• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cost of Childcare

Jun 16, 2009
www.oxygencycles.com
n677564576_753185_4636.jpg

Our lads outgrown his current box. Any suggestions of a cheap alternative? We've tried bike boxes but they're too thin and dark.

;)(Thread started in response to The Truths comment on the photography thread)

A

Anonymous

A box.. your child has a box :eek:

He's lucky to have a box, we had to live in rolled up newspaper in a septic tank..

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
A box.. your child has a box :eek:

He's lucky to have a box, we had to live in rolled up newspaper in a septic tank..

We used to walk fifteen miles in the snow, bare foot just to get a look a dirty newspaper and we thought that we were lucky for the opportunity

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
badboyberty said:
Our lads outgrown his current box. Any suggestions of a cheap alternative? We've tried bike boxes but they're too thin and dark.
I just hope that you made him unpack it before you gave it to him - he looks about the right age to learn the value of a good day's work. Too many parents spoil their kids rotten these days - most of the kids around my neighbourhood have grown up thinking that boxes grow on trees!

Our society started going to pack when they brought in those stupid laws banning kids from working in coal mines and cotton mills. Damn Victorians ... too soft I say!!!

:D

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
i would have died for that

we used to get up 3 hours before we went to bed. slash both our tyres and ride 200 miles to the race only if there was a headwind while towing the team car.
in my day we would then do a week long stage race in an afternoon, massage ourselves with bullets and flemish cobbles and if we didnt win cut an eye out.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
the truth. said:

we used to get up 3 hours before we went to bed. slash both our tyres and ride 200 miles to the race only if there was a headwind while towing the team car.
in my day we would then do a week long stage race in an afternoon, massage ourselves with bullets and flemish cobbles and if we didnt win cut an eye out.

...and when we got home, our parents would thrash us to death with the bicycle chain...

A

Anonymous

the truth. said:

youd cut an eye out if you didnt win..

we used to have to cut an eye out before we set off, win the race before wed even started, ride backwards pulling the rest of the field, and arrive at the start 7 hours before wed finished the race. We didnt even have a bike.. our dad used to tie wheels to our feet, and make us eat a raw handlebar for breakfast..

if we where lucky..

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
dimspace said:
youd cut an eye out if you didnt win..

we used to have to cut an eye out before we set off, win the race before wed even started, ride backwards pulling the rest of the field, and arrive at the start 7 hours before wed finished the race. We didnt even have a bike.. our dad used to tie wheels to our feet, and make us eat a raw handlebar for breakfast..

if we where lucky..

Raw handlebars for breakfast? You were lucky! We used to dream of raw handlebars! No. Our da would twist my brother and me into wheels and frame and then our other brother would have to climb Mt. Krakatoa. He was only allowed to come back down once he dropped Jens Voigt, abandoning us at the peak, where we'd eat each other and burn each others' bones for warmth.

And you tell the doped cyclists of today that and they won't believe you!

A

Anonymous

i use to cry myself to slep if I didn't have new flannel jamies warm out of the dryer every night. But I sucked it up, bit the silver spoon, dug into my sachel of strength, opened the valise of valor, clung to my pocketbook of pluck and grew into the hard man I am today.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
We used to walk fifteen miles in the snow, bare foot just to get a look a dirty newspaper and we thought that we were lucky for the opportunity

Bare foot? You had feet? We were so poor we had to do the fifteen miles on our stumps!

A

Anonymous

knewcleardaze said:
Bare foot? You had feet? We were so poor we had to do the fifteen miles on our stumps!

stumps you where lucky, our father used to cut off our feet, and then we would wear someones elses feet so we could appreciate what it was like to be in someone elses shoes.. :confused:

May 6, 2009
Visit site
If I didn't get into a break whilst riding a bike that was from the same year that René Pottier won his TdF (1906), and stay away and win, I would get (quite literally) raked over with hot coals.

If I was lucky.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
craig1985 said:
If I didn't get into a break whilst riding a bike that was from the same year that René Pottier won his TdF (1906), and stay away and win, I would get (quite literally) raked over with hot coals.

If I was lucky.

You had hot coal? We used to burn our feet for heat!

May 6, 2009
Visit site
Back in my day that if I broke a wheel or a spoke, I had to go mine the metal myself with my bare hands and then walk home and make a new wheel or spoke out of that metal again with my own hands.

That's if I was lucky.

A

Anonymous

craig1985 said:
Back in my day that if I broke a wheel or a spoke, I had to go mine the metal myself with my bare hands and then walk home and make a new wheel or spoke out of that metal again with my own hands.

That's if I was lucky.

metal.. you where lucky... we used to have to surgically remove one of our own ribs, and then make spokes from them on a manual lathe that we powered by attatching the crank to our tongue..

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
Susan Westemeyer said:
You forgot to add that the fifteen miles were uphill in both directions.

Susan

Uphill? All our training was up vertical cobbled walls. Not real walls, of course, but big, serrated spikes covered in hot lava. It was a wall to us.

A

Anonymous

Steampunk said:
Uphill? All our training was up vertical cobbled walls. Not real walls, of course, but big, serrated spikes covered in hot lava. It was a wall to us.

vertical, you where lucky... we used to cut our legs off and make bicylces from them, use our ribs for spokes, and younger brothers and sisters for wheels, and then cycle across a ceiling crawling with live snakes and deadly spiders, in our underwear, whilst being chased by jens voigt weilding a chainsaw.. and you tell the kids of today that and they wouldnt beleive you.. :confused:

TRENDING THREADS