• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crapness of drugs testing

May 6, 2009
Visit site
There's a lot of worrying things flying around at the moment. But for me it just goes to show how absolutely ineffectual drugs testing must be.

Over the past few years in particular we've heard of riders explaining how easy it is to escape tests. They seem to openly laugh at the efforts of WADA/etc.

Is it lack of money? Corruption? Too many legal rights for riders? Scientifically challenging?

You'd think with random out-of-competition tests, there would be positives flying all over the place (if we're to assume that 80% of the peleton are doped).

Thoughts?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Too many organizations police tbeir own sport and this have a massive economic interest in ensuring there are no scandals.

Drug testing thuis becomes a way in which the authorities can reassure the audience that competition is fair, whilst actively seeking to catch as few people as possible.

The ultimate version of this is the "doping by commitee" UCI Biopassport, where a group of shady figures running the sport get to decide who to sacrifice. Usually small fish, but always the recourse to punish someone higher up the food chain should they incur wrath. Golden Geese will be protected.

The sport of tennis is equally ridiculous.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
couple of tests are not used.

autologous blood tests are possible
a hgh test with a much longer window is available
an epo test with a much longer window is available, might be more sensitive to micro dose too

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Using EPO to get to 50% hematocrit is safe and should be legalized until they can actually get a good test going for EPO. Same for HGH. HGH is undetectable and works wonders for muscle growth, I'd be surprised if someone in the pro ranks hasn't been taking HGH for their entire career. Testosterone cream should also be legal for training but not during racing. I just don't want only the "sophisticated" dopers to be the winners, while everyone else who doesn't want to deal with the headache does some sissy super-lite doping that will never be detected and won't help them beat the real doped guys. But hey, a Cofidis rider won a mountain stage at the Giro today, that's a good sign!

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site
santacruz said:
Using EPO to get to 50% hematocrit is safe and should be legalized until they can actually get a good test going for EPO. Same for HGH. HGH is undetectable and works wonders for muscle growth, I'd be surprised if someone in the pro ranks hasn't been taking HGH for their entire career. Testosterone cream should also be legal for training but not during racing. I just don't want only the "sophisticated" dopers to be the winners, while everyone else who doesn't want to deal with the headache does some sissy super-lite doping that will never be detected and won't help them beat the real doped guys. But hey, a Cofidis rider won a mountain stage at the Giro today, that's a good sign!

I thought you were going into Roller Derby.

TRENDING THREADS