• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 89 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
movingtarget said:
Play nice ! Hard to see England turning it around at Perth and if they draw they have to win the final two tests to retain the Ashes. All in all, a huge task for a team out of form.

Sorry just pretty excited to be in the position we are after predictions pre-English leg of the series of 10-0 whitewashes etc. :)

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
This was always going to happen. There were signs of it in England. Australia held first innings leads in every match except Lords- fairly sizable first innings leads, too. First test: 65 runs. Third test: 159 runs. Fourth test: 32 runs. Fifth test: 115 runs.

England were able to bounce back every single time in the second innings, but that sort of thing is a) emotionally and physically very draining and b) dependent on the other team screwing up; and therefore is very, very unsustainable. That England were able to come back and win 2 tests as well as save a further 2, despite being up the creek at the half way point, indicated that Australia were not far away at all, and also indicated that on home turf, things would go differently. I did predict a series win at some point, although I never thought the Ashes would be regained by Perth and a whitewash potentially coming. Because of the toll that having to come from behind all the time exacted on England, they really don't have it in them anymore to fight against adversity. The squad has aged about 20 years over the past 6 months. They need a long, long break; or failing that, they need to draft in 5 or 6 new players. Trott, Tremlett, Swann, and Anderson might never play test cricket again. Matt Prior shouldn't, either.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Also David Warner is probably the most perfect guy in all world cricket to rub salt into wounds and kick an opponent when they're down. There's nothing like a rapid century at the top of the order to stretch a 100+ lead to a 250+ lead in the blink of an eye, completely knocking the stuffing out of the other team.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Alphabet said:
This was always going to happen. There were signs of it in England.

Not of the whitewash we are potentially seeing. I had high hopes for Australia to win 3-1 perhaps but this is embarrassing for England given the quality of the core players of their side.

I think one thing I have underestimated about the Aussie attack and its impact on the English is that their batsmen can never really feel like they are underway because our pacemen are just so relentless and at them all the time. It would be demoralizing for them.

Another aspect of Australian cricket that we need to speak volumes about is just how much Lehmann has turned around our fortunes. He's managed to bring a team of really individuals and make them into a consistent performing team as a whole.

Alphabet said:
This was always going to happen. There were signs of it in England. Australia held first innings leads in every match except Lords- fairly sizable first innings leads, too. First test: 65 runs. Third test: 159 runs. Fourth test: 32 runs. Fifth test: 115 runs.

England were able to bounce back every single time in the second innings, but that sort of thing is a) emotionally and physically very draining and b) dependent on the other team screwing up; and therefore is very, very unsustainable. That England were able to come back and win 2 tests as well as save a further 2, despite being up the creek at the half way point, indicated that Australia were not far away at all, and also indicated that on home turf, things would go differently. I did predict a series win at some point, although I never thought the Ashes would be regained by Perth and a whitewash potentially coming. Because of the toll that having to come from behind all the time exacted on England, they really don't have it in them anymore to fight against adversity. The squad has aged about 20 years over the past 6 months. They need a long, long break; or failing that, they need to draft in 5 or 6 new players. Trott, Tremlett, Swann, and Anderson might never play test cricket again. Matt Prior shouldn't, either.

If Matt Prior is the best keeper/batsman in England at the moment they have problems. He has a had a terrible series so far especially behind the stumps.

darwin553 said:
Not of the whitewash we are potentially seeing. I had high hopes for Australia to win 3-1 perhaps but this is embarrassing for England given the quality of the core players of their side.

I think one thing I have underestimated about the Aussie attack and its impact on the English is that their batsmen can never really feel like they are underway because our pacemen are just so relentless and at them all the time. It would be demoralizing for them.

Another aspect of Australian cricket that we need to speak volumes about is just how much Lehmann has turned around our fortunes. He's managed to bring a team of really individuals and make them into a consistent performing team as a whole.
This^^^

Lehmann and Clarke (love him or hate him) seem to be the new Simpson and Border. Lehmann has turned the attitude around 180 degrees and Clarke has lead from the front with more guts than Ponting could dream of ever having.

I still think that the best thing Aus has done this series is target Cook. Every time he's come in to bat Johnson and Harris have unleashed. If you go back and look at most of his dismissals they have been from excellent effort balls. Terrorise the captain and get inside his head and you're halfway there, especially when he's the best batsman too.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
Lovely stuff.

I also forgot to mention that Australia had South Africa right up against it, on the ropes twice last summer, while in the same year, South Africa mauled England in England. This was the most likely outcome and the result shouldn't come as a surprise. We probably would have beaten England in England, as well, if Swann missed the series or the pitches were as helpful to spin as they have been in this series (which is to say, not helpful whatsoever).

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Well Australia wins back the urn. Not a feat that should be treated lightly. There should be reprisals for the English when they go back home but really with the poor caliber of other leadership choices in the team it does lend itself to Cook remaining in his position if new captaincy was an issue up for debate.

However, it might spell the end for Andy Flower.

The ECB should take note of Flower's responses in the media conference just after Trott left home in that it was an occasion for him to highlight the difficulties that Trott had been facing and not, as he did, which was a chance to focus on the attacks/sledges of Warner and Clarke.

Oct 21, 2012
twitter.com
I like Stokes, he's a bit Andrew Flintoff. Carberry looks like he belongs at test level, as well. I'd bin Prior and Tremlett forever, Swann, KP, Bresnan and Anderson for a couple of months and build a team around the following; if I were Andy Flower:

Cook
Carberry
Root
Bell
xxx
Stokes
Bairstow (wk)
xxx
Broad
Finn
Panesar

Bring back Swann, KP, Bresnan, and Anderson after they've had a good break away from the pressures of international cricket (only if they look like they've turned things around in county cricket); and Trott, whenever he's recovered.

Alphabet said:
I like Stokes, he's a bit Andrew Flintoff. Carberry looks like he belongs at test level, as well. I'd bin Prior and Tremlett forever, Swann, KP, Bresnan and Anderson for a couple of months and build a team around the following; if I were Andy Flower:

Cook
Carberry
Root
Bell
xxx
Stokes
Bairstow (wk)
xxx
Broad
Finn
Panesar

Bring back Swann, KP, Bresnan, and Anderson after they've had a good break away from the pressures of international cricket (only if they look like they've turned things around in county cricket); and Trott, whenever he's recovered.

Anderson and Swann have been rested from the ODI's after the Test Series. Finn wasn't too impressive in England. I think Carberry looks quite good.

Not the end that Swann would have wanted but if his mind is not in the right place he is doing the right thing, stepping down. Great career and a great competitor but has not performed in Australia. Two elbow injuries probably have not helped. Let's see if Panesar has something to offer in the last two tests.

movingtarget said:
Not the end that Swann would have wanted but if his mind is not in the right place he is doing the right thing, stepping down. Great career and a great competitor but has not performed in Australia. Two elbow injuries probably have not helped. Let's see if Panesar has something to offer in the last two tests.

I doubt Panesar has much to offer unless there is some assistance from the pitch, when there is little help from the pitch he looks very ordinary and is a liability in the field.

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I struggle to see how the selection of bairstow will do England any good. Kieswetter is a much better prospect than a player that doesn't know what they are going to function as on an international level whether be it a batsman or keeper. He also failed to impress me in England and what I saw today he looks like another Trott in that he seems to be afraid of genuine pace.