• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Teams & Riders Coolest Names in the Peloton*

*Past and present (and future) + other people with cycling related jobs.

Now, this has nothing to do with riders' personality or riding style, it's simply a matter of his or her name.
I'll start out with a few favourites of mine:

Winner Anacona.
Come on, his name is Winner! I know it's due to a mistake, but honestly, I just think that makes it even cooler since it means he has an interesting story to tell.

Amanuel Gebrezgabihier Egerzeigzaarhka.
Now, there's a rider I'd like to see in the breakaway of a major race some day. :D

Re: Coolest Names in the Peloton

RedheadDane said:
Now, this has nothing to do with riders' personality or riding style, it's simply a matter of his or her name.
I'll start out with a few favourites of mine:

Winner Anacona.
Come on, his name is Winner! I know it's due to a mistake, but honestly, I just think that makes it even cooler since it means he has an interesting story to tell.

His last name on the other hand....christ. Then again my spanish is rusty.

Anyway, I've always been partial to Jefferson Rueda, Emanuele Sella and Marco Velo. They're all names of bike parts.

Just yesterday, I thought about how funny the name of Bo Hamburger must sound to English speaking people.

Also I'm a little sad that I never got to hear a commentator try to pronounce Gert Jõeäär.

Alaphilippe is a very nice name, I think. Froome as well.

Re:

SafeBet said:
All danish names cause you don't understand where the name ends and where the family name starts. Until Redhead comes to teach you.

I... what?
Actually, I find most Danish names kinda boring, maybe because I'm used to them. Especially the sen-names, suppose there's a reason riders like Cort, Valgren, and Norman are known primarily by their middle names. Mørkøv and Holm too, I suppose, though they may officially have made their middle names their surnames...
Though I think a name like Mads Würtz Schmidt might be kinda hard for foreigners to pronounce. In fact the Flemish commentators for Handzame classic seemed to have some problems.

For me there seem to be certain nationalities whose names I find cool. I have a thing for those really long complicated names which seem to be quite common among both Eritreans and Lithuanians. I also quite like the Belgian ckx ending; that's anger right there.

Been dreaming of Seb Fini making it to the WT and attacking on a col in the TDF with the French commentator going: "C'est Fini! .. c'est Fini!!"

Other than that, I like ..

Leopold König
Darwin Atapuma

and last but not least
Jack Bauer!!

Przemysław Niemiec is kind of funny because "Niemiec" means "a German" in Polish language.

Gallopin also sounds funny in Polish because it sounds almost like "with gallop" in our language.

I'm surprised that Mirsamad Pourseyedigolakhour hasn't been mentioned so far.

After learning a bit of Dutch, some names start to sound funny because many Dutch names could be translated literally to other languages.

Andrey Amador Bikkazakova sounds funny too. Mix of different languages.

too bad Anacona's surname is not "Anaconda". "Winner Anaconda" would be 10/10.

Ángel Vicioso (vicious angel).

GuyIncognito said:
His last name on the other hand....christ. Then again my spanish is rusty.

Anacona sounds like a toponimic of indigenous origin, I don't think it's from Spanish.

edit: according to Wikipedia, it is of Quechua-Aymara origin: https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anexo:Apellidos_ind%C3%ADgenas_de_Colombia

Re:

Anderis said:
s start to sound funny because many Dutch names could be translated literally to other languages.

That's true of essentially any language. Even a few of the big stars like Alberto Accountant or Richie Doors.

One of my favorites
Former top u-23 (and pro flop) Yevgeny Nepomniaschy of Astana. Literally "I don't know"

In the same vein, Kasia Niewiadoma

TRENDING THREADS