• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Could Peter Sagan win the Green Jersey at the Tour de France?

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I was thinking that maybe the new kid on the block could actually win it. He has the kick to win sprint stages, plus he has the ability to climb over the mountains where riders like Hushovd and Cavendish can't.

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
sacker said:
I was thinking that maybe the new kid on the block could actually win it. He has the kick to win sprint stages, plus he has the ability to climb over the mountains where riders like Hushovd and Cavendish can't.

Hushovd won the Green Jersey last year precisely because he COULD climb over the mountains.

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
Kender said:
he wonlt be able to get close to cav on the flat stages

True, but like Hushovd last year he was consistent with his sprinting, always top 3 or 4 on every stage, but climbed over on the mountain stages to get intermediate sprints.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Steampunk said:
Hushovd won the Green Jersey last year precisely because he COULD climb over the mountains.

not to mention the penalty cav received and the fact that hushovd is a better sprinter than sagan. add in farrar and davis and i just don;t see sagan getting enough high placings to make a difference like husovd did

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
sacker said:

Do you mean this year? If so, then no chance. He won't be in the team. He's only 20. No-one does the Tour at that age.

Four or five years down the line maybe. But I think he may be more of a GC contender (hard to tell just yet).

Feb 14, 2010
Visit site
Do we know that he's on the Tour team? Basso said he's going for the double, Nibali said they're sending him to the Tour de France training camp, Pellizotti will do the Tour if he's not been banned, and Kreuziger has to do well because he's in talks with Omega Pharma Lotto.

Liquigas is taking fifteen riders to training camp at the Passo San Pellegrino this week, so they're not down to the short list yet. Besides, he's a twenty year old neo-pro, and some people think he would ruin his career by riding a grand tour. :rolleyes: (Jack Bobridge may have dodged the curse by abandoning, but surely we'll never here from Richie Porte again, more's the pity).

I guess the big question is, if they take him, could they afford to have a fourth or fifth protected rider? If Basso is going for the win, and Pellizotti is trying to make the most of the time he has left, they need guys they can use up in the mountains.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I think no issue with Sagan riding tour. He may be 20 but he is tough as nails. Some 20 yr olds in Eurp are like that. No harm in riding that boy long and hard. He is Czech right?

flicker said:
I think no issue with Sagan riding tour. He may be 20 but he is tough as nails. Some 20 yr olds in Eurp are like that. No harm in riding that boy long and hard. He is Czech right?

Actually he's Slovakian..... Let's give the guy a break and let him continue to be a factor in harder week long races. IF he participates this year (highly unli´kely imo), he won't be near the green jersey as Bennati will probably be their man for the sprints. I'm sure Liquigas knows there are no reason to bring Sagan along just for the ride and to solely support Kreuziger/Pellizotti/Bennati etc.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Mambo95 said:
Four or five years down the line maybe. But I think he may be more of a GC contender (hard to tell just yet).

I think he'll become more like Valverde. Strong enough in the hills to stay with the attacks, and fast enough to win the sprints. But then again, 8 years down the line, he could win the Tour.

Steampunk said:

Nope, both of them couldn't climb a real mountain and difference between Hushovd and Cavendish is that Man from Isle of Man couldn't climb even over a hill. New rule clearly said that Gruppetto boys ( Hushovd, Cavendish, Farrar and Davis ) must be punished with penalty points

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Kender said:
not to mention the penalty cav received and the fact that hushovd is a better sprinter than sagan. add in farrar and davis and i just don;t see sagan getting enough high placings to make a difference like husovd did
you're forgetting bom toonen

Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Zen Master said:
Nope, both of them couldn't climb a real mountain and difference between Hushovd and Cavendish is that Man from Isle of Man couldn't climb even over a hill. New rule clearly said that Gruppetto boys ( Hushovd, Cavendish, Farrar and Davis ) must be punished with penalty points

I remember cav winning a stage that ended just 10 km after a cat 2 climb. and the average speed of that stage was 48 km/h don't say the guy can't get over a hill

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
TomasC said:
Through the year Sagan repeatedly stated that he is not in this year's TDF roster.
Last time in this interview (in Slovak :))

Thanks for the link. In the Tour de France question Sagan says that Liquigas might consider him for the Vuelta but he himself says that he would rather not race it for now, or something to that effect.

In the interview Sagan says that initially his goals were to just finish the stages rather than win. What a long way he's come in such a short period of time. He's also happy that his brother Juraj, George in English, has signed a contract with the team.

i dont think he will ever win green jersey,first of all his not sprinter,hes very fast in small group but against top sprinters no chance, second i dont think green jersey will ever be his goal...if he can work on his TT and climbing ability (hes 20 so there is huge space for improvment) he ll be GC contender,same like kreuziger but faster in sprint...ofc there is still posibility to win green jersey eddy merckxs style :D

I reckon Sagan could win a points jersey at some point in the next couple of years at the Giro or Vuelta; he can be up in the mix in the flat stages coming 7th to 12th, winning or being up in the top three on the intermediate stages, and losing enough time in the mountains to be allowed to get into the breaks to pick up the intermediate points. With the Tour biasing the points system in favour of flat stages it would be harder to wrestle it off the shoulders of a sprinter.

Green Tea

BANNED
Apr 14, 2010
Visit site
Could Peter Sagan win the Green Jersey at the Tour de France?

If he uses his secret weapon.

image001.png

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Kazistuta said:
Actually he's Slovakian..... Let's give the guy a break and let him continue to be a factor in harder week long races. IF he participates this year (highly unli´kely imo), he won't be near the green jersey as Bennati will probably be their man for the sprints. I'm sure Liquigas knows there are no reason to bring Sagan along just for the ride and to solely support Kreuziger/Pellizotti/Bennati etc.

Slav I think language. /body type could be Ukranian/Croatian/Czech
Fully disciplined, trained and confident. No weakness seen.
I saw him in Tour of California. A hard man, the type of rider I appreciate.

TRENDING THREADS