• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 284 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Finally, I stress that Australia is the only western democracy that has banned citizens from leaving the country since March 2020 ( except for travel exemptions ) while more importantly their policy regarding travel caps on returning residents/citizens have precluded people from entering their country - No other country in the world is actively promoting the stopping of citizens from entering their country - Sadly this has support from the majority of the population - So how could you not think Australian's are cold, heartless people

No, Australian's are more tolerant, that is exactly why we are seen as a friendly and laid back people. Even Australian expats get it wrong. If you lived a significant portion of your life in Australia I don't see how you could possibly think Australians are cold and heartless. One example (I could write a book) was the Australian government's response to the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami. The government donated $AUD 1 billion to help Indonesia reconstruct after that unspeakable tragedy. The action was was widely supported by the people. So we are cold and heartless? That's an absurd accusation.

As for banning citizens leaving the country, every country has responded to Covid-19 as they see fit. Every case in Australia arrived here on a flight or vessel from overseas. Lockdowns kill economic activity - even in China and Hong Kong. So avoiding lockdowns is highly desirable - however that is achieved.

The current ongoing lockdown in Sydney, the Sydney Northern Beaches lockdown over Christmas, The Melbourne lockdowns and the original lockdown in March/April 2020 all stemmed from overseas arrivals. As did the lockdowns in Queensland and Western Australia.

910 people have died to date from the virus in Australia and whilst that may be tiny compared to Europe people, particularly elderly people, are in fear and expect the government to protect them. This is a completely normal human response and is no different in China, America and Europe. Australia is a democracy where we vote for Federal, State and local government. Securing borders minimizes risks. Australia's relatively remote location means it can control the risk better than for example, Italy, Spain or Belgium with land based borders. But now we need to get the vaccine widely administered so all these people can return asap and there are no more excuses for over zealous politicians to cancel major international sporting events,

Reactions: Koronin
I know for a fact that NOW the health authorities are demanding a fourteen day quarantine which will not wash with an international sporting calendar, especially seeing these athletes will be vaccinated - Many parts of the world have conducted international sporting events in bubbles for nearly 12 months without any issues or danger to the community - We can only hope.
The 14 day compulsory quarantine for international arrivals is very common knowledge has been in place since shortly after Covid-19 arrived in Australia. It’s big reason why Australia escaped relatively unscathed. But maybe you can tell us what the quarantine rules are for China? I believe it’s longer than 14 days and very strictly policed.

I agree with you that major international events have successfully been conducted around the world in bubbles. The Tour de France is the best example. I agree that Australian health Authorities should relax quarantine for these events and hurry up with the vaccines.

Reactions: jmdirt
The 14 day compulsory quarantine for international arrivals is very common knowledge has been in place since shortly after Covid-19 arrived in Australia. It’s big reason why Australia escaped relatively unscathed. But maybe you can tell us what the quarantine rules are for China? I believe it’s longer than 14 days and very strictly policed.

I agree with you that major international events have successfully been conducted around the world in bubbles. The Tour de France is the best example. I agree that Australian health Authorities should relax quarantine for these events and hurry up with the vaccines.

China banned international sporting events from Mid 2020 - My understanding is there will be some international events happening from September 2021 ( i believe tennis and golf ) which will be conducted in bubbles - Of course they have to open up, seeing they have the Winter Olympics in February 2022.

The quarantine rules for Hong Kong are stricter than Australia - They have been operating on a 21 day model but there are some significant differences

• HK has never banned citizens from leaving the country
  • There are no caps on returning citizens.
  • Returning citizens book their own places from a list of approved quarantine hotels
  • Currently there are 13,000 in hotel quarantine
  • Quarantine is being reduced to 7 days for vaccinated travellers
  • Quarantine centres are used to house close contacts of community transmission cases, instead of isolating at home.

The vaccination program is slowly chugging away with over 50% having a first dose - My guess is they will open their borders later in the year.

No, Australian's are more tolerant, that is exactly why we are seen as a friendly and laid back people. Even Australian expats get it wrong. If you lived a significant portion of your life in Australia I don't see how you could possibly think Australians are cold and heartless. One example (I could write a book) was the Australian government's response to the 2004 Boxing Day tsunami. The government donated $AUD 1 billion to help Indonesia reconstruct after that unspeakable tragedy. The action was was widely supported by the people. So we are cold and heartless? That's an absurd accusation.
Denmark is one of the countries in the world (and afaik some years we're #1) that spend the most on development aid, yet it's absolutely true that we have a somewhat closed culture (or rather a more intimate way of life and are not very expressive and out-going), in the sense that most are quite reserved towards strangers in public, and that it is notoriously difficult for adult foreigners to make friends here.

Last edited:
I'm assuming that most on here have read the news out of Israel that Pfizer is ~64% effective against the Delta variant. It is still above 90% effective against serious illness, but the drop in effectiveness for Delta might be why we are seeing more vaccinated people either have mild cases or test positive after being in contact with someone else who has a mild case (especially family member in the same house).

Reactions: Koronin and yaco
The Treasure Valley ("Greater Boise Area") has two major health systems and they've bought up most of their smaller competitors. Anyway, one of them St. Al's (part of national system Trinity), is requiring employees to be fully vaccinated by Nov. 21st (employees, contractors, vendors...anyone doing business with them). The St. Al's facilities in Oregon are exempt because of state law, but employees "are being strongly encouraged" to get vaccinated.

EDIT: St. Luke's the bigger of the two big ones here just announced that they too will require employees, contractors, vendors, etc. to have their first shot by Sept. 1.

IMO, that makes sense because who wants to go in for health care and get SARS-CoV-2 while they are there?!

Last edited:
Reactions: Koronin
After a long period of declining cases, Belgium is now seeing a rather pronounced increase. In Flanders, we've exceeded 70% of the population with at least one shot (87% of the adult population), but like elsewhere in Europe, most of the infections are occurring in teenagers and 20-somethings who have not or only very recently received their first shot and thus have limited protection. Apparently, they're also getting infected en masse in Spanish clubs.

It seems that impatience in opening up is costing us.

By the way, in The Netherlands, which have shed almost all restrictions, cases have gone x10 in 10 days (!)

I've said all along that the lab leak hypothesis would eventually be the publicly accepted version of the pandemic origin. And lo and behold...

U.S. adults were almost twice as likely to say the virus was the result of a lab leak in China than human contact with an infected animal, which many scientists believe is the most likely scenario.

From a Politico-Harvard survey.

After a long period of declining cases, Belgium is now seeing a rather pronounced increase. In Flanders, we've exceeded 70% of the population with at least one shot (87% of the adult population), but like elsewhere in Europe, most of the infections are occurring in teenagers and 20-somethings who have not or only very recently received their first shot and thus have limited protection. Apparently, they're also getting infected en masse in Spanish clubs.

It seems that impatience in opening up is costing us.

By the way, in The Netherlands, which have shed almost all restrictions, cases have gone x10 in 10 days (!)
What is happening with vaccination in Belgium and The Netherlands?

What is happening with vaccination in Belgium and The Netherlands?

Both at high levels, but the problem is that the younger generations are vaccinated last, so most of them have received no or only one shot, and it's those people that are most likely to go clubbing in Spain etc. Clubs in The Netherlands now have to close again. In Belgium, they were never reopened (rightfully).

Delta means: one shot isn't enough - that much is clear.
By the end of July, about 75-80% of adults in Flanders should have had both shots. I get my second BioNTech/Pfizer on July 23rd.

This I think crosses to the movie thread..Americans pay much different taxes than the rest of the West..health care insurance, coverage,delivery done differently.
but also the money contributed to culture and the acts done different.
The pandemic is far from over for sure but undoubtedly art has made everything better..the consumption of art.. Movies,music,poetry,books and everything else is up..gotta wonder where the world would be wo art during the pandemic..Americans can only hope that we all see a way to keep things afloat that may die because of a lack of access,patronage during the crisis..theater and dance that has been impossible to see live is returning. Most things I have read about live music..huge demand..
I hope we never forget the comfort from new and old stuff, movies,TV shows,albums,books,painting,drawings,ect..

This I think crosses to the movie thread..Americans pay much different taxes than the rest of the West..health care insurance, coverage,delivery done differently.
but also the money contributed to culture and the acts done different.
The pandemic is far from over for sure but undoubtedly art has made everything better..the consumption of art.. Movies,music,poetry,books and everything else is up..gotta wonder where the world would be wo art during the pandemic..Americans can only hope that we all see a way to keep things afloat that may die because of a lack of access,patronage during the crisis..theater and dance that has been impossible to see live is returning. Most things I have read about live music..huge demand..
I hope we never forget the comfort from new and old stuff, movies,TV shows,albums,books,painting,drawings,ect..

To build on what you just said as it does cross threads, the newest MCU movie Black Widow hit pre-pandemic earning levels for it's opening. Those going basically saying that needed to go back to the theater. Possibly the pandemic and now the reopening of movie theaters is showing that they aren't dying because when it is taken away people do want to go to it.

Reactions: jmdirt
Typical Mexico work week is 6 days per week. Saturday slightly shorter hours. There many many areas of trouble in Mexico,and lots on the Baja peninsula..w patients set up for treatment on the floor in La Paz..
in my area..Saturday night is always important..same w Friday..but Saturday and Sunday nights are the party outlet..now school graduation..the last 2 weekends there has been off the hook parties..party noise..
From what I see and hear..people wanting to celibate maybe are a little ahead of themselves..

TRENDING THREADS