• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 395 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I think at this point the majority of us who are still taking precautions are those of us with specific reasons like someone who is immune compromised type of thing. Can i just say I truly hate wearing masks when it's 95 F outside. I was doing some outside work today. I was pulling it down if I wasn't close to anyone. Just way too hot today. Then again it was probably technically too hot to actually be working outside anyway, so there's that as well.
I was reading and quoting and my comments were made without reading the entire post. I apologize for this.

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Whoa, simmer down tough guy. I liked your post on the impact of obesity (check above) and have generally agreed on that count as a major contributing factor to mortality rates.
I was responding to Ultra's "blame the South" comment where he appears to disregard all other regional impacts, like obesity, higher poverty level and a good deal of other historic pressures as I had noted.
If I was not clear, I apologize for the lack of clarity.
You all blame the south. Its actually funny now. They all got on about living. catch up

You all blame the south. Its actually funny now. They all got on about living. catch up

Well look around what is the majority doing getting on with life not the 10% who want everyone to clutch the cloth or paper mask. Sorry you feel so bad about it.
Your simplistic response brings nothing to the dialogue. The discussion was based on Nomad's concern about obesity and fatal outcomes; that's a real thing and based on his/her sincere opinion, we would hope. I agree with part of that. I also lived in the South.
That your best contribution is projecting a fake emotion towards my response is as pointless and craftless as labelling a group the "10%". Did you come up with that label or is it from another forum?

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Your simplistic response brings nothing to the dialogue. The discussion was based on Nomad's concern about obesity and fatal outcomes; that's a real thing and based on his/her sincere opinion, we would hope. I agree with part of that. I also lived in the South.
That your best contribution is projecting a fake emotion towards my response is as pointless and craftless as labelling a group the "10%". Did you come up with that label or is it from another forum?
I don't post in other forums? DO YOU come up with your contributions based on other forums? Not sure what you are referring too. My post is sincere and was based on a previous post by someone here about a recent travel they were on and only 10 -20% were in masks. I believe the remaining mask wearing is all for show. Unless you are in the medical field having to deal with transmission scenarios everyday.

Last edited:
masks appeal going on meanwhile the USA has moved on. Except for radicals. in the folks here own words only 10 to max 20% are wearing masks on transport. No thanks mask radicals. Or should I say the 10% tyrants?
I am perfectly fine with it. They can if they want. But life is going on. Events that were cancelled in my hometown two years in row because of pandemic now re-established. Today is one. I was going nearby one of them today and I was very happy about it.

I don't post in other forums? DO YOU come up with your contributions based on other forums? Not sure what you are referring too. My post is sincere and was based on a previous post by someone here about a recent travel they were on and only 10 -20% were in masks. I believe the remaining mask wearing is all for show. Unless you are in the medical field having to deal with transmission scenarios everyday.
And you had a point right up until you felt it necessary to categorize everyone that wore masks as one group; your label: No thanks mask radicals. Or should I say the 10% tyrants?
Pointless labelling. Have you and friends abandoned "sheeple" as a prejudicial name for the opposition? I would agree that sheeple is juvenile and stupid but your new version is going to fail the trial run for catchiness.

Here's an anecdotal note to qualify mask wearing-someone very close to me chose not to wear a mask on a long vacation flight that had about 20% masked passengers. No issues outbound with most of the vacation term spent outdoors. The day after the trip home came the Omicron symptoms. How would you choose to define that person? Patriotic? Brave? Strong and defiant?
I'd call him careless, lazy and stupid but after 4 days of 14 hours of sleep he probably knows I feel that way.
Please feel free to respond.

Japan just opened up to limited tourism again I think.

HK has open borders if you want to do 7 days quarantine - Japan is limited to only tour groups.

I wouldn't like to be those tourists - yes, they have to be in tour groups, and they're basically chaperoned everywhere and only to certain areas. Supposedly by September individual tourists will be allowed in, but at this point no idea if they will also be chaperoned and need to hang out in groups and only have restricted places they can visit. Current vibe here is not to expect too much on a proper re-opening until next year.
That being said who knows, perhaps things will change a little after some house elections in early July (the gvt here is not wanting to upset the voters who prefer no foreigners coming in). But knowing Japan I wouldn't expect too much beyond what's already announced and rumored.

It's still mask city here in Tokyo, however the government has relaxed outdoor mask wearing rules (if more than 2metres away, etc). Though the majority of the public don't seem to have gotten the message because most people I see out and about (esp when at my local big park) are wearing masks. Quite the opposite of Oz, that's for sure.

Reactions: jmdirt

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I wouldn't like to be those tourists - yes, they have to be in tour groups, and they're basically chaperoned everywhere and only to certain areas. Supposedly by September individual tourists will be allowed in, but at this point no idea if they will also be chaperoned and need to hang out in groups and only have restricted places they can visit. Current vibe here is not to expect too much on a proper re-opening until next year.
That being said who knows, perhaps things will change a little after some house elections in early July (the gvt here is not wanting to upset the voters who prefer no foreigners coming in). But knowing Japan I wouldn't expect too much beyond what's already announced and rumored.

It's still mask city here in Tokyo, however the government has relaxed outdoor mask wearing rules (if more than 2metres away, etc). Though the majority of the public don't seem to have gotten the message because most people I see out and about (esp when at my local big park) are wearing masks. Quite the opposite of Oz, that's for sure.
Maybe I will pass by you in July without my mask on outdoors. I will be there for a training camp etc. However I will not stick around Tokyo very long. Life is so tough for those without visas. By the way yes the current elected folks are happy to keep China and other Gajin out of the country. Seems they are not ready to open back up at all.

Reactions: dusty red roads
We have discussed this several times:

Posted by dj above:

More:

Last edited:
There has been a lot of conversation about this study among immunologists. My personal take is that what it shows in their small sample size groups are not matched by the Epi curves in large populations. There has not really been a wealth of people who are getting second omicron infections. Which would indicate that omicron does offer good protective immunity, albeit less than previous variants. It bears watching, but I don't necessarily buy what this study is selling. And the authors have a bit of a history making claims that don't age well.

TRENDING THREADS