• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

CQ ranking

Page 32 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
EvansIsTheBest said:
history is bound to repeat itself and I insist that youngsters, not dopers will win this game.

The problem is that youngsters having a break out year is infinitely more difficult to predict than people coming back from injury or whatnot getting back to their former level or close to it.

Chosing unproven youngsters might work if you have one or two in your team and you happen to get lucky with them but as a tactic it would not work to choose 10 youngsters and hope they have a great year .That will only happen in a couple of those cases and you are left with lots of riders on the team that perform very poorly which is a hinderance.

This is what I got on IE MF and IE:

j17cdy.png

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
Save to PC won't work for me either, But I also think I got the Aussie Ben King's points when I should have the American Ben King.

Any chance you can use the Google Documents like you did before? That worked well.

ingsve said:
The problem is that youngsters having a break out year is infinitely more difficult to predict than people coming back from injury or whatnot getting back to their former level or close to it.

Chosing unproven youngsters might work if you have one or two in your team and you happen to get lucky with them but as a tactic it would not work to choose 10 youngsters and hope they have a great year .That will only happen in a couple of those cases and you are left with lots of riders on the team that perform very poorly which is a hinderance.
Exactly. There's always one or two of them who perform beyond expectations, but then there's always some who have trouble adapting to Protour level. Rasmus Guldhammer being the most obvious example. If I had to choose between him and Sagan before last season, I'd have picked Rasmus. Well, there you go.

Barrus

BANNED
Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Jancouver said:
I got 7 points for the Australian Benjamin King, yet the Ben King on my team is the US rider (Cost 149 CQ points) . Hey, I dont mind getting points for both of those guys :D

I have the same problem, I now see

Thanks for noticing me about the Benjamin King. I just forgot to rename him to KING Benjamin Aus in the 2011 points tab. It's fixed now so it will show the correct value.

Regarding the upload page, for some reason I couldn't upload it on the gmail account - I have no idea why. I then just took some random uploading page on the internet, but if someone has a suggestion for a good uploading site I will use that in the future.

For now I've used megaupload.com which hopefully works!

The updated (with the right Benjamin King) can be found here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=TP34X25C

Damn! 11th place. Missed out on the glory of being named in the first top 10 by 1 point.

After a quick analysis of the top 10 teams, I think most of them will slip in the long run. Too few riders, too much spent on one rider, or a novelty like an entirely national team. I'm worried about PCutter (solid team) and AAC1983 (pretty much the same picks I made with some of the alternates I agonized over choosing or not choosing) the most. I was ready to write off 'EvansIsTheBest' without looking at the team, but after looking and realizing that he/she didn't, in fact, pick Evans, that team looks real good too.

The possibilities are tantalizing. Can't wait for the spring when things are changing massively every week.

Yeah the first update (or the first many probably) won't mean anything. None the less I think it's really entertaining to have something to wake up to every morning (well I have other things too ;)) - I will be following a lot more races and results this year than otherwise.

skidmark said:
Damn! 11th place. Missed out on the glory of being named in the first top 10 by 1 point.

After a quick analysis of the top 10 teams, I think most of them will slip in the long run. Too few riders, too much spent on one rider, or a novelty like an entirely national team. I'm worried about PCutter (solid team) and AAC1983 (pretty much the same picks I made with some of the alternates I agonized over choosing or not choosing) the most. I was ready to write off 'EvansIsTheBest' without looking at the team, but after looking and realizing that he/she didn't, in fact, pick Evans, that team looks real good too.

The possibilities are tantalizing. Can't wait for the spring when things are changing massively every week.
I would have taken Evans if I had not taken this game seriously because let's face it at nearly 2000 points where is he going to improve.
Plus if I fail, I still have a safety valv which is cheering Evans.
Sorry you weren't in the top 10, feels great :p
I don't think I'll be a top contender, with Van Garderen, Van Avermaet and Boom probably too expensive but most of all too much French :D
However, I still think it will be enough to prove my theory about youngsters.

EvansIsTheBest said:
I'm not saying that I have the new Sagan but I am petty sure someone has him and I would be very surprised not to see that person on the podium.

And even a Keukeleire (about 500 points increase) will turn out more profitable than a Deignan (even if he repeats his 2009 Vuelta, which he won't) or a Vande Velde.

And youngsters scoring 500 points increase is not unusual : Ladagnous (2008 to 2009), R. Feillu (2006 to 2007), Porte (2009 to 2010), C. Pineau (2009 to 2010), Mollema (2009 to 2010), Pardilla (2009 to 2010), Fuglsang (2008 to 2009), Hoogerland (2008 to 2009), Le Lay (2008 to 2009), El Farès (2008 to 2009) to name a few (mostly french because I know them best).

In the meantime, how many dopers score this kind of increase : Basso, Ventoso, Petacchi, Scarponi, Vinokourov, Ricco. All were and are stars that present more guarantees than the dopers coming back this year except Schumacher (which interestingly had a 800 points increase in 2006), Rebellin (which had a 1000 points increase in 1999), Di Luca (which had 1000 points variations from one season to another quite frequently) and Pellizoti IMO.

As for youngsters scoring 1000 points increase these last years we had Haussler (2009), Boassen Hagen (2009), Greipel (2008), Ricco (2007), Kashechkin (2006), Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez (2006), history is bound to repeat itself and I insist that youngsters, not dopers will win this game.

I should be embarrased that ingsve put my point forward in 2 paragraphs better than i did in several posts. As he says its easier to find the dopers or 10 of them, then it is to find a Sagan or even just 2 of them.

I will also point out that there are more dopers returning (or in case of Ricco, sella, half returning) this year. You have the 2009 crowd and the 2008 crowd who couldnt get a good team last year. According to wikipedia 2007 had 8 positives to 2008's 14.

And on your list of young 1000 point increases, Kashechkin was 25, Ricco was 25 Greipel was 26 and Samu was 28. Not really youngsters.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
EvansIsTheBest said:
I would have taken Evans if I had not taken this game seriously because let's face it at nearly 2000 points where is he going to improve.
Plus if I fail, I still have a safety valv which is cheering Evans.
Sorry you weren't in the top 10, feels great :p
I don't think I'll be a top contender, with Van Garderen, Van Avermaet and Boom probably too expensive but most of all too much French :D
However, I still think it will be enough to prove my theory about youngsters.
You think Evans IS the best but don't have him in your team? YOU PHONY!:D
sublimit said:
ACF is a traitor to his country for not having enough Australian riders!
Is it me or is Wiggins_fan team rubbish? probably would be a better cross country ski team than cycle racing. :p

theyoungest said:
Haha, I'm ahead of ACF, when the only available result is the Aussie nationals. Whodda thunk. I feel a winning season coming up.

BTW, don't you have Gerrans on your team? He seems a good pick, especially for an Aussie cycling fan.

I actually did better than I expected. I only had Roe(26), Howard(22), renshaw & sutton in the rr.

The other aussies I have are evans, haussler, ogrady and lancaster.

skidmark said:

PC utter has a great team, but i said earlier i see you as a favorite over him.

where AAC1983 and Evansisthebest lose out is they dont have enough of the buys ive been talking about. Evansisthebest is one of only 24 people who DIDNT choose Delfino (though if he continues not getting picked up by a team, it could be for his good.

AAC doesnt have Ballan, doesnt have Kash, Shumacher, Soler, Di Luca, VDV, Cobo. Evans.... only has VDV from that list.

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
: 2011 Australian National Mens TT Champs:1.Cameron Meyer (47.11) 2.Jack Bobridge (47.24) 3.Michael Matthews (47.32) CC.

Yay that's more points for me! Lets end the game now, I may never make the top 10 again.

No starters for me in the ITT. I'm possibly regretting overcorrecting my bias for Meyer/Bobridge. Now I'm conflicted between wanting to see them do well for the rest of the season and further making me annoyed at my decision! Next season we need a fanboy team and a tryhard team :p

Not to worry though, I will be on top of the world after the TdU with Cavendish/Goss/Chicchi/Galimzyanov.

Who else has a stack of the sprinters in the TdU? i.e. Farrar/Greipel/McEwen/Davis/Haedos/Feillu/Brown.

The Hitch said:
PC utter has a great team, but i said earlier i see you as a favorite over him.

where AAC1983 and Evansisthebest lose out is they dont have enough of the buys ive been talking about. Evansisthebest is one of only 24 people who DIDNT choose Delfino (though if he continues not getting picked up by a team, it could be for his good.

AAC doesnt have Ballan, doesnt have Kash, Shumacher, Soler, Di Luca, VDV, Cobo. Evans.... only has VDV from that list.

Yes indeed, you did say that, I had forgotten. Flattery will get you everywhere, sir.

Although it is really strange for me to look at AAC's team, it's seriously a bunch of guys on my team, and most of my last minute cuts: Bos, Bozic, Chavanel, Galimzyanov, Kroon, Navarro, Taaramae... seems like we were thinking along similar lines. It's like an alternate universe team. Although I guess that still leaves about 11-12 guys different, so maybe it's not that much of a coincidence.

And with regards to the 'good buys', well I mean yeah, they're good on paper, but I guess the best battle plan only lasts until the first shot is fired. Still, I'd definitely rather have guys that have been to battle and survived before than young guys who are full of bravado but might get blown up right away. That's what makes this game fun, though, it seems like some people are ultra strategic and want steady guys, some guys are going with their favourites, and some folks are trying to find the next big neo-pro so they can say they called it. I guess when there's only bragging rights on the line, people can aim for whatever they want.

And more generally, Bobridge nets another 42 points! Made up 33 points more than 2010 total by January 10th. Excellent. I wonder if he's riding the TDU, I haven't seen Garvelo's team yet...

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I only got Ciolek and Greipel for TDU

Anybody know where I can find the race calendar for EPM UNE? Juan Pablo Suarez is on my team and I wanna track his progress

TRENDING THREADS