• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Create a dedicated doping category (please?)

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Webmaster.

Might I suggest creating another category within this forum dedicated to doping? It appears that some here can't seem to get beyond the topic, regardless of what the original thread may be. If these individuals want to be cynical and rant, please create a dedicated forum where they're able to post away as much as they like. Thereby, individuals like myself can read and participate in the discussion of riders, races, etc., without getting bogged down reading the latest unfounded accusations of these posters. I mean, seriously, why do these individuals even follow the sport if they're soooooooo disgusted?

Just a thought.

Watch out for Gibo in a couple of weeks. This years Giro is gonna be good.

Peace out.

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
I agree the doper thread hijacking is out of control on this forum. I agree doping is an issue. I think starting a doping forum will not work because these are self-righteous pompous turds who will not relent until you believe in their god and they will never go play in their own sandbox. Perhaps just noting "(non-dope)" when you start a thread will let them know the thread is about actual bike racing?! Or conversly make a rule that unless the thread title states "doping" the dope heads should find another soapbox to stand on.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Could we also have a dedicated Armstrong forum where those who wish to spout vile xenophobic twaddle can fully indulge themselves and the rest of us will know to steer clear? Some of the stuff I've read on threads that were otherwise about debating the issues is really appalling. I appreciate that passions run high around this most passionate of sports but they really shouldn't be allowed to boil over into racism.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
bianchigirl said:
Could we also have a dedicated Armstrong forum where those who wish to spout vile xenophobic twaddle can fully indulge themselves and the rest of us will know to steer clear? Some of the stuff I've read on threads that were otherwise about debating the issues is really appalling. I appreciate that passions run high around this most passionate of sports but they really shouldn't be allowed to boil over into racism.

pot-kettle- black...that wouldn't keep you away. :rolleyes:

BG and fellow JC wums (you know who you are), I’d like to see YOU resist polluting threads with verbal bile regarding Astana, LA, Contador et all on threads unless specifically labeled as such. Or, go back to your home forum where such group think is required twiddling, where no dissenters or alternative debate is allowed.

It goes both ways my dear, as does your buzz word twiddle of the moment.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
astokes said:
I mean, seriously, why do these individuals even follow the sport if they're soooooooo disgusted?

This years Giro is gonna be good.

Peace out.

Actually I compete in "the sport."

Gonna be good tuning in to see the who has the most powerful drugs this year (Gibo doesnt.)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Since the dope talkers won't stop even with banned accounts (since they just create new ones and log back in), maybe just maybe the moderators can just delete the dope talk in threads that have nothing to do with dope? I for one can start clicking the warning icon so they're notified and the rest can do the same if they really want it off.

I'm sure if many of us want it and continue to click the warning button (upper right of the post, red bordered triangle with a ! in it) we will get our wish done, sure it take some effort but if the dope talkers are removed from the non-dope threads they'll eventually give up due to lack of exposure and waste of time.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
the dope talkers are removed from the non-dope threads they'll eventually give up due to lack of exposure and waste of time.

85% of the new threads are dope talk threads. The direction of their argument is wrong.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A poll would be interesting, but I don't think there is anyway to stop thread napping, and people are on this forum to express their opinions, even if people don't like those expressed they have a right of reply. Hence the name forum!

I think if you asked the moderators to look at everything written here, they could find cause to remove about 99% for some reason or another.

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
Actually I compete in "the sport."

Gonna be good tuning in to see the who has the most powerful drugs this year (Gibo doesnt.)

So you dope then? or have you never won a race.

Has to be one or the other judging by all your posts

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
BigBoat said:
85% of the new threads are dope talk threads. The direction of their argument is wrong.

If we all complain about your constant dope posts hijacks and threads they will be gone. A win win situation for all.

davidg said:
So you dope then? or have you never won a race.

Has to be one or the other judging by all your posts

Or he simply competes in amateur competition. Most amateurs up to Cat 3 are quite clean IMHO. It's when you hop into the Pro/1/2 field that things get dicey if you want to advance to the next level and get signed to a big team. Me I have a real career and don't want to upgrade out of 3 so I've learned to handle my own cynicism about the sport. Every racer I know has a love/hate relationship with the sport, that's just what cycling does to you. Think about it, you have to enjoy being a masochist if you want to race a bike and there's no way around that - toeing the line means welcoming the pain and if you don't enjoy the pain you might as well drop out. People that succeed in bike racing would probably be basket case EMO people that cut themselves or drown themselves in alcohol if they didn't find the sport. It doesn't mean we don't love it, we just express our affection in a different way than your typical fan. :D

And here, I'll end this with some positivity for all: I've raced amateur for 10 years in 2 of the biggest hotbeds of racing in America and I've never met a doper or even raced against one that I know of.

Apr 10, 2009
Visit site
BikeCentric said:
Or he simply competes in amateur competition. Most amateurs up to Cat 3 are quite clean IMHO. It's when you hop into the Pro/1/2 field that things get dicey if you want to advance to the next level and get signed to a big team.

...........And here, I'll end this with some positivity for all: I've raced amateur for 10 years in 2 of the biggest hotbeds of racing in America and I've never met a doper or even raced against one that I know of.

Bike Centric, I really appreciate and want to share your positive viewpoint, and I don't want to sound like Big Boat, but I can tell you from personal experience you are giving way too much credit to amateur racing.

I have had teammates (sad I know) that have looked me in the eye and told me what I should be taking. Other teammates that have taken things that personal friends have been eyewitness to and this was in Category 4, quite a few years back. I think it would boggle the mind to know how many amateur cyclists, from Cat 5 on up (I race Masters now, and quite honestly think they are some of the biggest violators of the drug policy), that partake in chemical enhancement to achieve local greatness or even mediocrity in some cases. It is sad, really.

Personal Disclaimer: I have never taken anything and couldn't look myself in the mirror if I did. So I can believe that there can be clean riders on the same team as complete pharmacological zombies.

BikeCentric said:
And here, I'll end this with some positivity for all: I've raced amateur for 10 years in 2 of the biggest hotbeds of racing in America and I've never met a doper or even raced against one that I know of.

You are either naive or very lucky. I stopped racing years ago yet knew a number of people who were using steroids and a lot more using OTC amphetamines--maybe not so OTC in some cases. Nowdays I know quite a few cyclists that do not race, have never raced, and will never race but are using drugs. It is pathetic. It appears the main reason is simply to maintain their self-image and reputation amongst their friends and acquaintances as a strong rider.

Stop the thread hijacking and we won't have a problem.

There is not enough moderation here to enforce a doping forum anyway. We need to develop a culture that looks down on hijacking.

It really is not that hard to start new threads to discuss some aspect of doping, and to title them so it is clear what the reader will be getting if they click on the thread.

i agree that the xenophobic remarks are much worse than even the most unsubstantiated doping accusations, but it's certainly not exclusive to or from one nationality. It's all equally distasteful to me, whether it be towards Americans, Spaniards, French, Australians, whomever...

jaylew said:
i agree that the xenophobic remarks are much worse than even the most unsubstantiated doping accusations..

Of course one of the big issues is what constitutes an "unsubstantiated" doping allegation. The rational people look at Armstrong's six positives for EPO and a mountain of other evidence and say that is rock solid case of doping. The fanboys would not accept that any evidence whatsoever is enough to convict their idol. And that is a clear cut case. What about a rider like Contador? He rode on a team with a teamwide doping program. He has been implicated by Werner Franke, who has access to the Puerto documents. He has performances, like the P-N prolgoue, that are very suspicious to say the least. But this a more iffy case than Armstrong.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
Perhaps a separate Armstrong Fan Forum? It seems that so much revolves whether you're for or against and the man is such a lightning rod for doping allegations that hiving him off to a separate place would leave the rest of the forum free to discuss racing and results.

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
astokes said:
Webmaster.

Might I suggest creating another category within this forum dedicated to doping? It appears that some here can't seem to get beyond the topic, regardless of what the original thread may be. If these individuals want to be cynical and rant, please create a dedicated forum where they're able to post away as much as they like. Thereby, individuals like myself can read and participate in the discussion of riders, races, etc., without getting bogged down reading the latest unfounded accusations of these posters. I mean, seriously, why do these individuals even follow the sport if they're soooooooo disgusted?

Just a thought.

Watch out for Gibo in a couple of weeks. This years Giro is gonna be good.

Peace out.

So discussing doping which is rampant in professional cycling is "cynical" and "ranting"? I disagree. It's the elephant in the room that can't be ignored.

TRENDING THREADS