• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 56 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Aug 18, 2009
Visit site
ingsve said:
I'm a little worried about my pick of Marko Kump. It seems like the sprinter of choice in Geox seems to be Pelucchi rather than Kump.

Maybe just this race? Kump's been on the attack a lot (aggressive jersey). They could have just wanted to give Pelucchi an opportunity, or Kump a rest.

The Hitch said:
Nobody has Antomarchi. The guy got 100 points just today and cost 27. Total of 119.
Impressive. Even if his team probably wont get too many big races.

Ya, that's a good tactic for next year. There are lots of french races that not many top teams race so there are lots of points to be gotten by all those lesser ranked french teams so if you know about some talents that will get leadership positions then it can be a gold mine. The problem is finding the right one so you don't get stuck with a domestique that only gets the 5 points for finishing races and not much else.

ingsve said:
I'm a little worried about my pick of Marko Kump. It seems like the sprinter of choice in Geox seems to be Pelucchi rather than Kump.
Kump is more versatile than Pelucchi; Pelucchi is more of a pure flat terrain man; he's also a total neo-pro, while Kump has got some results in races like Coppi e Bartali for Adria Mobil. I suspect once we're into the season proper Kump will establish himself over Pelucchi. I thought I had Pelucchi as a sentimental pick since he cost nothing, but I was mistaken.
The Hitch said:
Nobody has Antomarchi. The guy got 100 points just today and cost 27. Total of 119.
Impressive. Even if his team probably wont get too many big races.

To be fair though, his team didn't have a UCI licence when we all picked our teams, so I'd be surprised if any of us have a single LPM rider. Justin Jules has looked pretty tidy in sprints too so he could well get some good points over the French .1 calendar.

For those who like to look through cq rankings, check Cipos 2002 season.

A season a sprinter these days could only dream of.

He won a stage at TA.

He won 6, yes 6 Giro stages and the points classification. He came 2nd in one stage.

He won 3 stages at the Vuelta,

He did top 10 at flanders.

He won Ghent weglehelm.
He won Milan San Remo

And he won the Worlds.

In the end he came 4th overall. 2 of the guys in front of him were sprinters -Zabel and Mcewen, and the other was Lance in France.

9 grand tour stages, the race with the most points, a semi classic and the sprinters monument, and he could only get 3rd on the sprinters list.

Zabel who came 1st didnt win half of what Cipo won that year, and what he did win was mostly far inferior races. Yet he finished 500 ahead. Lance who did very little past TDF and the warmup Dauphine, finished 300 ahead.

Looking at that super season, its really strange to see such low returns.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:

He won a stage at TA.

He won 6, yes 6 Giro stages and the points classification. He came 2nd in one stage.

He won Ghent weglehelm.
He won Milan San Remo

And he won the Worlds.

In the end he came 4th overall. 2 of the guys in front of him were sprinters -Zabel and Mcewen, and the other was Lance in France.

9 grand tour stages, the race with the most points, a semi classic and the sprinters monument, and he could only get 3rd on the sprinters list.

Zabel who came 1st didnt win half of what Cipo won that year, and what he did win was mostly far inferior races. Yet he finished 500 ahead. Lance who did very little past TDF and the warmup Dauphine, finished 300 ahead.

For CQ purposes, a higher number of wins in lesser races counts more then a fewer number of quality wins.

Winning four 1.1 races gives you more points then winning MSR. Winning five gives you the same number of points as winning the world championships.

So think about it... a sprinter who won two of the Mallorca races then the two Mumbai races would have already gotten more points then they'd get for winning MSR. While we all look forward to the big events, performances in the smaller .1 and .HC races will likely determine the winner.

For CQ purposes, a higher number of wins in lesser races counts more then a fewer number of quality wins.

But in my example to which your responding to Zabel got a fewer number of lesser wins and Cipo got a higher number of quality wins.

kurtinsc said:
Winning four 1.1 races gives you more points then winning MSR. Winning five gives you the same number of points as winning the world championships.

So think about it... a sprinter who won two of the Mallorca races then the two Mumbai races would have already gotten more points then they'd get for winning MSR. While we all look forward to the big events, performances in the smaller .1 and .HC races will likely determine the winner.

You act as if there was only 1 Milan San Remo and hundreds of Tour de Mumbais. Of course winning 5, 1 day races is going to get more points than winning just MSR. Someone wins MSR every year. But you dont get someone winning 5 1.1 races every year.

Is there anything surprising that winning 5 hard 1 day races is worth more than MSR :confused:

As it happens no one did win all 5 Mallorca races. No one won 2 in Mallorca then 2 in Mumbai either. Somone will however win MSR. and someone will win PR. And someone will win LBL, RVV and GDL. And someone will come second. And someone will win the worlds and in a single day earn 400 cq points.

And there are 42 grand tour stages at 70 points, another 21 at 80 points. And there are overall classifications with 500 and 400 points for victories.

And there are dozens of secondary classics, and about 8 pt stage races which count as big races all with gold mines of points up for grabs.

When TA, PN, TDR, TDS, Dauphine, Eneco, Catalunia, Poland and TDu all offer 40 points for a stage alone, i cant see how a few 1 day races at 80 points are going to be the most important.

Update 6

There has been a few changes in the top 10. Funnily both Sneekes and Joy118118 made a huge jump from outside the top 10 and are now tied for 8th place. Tuarts and totters aotearoa are the ones who give way in the top 10. Some other big jumpers this week were Jukebox who moved from 64th to 51st place and The Cobra who jumped from 50th to 38th place.

In the bottom of the rankings, Wiggins_fan continues to dominate while sigsky now is the second last. al_pacino did the highest jump in the wrong direction as he moved from 43rd to 60th place.

Top 10:

Position (last update) Team name - points

1. (1) microdose - 2142
2. (2) Kevin Rudd's Hairdryer - 2066
3. (3) Pcutter - 1794
4. (5) Bicing - 1510
5. (7) Spider1964 - 1450
6. (4) auto de fé - 1434
7. (8) Moondance - 1415
8. (15) Sneekes - 1405
8. (17) Joy118118 - 1405
10. (9) LukeSchmid - 1401

Link to download:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AOHGMC9H

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Top 30 - not too shabby when most of my team really hasn't started racing yet. If only I hadn't picked Ricco (my nemesis for picking obvious dopers) - well and Sørensen and Navarro now that Contador can race again. And... and... and... funny how much wiser one gets once the season takes off :)

Kudos to Hugo for starting this game. Suddenly every little race is interesting.

- The Amateur

The Hitch said:

He won a stage at TA.

He won Ghent weglehelm.
He won Milan San Remo

And he won the Worlds.

Well, both Zabels and Cipollinis seasons are quite extreme. Cipo scored in very few races that year but when he did score it was big. Zabel ride a lot of races and did very well in most of them. To really see the diffrence look at how many individual instances or points scored they had. Cipo only scored something in 22 races. Zabel on hte other hand scored over 70 times.

If any other races had the same type of successful results that Cipo had then they would easily have won the ranking if they had an otherwise full calender of races.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
But in my example to which your responding to Zabel got a fewer number of lesser wins and Cipo got a higher number of quality wins.

You act as if there was only 1 Milan San Remo and hundreds of Tour de Mumbais. Of course winning 5, 1 day races is going to get more points than winning just MSR. Someone wins MSR every year. But you dont get someone winning 5 1.1 races every year.

Is there anything surprising that winning 5 hard 1 day races is worth more than MSR :confused:

As it happens no one did win all 5 Mallorca races. No one won 2 in Mallorca then 2 in Mumbai either. Somone will however win MSR. and someone will win PR. And someone will win LBL, RVV and GDL. And someone will come second. And someone will win the worlds and in a single day earn 400 cq points.

And there are 42 grand tour stages at 70 points, another 21 at 80 points. And there are overall classifications with 500 and 400 points for victories.

And there are dozens of secondary classics, and about 8 pt stage races which count as big races all with gold mines of points up for grabs.

When TA, PN, TDR, TDS, Dauphine, Eneco, Catalunia, Poland and TDu all offer 40 points for a stage alone, i cant see how a few 1 day races at 80 points are going to be the most important.

Because for the most part, our teams don't have a lot of guys who are going to be winning many stages of pro-tour events, let alone the GC.

There are a few out there who might, but they tend to be owned by large numbers of participants. The others who might are owned by a very small number of teams. For the most part, our teams are loaded with second tier guys who will fight for top 10's in GC's at big events or in big 1-days, not for the wins.

Because of our team makeups, I'm simply betting that smaller events (1.1, 2.1, 1.HC and 2.HC) will end up having a bigger impact on who wins then the pro-tour events... because other then Australia and maybe something like the Poland or the Eneco tour where bigger riders don't try hard, we don't have the big guns who will be competing for those points.

Teams of second tier riders = second tier races being more critical to who wins.