• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 272 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I suppose you mean Mett-Brötchen with these raw pork rolls... which I find disgusting, but my son loves them... :smile:
German food does not exactly cheer me up... but I love mixed drinks!

They will now give up all vaccination priorities from 7th of June onwards, like it already has happened in a few states, although for instance in my state they have stopped the first-time vaccinations until end of May because there aren't enough vaccines.
So the politicians can say "see, everyone can make an appoinment now, we kept our promises", while the doctors say they get overrun by people asking for appointments, even have to deal with people getting aggressive... Also I agree that "doctors know their patients best" and can decide who needs it most... but this way of course people also get vaccinated simply because they know a doctor personally while others will still have to wait for months. And it's very unclear which doctors you should or shouldn't ask, whether you should call or not, there are special actions here and there and people sitting in front of their computers, constantly re-loading pages, to get free appointments... it's just complete chaos.
I think in most other European countries there's a clear priorization by age, which is probably not fair in every case either, but I would prefer it.
Ach soooooo... you call it Mett-Brötchen , I suppose it's comparable to steak tartare, which I used to love as a kid. (Wouldn't want to touch it now, though.) Maybe your son will outgrow his appetite for it once he has a full understanding of what it actually is? :D

Sorry to have inserted myself into your convo with Unchained, btw., I am trying to follow this Covid thread. It just gets to be so overwhelming because each country and/or region is handling things differently, but I am trying and am still curious how things are moving along around the globe. So please guys, keep the info and personal experience posts coming, we'll all get over this pandemic eventually I'm sure.

The writing was on the wall once April came and went without an AstraZeneca application for EUA, but now it is official. All AZ vaccines currently in the USA will be exported for use outside of the USA. That is an estimated 60m doses. An additional 20m of the other three will also be exported next month and will continue based on production and availability. Not a coincidence that this is being done once the demand is starting to wane here.

Reactions: Koronin and jmdirt
I'm 'disappointed' in the media coverage of the latest CDC mask recommendations. Most of the stories start out something like: "we sort through the confusion about the new CDC recommendations on mask wearing...". I see absolutely no confusion since the recommendations start out with "fully vaccinated people", so that is pretty straight forward: are you fully vaccinated? Then the new recommendations apply to you. If you are not fully vaccinated nothing has changed.

New policies and enforcement...good luck with that. Honor system? BAAAAHH. :eek:

Even though I am fully vaccinated nothing has really changed for me because my work still hasn't changed our mask policy. At this point, I am going to continue wearing a mask in indoor public places. The vaccine has likely prepared my immune system to keep me from getting sick, but there is no harm in giving the 95% from the vaccine a little boost towards 100%.

EDIT: SARS-COV-2 Dead End!

Last edited:
I find it interesting that so many of the people who were criticizing the CDC for being slow to remove the mask mandate for outdoor activities are now criticizing the CDC for being too quick to remove mask mandates for the vaccinated. You can make arguments about the merits of those decisions, but being on the opposite sides of two very similar decisions is a red flag to me. It strikes me as pundits who know that arguments against the guidance will get more clicks. YMMV...

My work has not changed any mask guidelines*, so I still wear mine at work and on the train. Since I don't see the sense in taking it off in between, I am one of those people still wearing it outside that are allegedly driving some people crazy on social media.

* Technically, they did change the guidelines to allow a person to be unmasked if they were in their own work space alone. Before, you had to be alone and the door closed. Wooo-hooo.... freedom.

I am more happy that my work has decided to relax domestic travel restrictions for the vaccinated, starting June 1st. The cicadas are starting to emerge, so I am looking forward to leaving the state for my own sanity.

I'm not sure about the mask mandates being lifted for indoor use yet. For now I'm still wearing masks indoors (regardless of whether the store/place is requiring it or not). At this point I would comfortable going to say a ball game/sports event in an outdoor setting without wearing a mask. If we can get my husband's autoimmunce disease under control and get moved, I'd be fine going to a Durham Bulls game this summer. Now indoor events I'm not comfortable with yet. As much as I'm looking forward to the Black Widow movie (yes I'm an MCU fan), I'm not ready to go to a movie theater yet, and don't think I will be in July. By the time the new Dr Strange movie comes out, I might be.

Reactions: jmdirt
I'm not sure about the mask mandates being lifted for indoor use yet. For now I'm still wearing masks indoors (regardless of whether the store/place is requiring it or not). At this point I would comfortable going to say a ball game/sports event in an outdoor setting without wearing a mask. If we can get my husband's autoimmunce disease under control and get moved, I'd be fine going to a Durham Bulls game this summer. Now indoor events I'm not comfortable with yet. As much as I'm looking forward to the Black Widow movie (yes I'm an MCU fan), I'm not ready to go to a movie theater yet, and don't think I will be in July. By the time the new Dr Strange movie comes out, I might be.
Movie theaters have always grossed me out a bit.

Reactions: Oldermanish
In the United States you can see so many,too many elements of media that are medically harmful to our citizens.
The Centers for Disease Control( CDC) like so many other institutions are scrambling to get credibility. Worldwide, none of us knew what Covid-19 was,how deadly,how we could avoid or catch it. So if you graphed pandemic history in the US..when the last one came,masks were part of the plan,shut downs isolation and fear. There really is nobody,nothing specific to blame for misinformation but it's effects are terrible. The very very recent announcement about mask use is another ugly example of misinformation..some say no..but a completely chaotic message mix has the curve of the population from confused to furious. So Covid-19 has some obvious,some subtle results..@15 months of dumbfounded data distributed by..everyone from the king to the bathrobe blogger..I really don't see how we recover from this even after the pandemic passes, people are so jaded, confused,tired and frustrated that if something,anything else comes up, our citizens won't believe it until a dead body is next to them in bed, or in their parking spot..I said before that messages about masturbation,marijuana or alcohol were bound to fail if anyone tested the theories..I mean, where were all the blind people? Covid cautions are no different..in the US..even the early listeners, those who complied,who tried..crying wolf for 15 months is going to cause something that might not get fixed..

Someone should tell that to the cruiselines that are gearing up for a restart, particularly around Athens. It is unclear what the exact requirements will be for travel to the EU from the US, but I have read that proof of vaccination will eliminate quarantine rules. It is unclear if you will still need to take an antigen test on arrival if you are vaccinated.
Maryland is joining the fun with their own vaccine lotto. Anyone who has gotten at least 1 dose will be in the drawing for $40k given daily for the next 40 days and a grand prize of $400k on the Fourth of July.

Even though the national numbers in the US continue to trend downward, we are starting to see a reversal in places like Arkansas and Mississippi. I don't think it will end up being that serious in comparison to the other US outbreaks, but the combination of few restrictions, incautious people, AC weather, and lower vaccination rates will make the sunbelt a prime area for localized covid issues. And there will be plenty of COVID left for the fall to hit those who aren't vaccinated. Virologist Christian Drosten mentioned on a recent podcast that people will ultimately either get the vaccine or the virus.

Virologist Christian Drosten mentioned on a recent podcast that people will ultimately either get the vaccine or the virus.

I'm not questioning Drosten's credentials but not everyone was vaccinated for polio and yet polio was virtually eliminated. Isn't there a tipping point at which the virus will die out? Vaccines have not been why previous pandemics faded and those pandemics didn't result in everyone who wasn't vaccinated getting the virus.

Reactions: Ultrairon
Movie theaters have always grossed me out a bit.
I have typed a response to this..@10 times..in my opinion each funnier,more disturbing than the one before..sticky floors and greasy velvet seats aside..
I do really really regret things I previously touched without thinking about it..elevator buttons,door handles,everything at the post office, and public bathrooms..forget about it..said in a Tony Sapprano accent.
Lots of grocery stores in my area did some remodeling to expand isle space. I don't know if or when some of the plexiglass spit shields should come down....I eat out more than I should..table cleaning, condiments and other things were never in my subconscious..now it's part of my pre meal rituals..I always shot a stink eye at guys fixing their hair in the bathroom without washing their hands..going out wo washing up..
I was petrified about antibiotic resistant bacteria..pre pandemic.
I hope we picked up a few good habits from all this crazy..if my recent air travels are an indicator..don't have lots of hope,collectively

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin
I'm not questioning Drosten's credentials but not everyone was vaccinated for polio and yet polio was virtually eliminated. Isn't there a tipping point at which the virus will die out? Vaccines have not been why previous pandemics faded and those pandemics didn't result in everyone who wasn't vaccinated getting the virus.
Some epidemiologists think zero covid is theoretically possible. It seems many virologists are more pessimistic. I tend to agree with the latter and think that covid will become a seasonal circulating virus like swine flu became the seasonal flu strain.

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/florian_krammer/status/1391021408789073923

Reactions: jmdirt

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Someone should tell that to the cruiselines that are gearing up for a restart, particularly around Athens. It is unclear what the exact requirements will be for travel to the EU from the US, but I have read that proof of vaccination will eliminate quarantine rules. It is unclear if you will still need to take an antigen test on arrival if you are vaccinated.
Maryland is joining the fun with their own vaccine lotto. Anyone who has gotten at least 1 dose will be in the drawing for $40k given daily for the next 40 days and a grand prize of $400k on the Fourth of July.

Even though the national numbers in the US continue to trend downward, we are starting to see a reversal in places like Arkansas and Mississippi. I don't think it will end up being that serious in comparison to the other US outbreaks, but the combination of few restrictions, incautious people, AC weather, and lower vaccination rates will make the sunbelt a prime area for localized covid issues. And there will be plenty of COVID left for the fall to hit those who aren't vaccinated. Virologist Christian Drosten mentioned on a recent podcast that people will ultimately either get the vaccine or the virus.
https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/script...zUwM2M3OSJ9&windowHeight=780&widthPercent=160

Where is the reversal to the trend downward? Same with Arkansas the change is minor 100 to 200 case range per day and there is no clear reversal in the trend downward as you state in your post.

Are you sure about that? I think that you either get it and die, get it and live, or get the vaccine (sentence edited).

Based on what I have read, SARS-COV-2 will be with us for a long time just like other viruses. Its less about it dying out, and more about keeping us from dying. *Vaccines protect those with compromised immunity directly by preparing their body to fight the virus, but also indirectly by making people with heathier immune systems a dead end for the virus. There is some interesting research about season influenza and vaccines. If my memory is correct (not likely) they estimated that severe flu in the USA could be cut in half if more people (can't remember the number or %) got vaccinated. I think the average over the last 10 years is around 30,000 deaths per year (USA) so we could drop that to around 15,000 through more vaccination (?).

Its nearly impossible to compare previous pandemic, epidemics, outbreaks, etc. because of their place in time and all of the factors that go along with that.

*Obviously a vaccine doesn't give us a magic forcefield that the virus bounces off of, it just makes our body more ready and able to fight. Maybe instead of three days sweating in bed we just feel a bit tired for a day or two, or maybe/hopefully nothing at all.

DISCLAIMER: Way to much brief summarization in this post!

EDIT: I know that island nations like Samoa, Tonga, etc. have kept SC2 out, and New Zealand and Australia have done well for bigger islands, I wonder what will happen though as those places open their countries. My guess is that they will fall into the three options that I typed above (get it and die, get it and live, get vaccinated). A lot of factors will dictate what happens I guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: djpbaltimore

TRENDING THREADS