• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Crash caused by the radio

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't know what is causing all the crashes, but every year it seems to be getting worse. And I am getting tired of it.

Personally, from watching, I think a big part is the pressure the guys in the peloton are putting on themselves in the race. Everybody seems to be going flat out full gas so much of the time. Too many guys are trying to compete the results at too many places. Watching the tv, the riders were looking downright squirrelly today - people were all over the place. It looks like some nats I remember where 200 people were trying to compete the final sprint, and 179 of them probably had no business being up there, but that was the glory they were there for.

Maybe radios contribute, sheesh, maybe bike design contributes - hair trigger steering? Race pace maybe contributes - the economics of the races certainly contributes - a better payday makes more guys hungry for sure.

But you know, I don't watch bike races because I want to see blood, or because I want to watch guys get concussed, or broken bones. Nope, for that I watch football.

I don't think it's getting worse. The biggest carnage I can remember was in the 1997 Tour, when all GC contenders except for Ullrich, Olano and maybe one or two others lost anything from one to five or ten minutes or thereabouts, many of them losing time in three, four or even five different days due to crashes.

People crash during the whole first week because most of them still have the energy to fight for their position within the peloton, and all GC riders still have their ambitions intact because there hasn't been any mountain stages to show them their place. One or two mountain stages in the first week would do wonders to alleviate the problem.

May 19, 2011
Visit site
so maybe get rid of radio in certain stages is a good thing, and rider can play their instinct about wind directions not rely on the command from the directors

Damiano Machiavelli said:
Road narrows. 22 DSes scream into their radios to get their boys to the front. What could possibly go wrong?

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I believe that the unusual amount of crashes are a result of a lack of sportsmanship. Crashes have always happened more near the back of the race, but crashed riders could usually count on the fact that nobody would go to the front of the race and drill it in order to gain time. Today's riders seem to lack a sense of decency, and a simple crash could become catastrophic to a GC rider.

Because of this, a sense of urgency is created, and everybody claws their way to the front. We all know that there is not room up there for all GC contenders and their teams. It is an impossible situation. The first stage of this Tour has set the tone for how this race will be raced. There is little honesty and respect in today's peloton.

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
Yes Ryo, you're quite correct. Colombian riders rely on pure instinct and intuition. Only crappy western riders, pumped up on FAIL and cheap coffee need race radio.

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
There have always been crashes and there will always be crashes. This year is nothing out of the ordinary really, just the victims are bigger names than usual. Which is just bad luck for them. Radios or no radios isn't going to make any difference. You really think without the radios people suddenly don't all want to be in front anymore? Crashes are part of cycling, mostly on descents and during the first week of the Tour.

May 4, 2010
Visit site
hiero2 said:
I don't know what is causing all the crashes, but every year it seems to be getting worse. And I am getting tired of it.

Personally, from watching, I think a big part is the pressure the guys in the peloton are putting on themselves in the race. Everybody seems to be going flat out full gas so much of the time. Too many guys are trying to compete the results at too many places. Watching the tv, the riders were looking downright squirrelly today - people were all over the place. It looks like some nats I remember where 200 people were trying to compete the final sprint, and 179 of them probably had no business being up there, but that was the glory they were there for.

Maybe radios contribute, sheesh, maybe bike design contributes - hair trigger steering? Race pace maybe contributes - the economics of the races certainly contributes - a better payday makes more guys hungry for sure.

But you know, I don't watch bike races because I want to see blood, or because I want to watch guys get concussed, or broken bones. Nope, for that I watch football.
Same comments come up at the end of the first week - every year.

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Crashing

So.....riddle me this....why are the number of crashes significantly higher in the tour than in the other big tours? The answer cannot simply be " put in a mountain stage or two in the first week to tire out the riders and seperate the main contenders". It also can not be because its "le tour"...if you believe that, do you honestly think the gc contenders don't care as much about winning the giro or the vuelta? I can gurantee you they care just as much. Especially the giro....passionate people down there. I haven't kept count or anything, but I suspect this years crashes are attributed more to the garbage weather more so than the other stated reasons.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
JeffreyPerry said:
So.....riddle me this....why are the number of crashes significantly higher in the tour than in the other big tours? The answer cannot simply be " put in a mountain stage or two in the first week to tire out the riders and seperate the main contenders". It also can not be because its "le tour"...if you believe that, do you honestly think the gc contenders don't care as much about winning the giro or the vuelta? I can gurantee you they care just as much. Especially the giro....passionate people down there. I haven't kept count or anything, but I suspect this years crashes are attributed more to the garbage weather more so than the other stated reasons.

Of course its because its the Tour.

At the Giro and Vuelta you will have less teams taking risks for every single stage - but for the Tour everyone is fighting for something.

To the Blue - how many teams are under pressure for a big GC or stage in other GT's?

Mid stage big points sprints are not helping. Teams are forming trains at the 90km mark. That's never happened. Normally that's peloton chat & "catch up" time. ie how's the kids, how's things at Sky? etc.

Lot more jockeying for position early on = crashes.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
JeffreyPerry said:

Why not?

The difference between the TDF and almost every other race is that no one is using the race as a training exercise and consequently nobody is willing to sit at the back. Once we've had a mountain stage and a week of racing riders will start to feel tired and those interested in breakaways and the sprinters will be happy to sit at the back and coast because they're not bothered about losing time and want to save there energy.

A route with crosswinds doesn't help either.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
It seems to me, looking at the aerial shots, that the bunch is riding very compact - sort of short and fat, with minimal space between the riders - instead of thinner and more elongated. This does happen when too many riders are fighting to ride up front. Riders are at the very edge of the road trying to gain position. Then all it needs if for a barrier or the grass verge not to be quite straight, or for there to be a jagged road edge or loose drain cover or whatever and someone comes down. That is why, I think, we have the sort edge of the road crashes that have happened in the last two days.

To that extent, DS constantly ordering their riders to ride closer to the front (which in my experience is what a DS says about 50% of the time) may be a factor.

Jul 7, 2010
Visit site
At least a couple of riders after the stage (Eisel and Thomas for example) have alluded to the riding of certain GC contenders causing some of the trouble in the peloton.

Anyone know who they are referring to in particular?

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
maxmartin said:
What do you guys think? Today radio said wind changed into crosswind, then everybody is trying to move up then bang CRASH!!:mad:

A lot of the times that happens. 22 DS' tell their riders get to the front, they all scrable to the front, CRASH. It is not possible for everyone to be in the front.

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Rooboy said:
At least a couple of riders after the stage (Eisel and Thomas for example) have alluded to the riding of certain GC contenders causing some of the trouble in the peloton.

Anyone know who they are referring to in particular?

Eisel was complaining about Leopard and the Schlecks.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Some people must think this is the first time this race took place. Its the Nth running and N is about 100 and something, its the same country, its the same roads, same cities and race win hungry rabid racers! Those of us who remember have seen this many times, its the drama that is le Tour and will always be. Its not the top race for nothing! Its tough and its rough and everyone wants to win it, otherwise why would they be there, why are careers made with a stage win or an overall win! Heck even wearing the yellow jersey for a day makes a pro rider a legend or almost legend. Nothing will change, live through the drama and embrace le Tour.

Tomorrow's another stage and I'm watching from the gun!

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
Dr. Maserati said:

At the Giro and Vuelta you will have less teams taking risks for every single stage - but for the Tour everyone is fighting for something.

To the Blue - how many teams are under pressure for a big GC or stage in other GT's?[/QUOTE]

I would say that depending on the team, a stage win is a stage win. Yes, I do understand that the tour is watched by millions of people worldwide. I would argue that the giro and vuelta are watched by a significant number also. Just not "worldwide". If a team that was based in Italy were to win a stage in the giro, I would think that would be highly prized over one from France. I guess for individual teams it boils down to sponsors of the team. Because ultimately the sponsors determine what is a success, not the tv ratings.

JeffreyPerry said:
Dr. Maserati said:

To the Blue - how many teams are under pressure for a big GC or stage in other GT's?[/QUOTE]

I would say that depending on the team, a stage win is a stage win. Yes, I do understand that the tour is watched by millions of people worldwide. I would argue that the giro and vuelta are watched by a significant number also. Just not "worldwide". If a team that was based in Italy were to win a stage in the giro, I would think that would be highly prized over one from France. I guess for individual teams it boils down to sponsors of the team. Because ultimately the sponsors determine what is a success, not the tv ratings.

Sponsors are there because of exposure. If more fans are watching, then the sponsorship money comes. That's why Super Bowl commercials cost a gazillion dollars for 30 seconds.

Many different factors and what statistical data do we actually have say in the last 30 years to back up the theory that this year is worse or that there is a trend?

Only thing I can point to is there was no prologue so they just sort of hit the ground running so to speak. Seems to be inordinately greater pressure to be up front, but maybe that's just me. Roads are narrower, more coastal stages this week which tends to always be windy, at least any coast I have ever visited.

I really don't think radios hinder as much as they help.

Perhaps the race is growing. It's the Super Bowl and the rest of the season...to the masses is becoming less relevant if not completely irrelevant. So the pressure to do well here becomes that much bigger.

But I'd like to see statistics. My guess is that some years are worse than others but no real trend exists.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Ragerod said:
Eisel was complaining about Leopard and the Schlecks.

Where does your information come from? Are you a mind reader? Clairvoyant? Or just another Leopard Trek hater? And even if you're right about Eisel's thoughts, it's worth noting that staying to the front has kept them out of crashes.

This is hardly a new phenomenon; it happens every year during the first week. If the GC guys ride forward, the sprinter teams whine about it; if they ride farther back, everyone calls them stupid and says they deserve any crashes that come their way. Where would you have them ride-- a mile or so back from the group?

TRENDING THREADS