• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
I've noticed a few posters, notably BigBoat, claiming that some in the peleton could be using synthetic cow blood derivatives to boost performance. Just wondered if anyone else thinks there might be some truth to this.

Ignoring the shaky assumption that these products actually do as they claim, I don't, from a physiological perspective, see why any healthy individual would bother using them as a PED. As far as I can tell they play no role in oxygen transfer and, at best, might assist in glucose transfer in insulin-impaired individuals. For those with normal pancreatic insulin/glucagon production, they just seem like a complete waste of time. Who knows, maybe there is more to it and cow blood is the real deal if you're planning to scorch the climbs.

red_explosions said:
I've noticed a few posters, notably BigBoat, claiming that some in the peleton could be using synthetic cow blood derivatives to boost performance. Just wondered if anyone else thinks there might be some truth to this.

Ignoring the shaky assumption that these products actually do as they claim, I don't, from a physiological perspective, see why any healthy individual would bother using them as a PED. As far as I can tell they play no role in oxygen transfer and, at best, might assist in glucose transfer in insulin-impaired individuals. For those with normal pancreatic insulin/glucagon production, they just seem like a complete waste of time. Who knows, maybe there is more to it and cow blood is the real deal if you're planning to scorch the climbs.
It's important to remember that only a tiny advantage can make a huge difference when you're talking about guys who have trouble dropping each other, much less creating big time gaps, even on huge climbs.

My own fitness varies in one month more than the difference between the fastest and slowest guys in the entire peloton.

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
nuts

i think your on to something there: anyone who wants to be a pro rider and take on the tour might very well need to be nuts at some level to succeed. at least extremely obsessive compulsive...

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
red_explosions said:
Ignoring the shaky assumption that these products actually do as they claim, I don't, from a physiological perspective, see why any healthy individual would bother using them as a PED.

I cannot find the paper, but I remember reading that Oxyglobin (an HBOC based on bovine hemoglobin) provided sufficient oxygen transport and diffusion to vital tissue and organs that it allowed sheep to survive with a hematocrit as low as 2%. While a sheep is obviously more similar to a cow than a human, it is quite an amazing feat. So there would be an obvious potential benefit. But it is very expensive and, at least in Canada, you need to apply for a permit to purchase it so access would be difficult. According to BigBoat, they are also readily detectable. So overall, limited value in using HBOCs.

Oxyglobin is another HBOC based from cow blood. Aimed at canine anemia, it's been linked to sports athletes, though I don't know of any direct cases.

A guy I worked with had his dog treated with it earlier this year. He said it was difficult for his vet to attain and hold. So it's not like the stuff is an off-the shelf product.

Biopure manufactures a lot of similar products.

Here's a look at what Dechra oxyglobin, and Hemopure looks like, in case you ever come across some in a shoebox or something. :cool:

oxyglobin-large_new.jpg
hemobag.jpg

Oh, and if you do, drive down to your local vet, and drop them off. Don't do what Whitney did. Not only is the sh!t expensive and hard to come by, it can save lives.

TRENDING THREADS