• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Come of it.. get off the drugs.

I'll take Garner, Marshall, Holding, Walsh, Patterson etc! any day of the week.

Seriously, Anderson may be considered to get a game amongst the West Indies greats, Bresnan and Tremlett have their moments, but the others are cannon fodder. Finn, Onions and Shahzad are county military medium pacers at best. Broad averages under 30 with the bat and over 30 with the ball, for him to be mentioned in the same breath as the West Indians would have Malcolm Marshall turning in his grave.

Just because they beat up on a 2nd rate Aussie side and a stuttering India, does not make them a match for the aforementioned West Indians.

I would never compare them with the West indies but saying some of the others are Cannon fodder is highly inaccurate. Even though Australia is not as good as it use to be, England's bowling attack was brilliant. Anderson, Tremlett, Broad, Bresnan & Swann are all quality bowlers. India is still a quality side so to beat them show's how good they are.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
Love it.

Here's another Mitchell Johnson video, him vs Jimmy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AE1iv008N8

Johnson will definitely play the first test now, 6-89 in the match. Siddle being taken apart in the second innings 1-57 at 5.5 after a very good first dig. Copeland struggling 1-99 in the match, which has been dominated by the bowlers.

Australia's batting performance is worrisome, there's very little fight in it apart from Hussey, Clarke, Marsh and the explosiveness of Watson.

Meanwhile, one of my favourite teams Zimbabwe continues to show respectability in tests after bowling out NZ for 426 and responding with 82/1.:cool:

Bowling a team out for 426 is certainly not respectable. You certainly get little fight from Clarke. He's very inconsistent. Another over rated cricketer in Australia.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
I would never compare them with the West indies but saying some of the others are Cannon fodder is highly inaccurate. Even though Australia is not as good as it use to be, England's bowling attack was brilliant. Anderson, Tremlett, Broad, Bresnan & Swann are all quality bowlers. India is still a quality side so to beat them show's how good they are.

Yes ACF, but Swann wasn't mentioned? He'd get in a West Indies side if they picked a spinner... never needed one though.

You may want to reread what I said... Anderson was the exception, Bresnan and Tremlett have their moments, but I stand by my rating of Finn, Onions and Shahzad. The England selectors obviously agree with me because the latter two are not even on central contracts. Broad's test record is that of a good ordinary player at best.

I'm not saying that Englands bowlers haven't played well recently, but my point is that to compare them to the great West Indian sides of the past is highly inaccurate.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:
Bowling a team out for 426 is certainly not respectable. You certainly get little fight from Clarke. He's very inconsistent. Another over rated cricketer in Australia.

Easy to get on the Michael Clarke over-rated bandwagon, but his Test and ODI records suggest that he has been a very good player for a considerable amount of time... consistent even.

------Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave 100 50
Tests 72 119 12 4956 168 46.31 15 21
ODIs 206 188 42 6622 130 45.35 6 49

Not over-rated in my book. His media profile, including his looks, are sometimes confused with his rating as a player. The guy can play.

Jul 2, 2009
Visit site
Alpe d'Huez said:
Anyone have a good link to show the rules? Preferably one with video examples? Because I simply don't get the sport, much at all.

51RYlAqyRLL._SS500_.jpg

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
I know you like Baseball Alpe, google T20 cricket and you will see some similarities. A lot of the cricket teams have adopted the swings seen in MLB to T20 cricket (shortened backswing, driving through the ball using the hips.. google David Warner).

I read a book years ago written by Ted Williams, in it he highlighted how hard it was to hit a baseball, comparing it to Golf in that you were hitting a stationery ball on a tee in golf compared to the variables in hitting a moving baseball... cricket has the same variables with the addition of the ball needing to bounce on a turf pitch before you hit it.

Test cricket gets sledged for taking 5 days to complete... and yet the tour takes 3 weeks?

Cricket's a great sport.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
auscyclefan94 said:

It's Zimbabwe, this is their 3rd test since their comeback. Whatever said, they seem much better than Bangladesh and don't concede the population of a small town when bowling. They are also 1/82 which is pretty respectable and 426 on a flat pitch isn't that bad, it isn't that good either.

I think that the fact that Clarke wanted to leave a tour to set right a marriage with a star wife is the reason the media went against him, very similar to Pietersen.

Here's a basic video about cricket
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxA6j1UUw_0&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Most of the footage is from the '99 World cup.

Spider1964 said:
Easy to get on the Michael Clarke over-rated bandwagon, but his Test and ODI records suggest that he has been a very good player for a considerable amount of time... consistent even.

Not over-rated in my book. His media profile, including his looks, are sometimes confused with his rating as a player. The guy can play.

Well when his name was getting banded about as one of the top batsmen in the world he certainly was overated. Very surprised his highest score in tests is still only 168, i think general opinion of him is more in line with his actual level now.
My main gripe are these fancy dan batsmen like him or pietersen that's why my favourite player of modern times was/is Collingwood ( not the AFL team ) If this was cricket I would defo be a Colly fanboy.

Clarke is a solid test batsman, nothing more nothing less. The problem with Marsh coming in is that he's forced Hussey down to six, as they wouldn't want to give Clarke the dishonour of batting there. Hussey will probably be wasted at six.

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
Spider1964 said:

Clarke is good but isn't in the league of past Australian captains like Ponting, Waugh, Taylor, Chappells x 2 etc. A test batting average of 46 these days is average taking into account the faster outfields (they roll them these days), bats with a far bigger and better sweet spots where you now can mis hit sixes, roped off boundaries, flatter pitches ensuring games last 5 days, lost play made up the next day with a lot more overs per day (remember the Windies bowling only 65 overs per day of which 4 out of 6 balls were bouncers?) and playing the weaker nations more often.

Clarke in One Dayers is always very conservative in his first 40 runs hence his higher average.

Katich has done well not to speak his mind until now and said exactly what most cricketers have said around the country for the past why explaining why he doesn't have a CA contract. Australia is struggling for openers and Katich can't get in the top 25 cricketers in the country. Joke. Phil Hughes technique is shocking.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Spider1964 said:

Of course it is respectable but he is made out to be Don Bradman in the media and some Cricket fans. Has been lucky in the past to keep his spot in the team. Like Ferminal said, he is a solid test batsman. Also bats in at either 4 or 5 which is where everyone likes to bat. Put him up against the swinging ball early and we'll see how he goes.

EDIT: Handbrake is spot on with his post above mine. His point about Phil Hughes is very true. What amazes me that he is given a go in the side when he is not making runs in the weak domestic scene. If you don't have decent technique against a swinging ball against bowling attacks who have Anderson or Steyn in it then your are in trouble. Some may disagree with me saying the domestic scene is weak but compared to where it was it certainly has gone down significantly.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
Re Clarke, I think he is a class player who has had a fairly lean patch of late. Give him time and I think the captaincy could force him to take on more responsibility with his batting and therefore bat longer, score more runs etc.

Sentencing is about to being in the spotfixing trial...

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I like Clarke as a batsman but he isn't the best in the world.

Zimbabwe playing well now 190/3, Vusi Sibanda 93 and the brilliant Brendan Taylor 50 n.o. Go Zim.

Pakistan vs Sri Lanka is a snooze fest. Pitch is a road.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
One other player is supposedly involved in the spot fixing thing. Kamran Akmal and Wahab Riaz are going to be investigated. It isn't surprising that the players may face arrests.
Just when things on the field were improving for Pakistan.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Dancing on the pedals, cheers for the link.

30 months for ****, deserves it. If only players from the '90s had such arrests, then this may not have happened.

Aamer was cooperative through the investigation wasn't he, hopefully he won't get arrested. Not holding my breath.

TRENDING THREADS