" isn't really used in colloquial Dutch. But it's quite common as a toponym, where it basically means forest or wood. So his surname could be translated as Woodhouse.
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/-loo?wprov=sfla1

That is... a bit of a relief. I had read that some Dutch surnames basically have their origins in wanting to take the piss of Napoleon, but that would probably be a bit too silly.

No, it doesn't. The word "loo" isn't really used in colloquial Dutch. But it's quite common as a toponym, where it basically means forest or wood. So his surname could be translated as Woodhouse.
https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/-loo?wprov=sfla1
Equivalent to English -ley, -ly, -lea, -leigh as in Beverly ("beaver woodland" or "beaver clearing") and Berkeley ("birch woodland").

I was looking at the results from the Junior Peace Race, and there are a few great names riding it.

My favourite has to be Haimar Etxeberria, though. Obviously Etxebarria would have been even better, but I defintiely hope to see this guy in the pro peloton one day; preferably riding for Euskaltel. Or if he's anything like his namesake, he wouldn't actually be doing his job right if I managed to spot him.

Vladimir Karpets will always be my favourite, just for that time he was getting dropped and David Duffield said "it's curtains for Karpets".
I expect he'd been saving that up for a while.

Duffield himself was widely known as "Duffers", which as well as being a common form of nickname (see also Pidders) was also a comment on his commentary, a duffer being an incompetent or inept person

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS