• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Coronavirus: How dangerous a threat?

Page 319 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
As I work as a vendor in retail/grocery/drug stores I'm in the category that can get the booster now and Moderna (which is what I had) has now been approved for boosters. I'm actually 7 months out from having gotten my 2nd dose. I just need to go talk to something in the pharmacy at the drug store I typically go to to see how I need to schedule my booster shot. I also have to do it on a day (likely a Friday) when I don't have to work the next day OR drive 2 and a half hours that day or the next to go with my husband to one of his Chemo appointments. This is going to fun trying to get that scheduled to fit into my schedule. Also need to find out if I have to schedule it on line or what. The place I got my original shots was doing one day clinics at the time as they were one of the few places where I live that was getting the vaccine, so I can't get the booster there.
My company got us on the early eligibility list in Jan, but told us that they won't be negotiating for the 3rd shot. Idaho eligibility is 65+, immune compromised, high risk employment. My job is high risk because there are a lot of people in our building (400+), and many of them travel all over the world (much less now than before) so I'll ask my doc. Rumor has it that Albertsons Pharmacy doesn't even question people who walk in and request a booster. Maybe my doc will recommend using them?

My company got us on the early eligibility list in Jan, but told us that they won't be negotiating for the 3rd shot. Idaho eligibility is 65+, immune compromised, high risk employment. My job is high risk because there are a lot of people in our building (400+), and many of them travel all over the world (much less now than before) so I'll ask my doc. Rumor has it that Albertsons Pharmacy doesn't even question people who walk in and request a booster. Maybe my doc will recommend using them?

Wow. The DCD/FDA have listed those with high risk jobs eligible for the booster. Here they're just going with whoever is eligible. Now I'd be surprised if UNC wouldn't give it to me there since my husband is being treated there for cancer. However that would be an issue of getting it Friday morning, having to sit around the hospital all day for his chemo treatment, drive back to the apartment there, and then drive back to the coast the following day. Not a great idea for the day of and day after the booster, when I had major chills for several hours the night after my second dose of Moderna. I'm sure CVS is let me get it due to knowing what my job is anyway, which I may not actually be able to do until Dec. I know everyone who works there. Come to think of it, I know most of the employees at both CVS's and 2 of the 3 WalGreens in town. Yes, that's what being a vendor ends up with. You know a good portion of employees at multiple stores.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to check that close about the eligibility for those who come in for a booster. My work sent an email that self disclosure was sufficient. No questions asked. Education is high risk, so that is my category. I will try to get it this week to gets some fresh antibodies for the holidays.

I am not too worried about the aftereffects for 2 reasons. It is a half dose. And 6+ months is a lot longer than 3 (or 4) weeks. Many more of your spike specific lymphocytes have died in the interim, so there should be less immune reactivity.

I seriously doubt anyone is going to check that close about the eligibility for those who come in for a booster. My work sent an email that self disclosure was sufficient. No questions asked. Education is high risk, so that is my category. I will try to get it this week to gets some fresh antibodies for the holidays.

I am not too worried about the aftereffects for 2 reasons. It is a half dose. And 6+ months is a lot longer than 3 (or 4) weeks. Many more of your spike specific lymphocytes have died in the interim, so there should be less immune reactivity.
I agree, especially in Idaho since only about 45% (70% for my county) of the eligible population are vaccinated anyway. Plus the CDC list seems pretty open on what high risk work settings are using "examples" before the list. My company has several thousand employees, about 400 at my site, many travelers, plus we have our tentacles in many of the example fields (education, food/ag, manufacturing, corrections, other...).

I live in Connecticut, which has one of the highest vaccination rates, and lowest per-capita infection/death rates. We're also what one may consider a working blue/progressive state with a very high education rate (Yale, Quinnipiac, Wesleyan are all here, as well as UConn and others, obviously). We have been aggressive with both mask mandates, as well as the initial rollout of vaccines, and now boosters, and people follow suit in a responsible manner. Our state, and most of the residents, are taking this very seriously, as has our governor and many elected officials. I'm guessing the reasons I qualified for the booster fall somewhere in here, even though I don't work in healthcare and aren't dealing with underlying conditions. I'm older, work with the public, and sometimes help disabled people, even though it's not my job. Somehow, some way, something in there triggered something, and they were actually the ones who reached out to me about signing up for the booster. I did, and within a short period of time I was approved and chose a date. The location where the third shot was administered was very organized and the process went very smoothly and efficiently. Actually, it did with the first two shots as well.

I find it interesting that you are so quick to label people scared of C19 for wearing masks but not a word about people like Rodgers being scared to take a vaccine, instead laundering the decision as personal choice.
He's not scared to take the vaccine - he gives the reasons why he doesn't want to take it in this lengthy interview. After listening to his interview, I agree a lot with his position. Like he says Covid had become so politicized it's dividing this nation apart. And that's exactly my stance. It's ridiculous how politicized this has become with Liberal leadership using the pandemic as a tool for power/control & medical tyranny!

View: https://youtu.be/K3jM13A7OEw

Reactions: Ultrairon
It's about time! I knew these BS mandates are a government overreach & fundamentally unconstitutional.

"U.S. federal appeals court freezes Biden's vaccine rules for companies."

He's not scared to take the vaccine - he gives the reasons why he doesn't want to take it in this lengthy interview. After listening to his interview, I agree a lot with his position. Like he says Covid had become so politicized it's dividing this nation apart. And that's exactly my stance. It's ridiculous how politicized this has become with Liberal leadership using the pandemic as a tool for power/control & medical tyranny!

View: https://youtu.be/K3jM13A7OEw
If he doesn't get a vaccine because of the low prevalence clotting reactions as he clearly states, then he is scared to be vaccinated. Dress it up however you like, but that is the reason he gave.

We have talked in this thread about what makes an antivaxxer and Rodgers provides a perfect example. Not getting the vaccine does not make him one. But casting doubt on the efficacy sure does. IME, an antivaxxer will always circle back and tell you that the vaccine doesn't work.

But the funniest part of that video is when he claims that he only unmasks while around vaccinated people. Gee, Aaron, why do suppose that is? The reason I think this will stick around is that this is so ripe for memes. Just endless possibilities.

Reactions: jmdirt and Koronin

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
If he doesn't get a vaccine because of the low prevalence clotting reactions as he clearly states, then he is scared to be vaccinated. Dress it up however you like, but that is the reason he gave.

We have talked in this thread about what makes an antivaxxer and Rodgers provides a perfect example. Not getting the vaccine does not make him one. But casting doubt on the efficacy sure does. IME, an antivaxxer will always circle back and tell you that the vaccine doesn't work.

But the funniest part of that video is when he claims that he only unmasks while around vaccinated people. Gee, Aaron, why do suppose that is? The reason I think this will stick around is that this is so ripe for memes. Just endless possibilities.
As I have said here before, I am vaxed. I also got the booster. I believe in the vax ( trump was able to get fast tracked through operation warp speed). If I did not believe in it I would not have taken it. I take all other types of shots in the past and present. Shingles , flu for example. For what its worth the Singrex gave me more side effects than any vax I have ever taken including Covid.
Saying all that, I took the vax to be protected and because I have asthma, wearing the mask caused some issues with breathing and I was convinced that any cloth mask was just holding in germs and is worthless except for spit. In my opinion masks are mainly for show. Everyone is afraid to say that the disposable non medical and cloth masks are a joke so they let the public walk around pretending.

Aaron Rodgers says some weird stuff and I have never been a fan of his in football. I feel like he has fear of the vax as you say. Just like I believe anyone and I mean anyone who wears a mask around outside and not in a crowded situation and is already vaxed are scared sheep same as an anti vaxer. The difference hear is that I do not get worked up about anyones personal rights to refuse a vax or any medication. Individual liberty etc. I am 100% against any mandate. I feel like there might be more people that hold similar beliefs.

Reactions: FrankB
I think these articles are extremely clear, explaining why I say Rodgers not only lied, but he's an irrational idiot when it comes to this.

Here's a cut and paste from an op-ed at USA Today from senior staff writer Christine Brennan, that requires a subscription:

Opinion: Aaron Rodgers completely destroyed his public image with crackpot COVID-19 theories

Aaron Rodgers has spent the past 16 years building an intriguing reputation for himself, a public persona that could transcend sports and last a lifetime.

He decimated it in three days.

A lying, self-absorbed, conspiracy-theorist anti-vaxxer who put others at serious risk without their knowledge by appearing maskless for months is going to cross over from football and, say, host Jeopardy in a couple of years?

That seemed possible last week. It’s inconceivable now.

The very people who were going to embrace this smart and interesting 37-year-old into his 40s and beyond – well-educated, well-read, civic-minded, double or triple-vaccinated Americans – have to be disgusted by what they’ve heard about him and from him from Wednesday to Friday.

NFL fans are one thing; many of them will jump right back on the Rodgers bandwagon when he comes back from his COVID-19 break and presumably keeps winning.

But for the intelligent crowd he appeared to be angling for in his post-football years, the past three days have been a massive and unwelcome surprise. The Aaron Rodgers they thought they knew, the Aaron Rodgers they liked so much, is gone. He has been replaced by a Joe Rogan-loving crackpot.

Rodgers is – er, was – one of those rare athletes who was going to slide so easily into NFL retirement. The possibilities were endless. He would be a State Farm pitchman for life. He could join the Mannings on air. He could team up with Tom Brady just about anywhere, doing anything.

That’s all in doubt now that we know just how devious and cowardly this man is. Not only did he not get the COVID-19 vaccine while implying that he did, he didn’t have the courage to tell people he was unvaccinated. He probably was afraid of the reaction, worried how it would affect the future that he had so carefully crafted for himself.

So instead of owning up to his behavior Friday, he lashed out like a petulant child on the Pat McAfee Show:

“There’s a PC woke culture that exists, and there’s a cancel culture at the same time,” Rodgers said. “And it’s based on people’s own feelings of maybe personal miserability or distaste for their own situations or life, or maybe just enjoyment of holding other people down underneath their thumb.”

Or maybe, concern about a man who refuses to get vaccinated and then lies about it in the midst of a pandemic that has killed more than 750,000 Americans.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I think these articles are extremely clear, explaining why I say Rodgers not only lied, but he's an irrational idiot when it comes to this.

Here's a cut and paste from an op-ed at USA Today from senior staff writer Christine Brennan, that requires a subscription:

Opinion: Aaron Rodgers completely destroyed his public image with crackpot COVID-19 theories

Aaron Rodgers has spent the past 16 years building an intriguing reputation for himself, a public persona that could transcend sports and last a lifetime.

He decimated it in three days.

A lying, self-absorbed, conspiracy-theorist anti-vaxxer who put others at serious risk without their knowledge by appearing maskless for months is going to cross over from football and, say, host Jeopardy in a couple of years?

That seemed possible last week. It’s inconceivable now.

The very people who were going to embrace this smart and interesting 37-year-old into his 40s and beyond – well-educated, well-read, civic-minded, double or triple-vaccinated Americans – have to be disgusted by what they’ve heard about him and from him from Wednesday to Friday.

NFL fans are one thing; many of them will jump right back on the Rodgers bandwagon when he comes back from his COVID-19 break and presumably keeps winning.

But for the intelligent crowd he appeared to be angling for in his post-football years, the past three days have been a massive and unwelcome surprise. The Aaron Rodgers they thought they knew, the Aaron Rodgers they liked so much, is gone. He has been replaced by a Joe Rogan-loving crackpot.

Rodgers is – er, was – one of those rare athletes who was going to slide so easily into NFL retirement. The possibilities were endless. He would be a State Farm pitchman for life. He could join the Mannings on air. He could team up with Tom Brady just about anywhere, doing anything.

That’s all in doubt now that we know just how devious and cowardly this man is. Not only did he not get the COVID-19 vaccine while implying that he did, he didn’t have the courage to tell people he was unvaccinated. He probably was afraid of the reaction, worried how it would affect the future that he had so carefully crafted for himself.

So instead of owning up to his behavior Friday, he lashed out like a petulant child on the Pat McAfee Show:

“There’s a PC woke culture that exists, and there’s a cancel culture at the same time,” Rodgers said. “And it’s based on people’s own feelings of maybe personal miserability or distaste for their own situations or life, or maybe just enjoyment of holding other people down underneath their thumb.”

Or maybe, concern about a man who refuses to get vaccinated and then lies about it in the midst of a pandemic that has killed more than 750,000 Americans.
Alpe look at the wording used in this op-ed. Its an Op-ed and its filled with the personal opinions of the writer. In my opinion it goes to far.
It falls into the mob that shames anyone for not gettng the vax. Terrible behavior by Aaron yes and now terrible behavior by the mob.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
Ok. Sure. What about the other two links? Thoughts?
I said in a post before you linked the articles that I believe Aaron Rodgers says some weird stuff. He has the liberty to say them and I don't have to believe the words of a pro football player. He is no doubt wrong about the vax and he mislead people on his status. But if you look at what was said it was vague on purpose and that type of behavior happens with everyone on this topic.
We can disagree, I have no problem disagreeing. I am sorry if you can't accept my opinion.
If you go back and read some of the behavior in this thread you might begin to see my points. Some appear to take pleasure out of posting up when the people who deny the vax have passed away. Some bring politics into it if given just a hint of a chance. All to smear people with difference in opinions on vax, masks and lockdowns. Poor behavior all around.

I said this in a post prior to your links.
Aaron Rodgers says some weird stuff and I have never been a fan of his in football. I feel like he has fear of the vax as you say. Just like I believe anyone and I mean anyone who wears a mask around outside and not in a crowded situation and is already vaxed are scared sheep same as an anti vaxer. The difference hear is that I do not get worked up about anyones personal rights to refuse a vax or any medication. Individual liberty etc. I am 100% against any mandate. I feel like there might be more people that hold similar beliefs.

Reactions: Nomad
So, all the people who work at the hospital who wear masks are scared? If they were so scared, wouldn't they...not work at a hospital filled with C19. Around 50% of the people walking in the area of my campus hospital are wearing masks. Most of the time that includes me. I have to wear one at work and the train, so what purpose is there to take it off in between. In the morning I often put it on so I don't forget it as I leave. It really is no big deal.

So, all the people who work at the hospital who wear masks are scared? If they were so scared, wouldn't they...not work at a hospital filled with C19. Around 50% of the people walking in the area of my campus hospital are wearing masks. Most of the time that includes me. I have to wear one at work and the train, so what purpose is there to take it off in between. In the morning I often put it on so I don't forget it as I leave. It really is no big deal.
So how are things in going where you live, wrt C19? Asking out of genuine curiosity. I work in healthcare in Canada, so curious what people's experiences are elsewhere.

The serious credibility gap existing in almost every pro athlete that publicly avoids "the Vax": they take injections constantly to play and improve performance. They also have as much knowledge about what they have injected as they choose to have. Behaving like you're suddenly a student of bio-chem, a human rights' advocate or a patriot presents a case for hypocrisy.
If you truly believe in your rights you should have consideration for the same rights of others. That includes being truthful and responsible about your behavior.

IMO some mandates flat will not work. Having OSHA police anything is an opportunity for overreach and mismanagement. I come to that conclusion from years of construction trade and management work. Our local construction businesses were the first to respond to work place protocols to prevent widespread infection; because it made good business sense. They had no problem telling workers to stay home if they weren't well or needed quarantine because one random d*ckhead could infect employees of many companies. That sort of behavior would cost a company every contract they have and place employees on unemployment quickly. OSHA didn't respond quickly enough and then penalized smaller businesses for sloppy accountability although their records were clean.

Ultrairon

BANNED
Mar 20, 2021
Visit site
I never said any comments on people working in hospitals. My comments are directed towards people walking around outside with a mask on. It is just for show. Not to mention the amount of litter from these things is out of control.
Glad to know its no big deal for you. Not sure why my comments draw such a reaction if its no big deal. We just disagree.

So how are things in going where you live, wrt C19? Asking out of genuine curiosity. I work in healthcare in Canada, so curious what people's experiences are elsewhere.
The state of Maryland has fared well so far. We had a small delta wave that was much less than the previous waves before the vaccine. The state economy is built around the healthcare sector so vaccine uptake has been high for a southern state. There really has been no time where the medical facilities were overwhelmed. Case numbers, hospitilizations, and deaths are currently on a plateau.
I never said any comments on people working in hospitals. My comments are directed towards people walking around outside with a mask on. It is just for show. Not to mention the amount of litter from these things is out of control.
Glad to know its no big deal for you. Not sure why my comments draw such a reaction if its no big deal. We just disagree.
The point is that you don't know why people are wearing a mask outside. That you assume it is out of fear is more due to your ideology than anything else.

There has been some debate whether this is a pandemic of the unvaccinated. The charts in this article suggests that this is the case.
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/HelenBranswell/status/1457710588587646989

The San Diego VA has an automated booster shot text scheduling service. They sent the text,variety of options. 1st opt out.
2nd get a call back
3rd type,yes. and get available dates and a confirmation text when you choose an available date.
Straight forward and easy
They asked me if I wanted tetanus, flu shot and Covid vaccine at my appointment last Wednesday,all available day of..
Didn't offer liposuction,hair transplant,elevator shoes or VO2 max increase,all I would have accepted,or dance lessons which are a medical emergency