• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Cricket- the sport not the insect

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
From what the judge is saying it doesn't look good for Aamer.

"I refuse to accept the basis of you plea, that this was a one-off and you were pressured to do this."

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
Dancing on the pedals, cheers for the link.

30 months for ****, deserves it. If only players from the '90s had such arrests, then this may not have happened.

Aamer was cooperative through the investigation wasn't he, hopefully he won't get arrested. Not holding my breath.

He pleaded guilty before the trial along the lines of being lead astray by **** and Asif, getting in over his head and then not being able to get out. Claimed it was only the Lord's test that he was involved in, but apparently there is evidence - text messages, phone recordings etc. of him being involved in other fixing situations.
Judge has just told him that although pleading guilty was the right thing to do, he doesn't believe that his involvement was a one off

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Dancing On The Pedals said:
He pleaded guilty before the trial along the lines of being lead astray by **** and Asif, getting in over his head and then not being able to get out. Claimed it was only the Lord's test that he was involved in, but apparently there is evidence - text messages, phone recordings etc. of him being involved in other fixing situations.
Judge has just told him that although pleading guilty was the right thing to do, he doesn't believe that his involvement was a one off

I will refuse to believe it was only the Lord's test and if he gets a jail sentence, it would be justified but at 18 he could easily have been pressured into making a wrong choice.

Edit: Sentence comes out just as I press enter.
This sets a proper precedent for players fixing situations in matches, I'm sure they will think more than twice after this unlike the '90s which resulted in no arrest of players. Kudos to the judge and to the prosecution.

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
I will refuse to believe it was only the Lord's test and if he gets a jail sentence, it would be justified but at 18 he could easily have been pressured into making a wrong choice.

Agreed. I think when he was first questioned he blamed others for leading him astray and then in his plea to the court, he stressed that he alone should take responsibility for his actions. Judge saw the contradiction and has no doubt used that as basis for sending him to prison.

Such a talent gone to waste

Spider1964 said:
Come of it.. get off the drugs.

I'll take Garner, Marshall, Holding, Walsh, Patterson etc! any day of the week.

Seriously, Anderson may be considered to get a game amongst the West Indies greats, Bresnan and Tremlett have their moments, but the others are cannon fodder. Finn, Onions and Shahzad are county military medium pacers at best. Broad averages under 30 with the bat and over 30 with the ball, for him to be mentioned in the same breath as the West Indians would have Malcolm Marshall turning in his grave.

Just because they beat up on a 2nd rate Aussie side and a stuttering India, does not make them a match for the aforementioned West Indians.

I said since the great Windies side.

But 2nd rate and stuttering? Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman? Give over. We made them look 2nd rate and stuttering. Check the averages of Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Bresnan over those 2 series against those great players. And watch the action. The bowling was aggressive, menacing, accurate and unerring. Over after over, day after day. Nobody's suggesting that any of those can be compared with the great Windies bowlers of the past, because of the fantastic careers that they had, but the bowling over those 2 series is right up there.

And one last thing, Steve Finn is nowhere near military medium. He's rapid.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
Harsh on KP. For all the bravado and ongoing tendency for brain farts, he absolutely loves a scrap and is widely recognised as the hardest worker in the England team.

I think he maybe meant off the field.

Finn is super quick nowadays and if he can maintain the 90-95mph he's been bowling in FC cricket then he should be a shoo in to the test team.

Meanwhile, I somewhat put the mockers on Zimbabwe. 'The formerly brilliant' Taylor and Taibu out for 50 and 20 just after lunch. They've recovered 260/5 now at tea

Australia cruise to victory in the warm up match. Watson, a belligerent 77 and Marsh a rapid 73 n.o. Win by 7 wickets.

King Of The Wolds said:
Harsh on KP. For all the bravado and ongoing tendency for brain farts, he absolutely loves a scrap and is widely recognised as the hardest worker in the England team.

And if he didn't have an outrageous ego he would he all the better for ir. There's no doubt he's a great batsmen and everyone he's played with will tell u hard he trains but I can't warm to him when can do what he can do and isn't acheiving more that's why I always loves Colly it was brutal watching some of his innings but he was endearing same reason I liked Nasser. Part of the reason Broad annoys me is because he could be absolutely brilliant and i expect im to become more consistent but he can do so much more. Saying thwt I fully expect him to finish his career as Englands leading test wicket taker. That is until Mitchell Claydon demolishes it.:D

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
King Of The Wolds said:
...The fast bowling from that lot over the recent series against India and Australia was as good as we've seen since the West Indies in the 80s.

Ashes 2005 - Harmison Hoggard Flintoff and Jones, for one summer only, were as good as any line up of quickies I've seen and that includes the Windies in their pomp. A bit less hostility perhaps but more variety.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
Ferminal said:
I'd say this is the best pace trio over the last 15 years:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63815.html

Sadly they only got together in two tests.

Mcgrath, Gillespie were pretty awesome, Fleming a clever but less hostile operator.
Pretty much up there that trio.

I like Dale Steyn and Morkel from South Africa - they look as good as anything around. Andre Nel is quite good as a back up but keeps getting dropped for some reason.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
McGrath, Gillespie and Lee/Kasper in the run up to the Ashes 2005 were not half bad.

Same for Donald, Pollock and Fanie De Villiers with McMillan and Kallis (in the end).

Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar backed up by Azhar Mahmood

Ashes 2005 England but the current attack overall (compared to 2005 England) is better because of the spinner.

Jan 18, 2010
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
McGrath, Gillespie and Lee/Kasper in the run up to the Ashes 2005 were not half bad.

Same for Donald, Pollock and Fanie De Villiers with McMillan and Kallis (in the end).

Wasim Akram, Waqar Younis and Shoaib Akhtar backed up by Azhar Mahmood

Ashes 2005 England but the current attack overall (compared to 2005 England) is better because of the spinner.

I saw Alan Donald playing for Warwickshire against Hampshire when he was like 19/20 years of age or something.. Nobody I knew had ever heard of him but he was coming off a short run and bowling at approx 145/150 KPH. Very impressive and very fast. I was supporting Hampshire but our batsmen were getting worked over and in serious danger of injury. Most impressive bowler i've seen live.

Captain_Cavman said:
Ashes 2005 - Harmison Hoggard Flintoff and Jones, for one summer only, were as good as any line up of quickies I've seen and that includes the Windies in their pomp. A bit less hostility perhaps but more variety.

That series was just awesome. Waqar and Wasim partnership was not bad at all, ambrose and walsh was also very good...Steve Waugh vs Ambrose in 95 is legendary.:)

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Well when his name was getting banded about as one of the top batsmen in the world he certainly was overated. Very surprised his highest score in tests is still only 168, i think general opinion of him is more in line with his actual level now.
My main gripe are these fancy dan batsmen like him or pietersen that's why my favourite player of modern times was/is Collingwood ( not the AFL team ) If this was cricket I would defo be a Colly fanboy.

V harsh on Pietersen, another person who's off field exploits overshadow his on field prowess. He is a star IMO. Just because the ego is the size of a small country, shouldn't lessen his standing in the game.

Paul Collingwood MBE :D Undoubtedly a gutsy player, but certainly not top flight.

Just goes to show how subjective sport watching can be.

Handbrake said:
Clarke is good but isn't in the league of past Australian captains like Ponting, Waugh, Taylor, Chappells x 2 etc.

Agree with all that, but reckon he's a better player than Chappelli... Top test score of 199, av less than Clarke. Difficult to compare eras I know.

Handbrake said:
bats with a far bigger and better sweet spots where you now can mis hit sixes

This development gives the batsman so much more confidence. I coach junior teams.. and you have got to have a hit with the new bats to appreciate the difference.. amazing. The edges on the bats are thicker than the middle of some bats from 20 years ago. And yet they have a light pickup? They make the old SS Jumbo look like a toothpick... but weigh less?

Handbrake said:
Katich has done well not to speak his mind until now and said exactly what most cricketers have said around the country for the past why explaining why he doesn't have a CA contract. Australia is struggling for openers and Katich can't get in the top 25 cricketers in the country. Joke. Phil Hughes technique is shocking.

+1 Refreshing to hear a sports figure speak their mind, should be more of it.

Phil Hughes should not be in the team.

King Of The Wolds said:
I said since the great Windies side.

But 2nd rate and stuttering? Ponting, Hussey, Clarke, Tendulkar, Dravid, Laxman? Give over. We made them look 2nd rate and stuttering. Check the averages of Anderson, Broad, Tremlett and Bresnan over those 2 series against those great players. And watch the action. The bowling was aggressive, menacing, accurate and unerring. Over after over, day after day. Nobody's suggesting that any of those can be compared with the great Windies bowlers of the past, because of the fantastic careers that they had, but the bowling over those 2 series is right up there.

And one last thing, Steve Finn is nowhere near military medium. He's rapid.

Agree to disagree then. Anderson and Swann carry the rest. Cannot for the life of me rate Broad, time will tell I guess.

Yes, very harsh on Finn calling him medium.. he's quick. Let's see how his longevity goes? The other two are still pie throwers though :D

Ferminal said:
I'd say this is the best pace trio over the last 15 years:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/63815.html

Sadly they only got together in two tests.

Flem would love that!

Spider1964 said:
V harsh on Pietersen, another person who's off field exploits overshadow his on field prowess. He is a star IMO. Just because the ego is the size of a small country, shouldn't lessen his standing in the game.

Paul Collingwood MBE :D Undoubtedly a gutsy player, but certainly not top flight.

Just goes to show how subjective sport watching can be.

Agree with all that, but reckon he's a better player than Chappelli... Top test score of 199, av less than Clarke. Difficult to compare eras I know.

This development gives the batsman so much more confidence. I coach junior teams.. and you have got to have a hit with the new bats to appreciate the difference.. amazing. The edges on the bats are thicker than the middle of some bats from 20 years ago. And yet they have a light pickup? They make the old SS Jumbo look like a toothpick... but weigh less?

+1 Refreshing to hear a sports figure speak their mind, should be more of it.

Phil Hughes should not be in the team.

Agree to disagree then. Anderson and Swann carry the rest. Cannot for the life of me rate Broad, time will tell I guess.

Yes, very harsh on Finn calling him medium.. he's quick. Let's see how his longevity goes? The other two are still pie throwers though :D

Flem would love that!

Yes I agree I'm being harsh on KP, but that's its because he is so good so talented and could do so much. Colly on the other hand was limited and without his grit and determination would of been an average county player. Colly for a while was a very good international player and still to this day my favourite moment in sport is day 5 cardiff 09. It isnt panesar anf jimmy saving the day its after the 7 hours Collingwood blocked his side into contention , gave his team a chance through sheer grit and will to save the day to lose his wicket with a flash outside off. The look in his eyes afterwards, the torment and regret his working man's reserve. It's the only time I cried at sport.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
Midnightfright said:
Yes I agree I'm being harsh on KP, but that's its because he is so good so talented and could do so much. Colly on the other hand was limited and without his grit and determination would of been an average county player. Colly for a while was a very good international player and still to this day my favourite moment in sport is day 5 cardiff 09. It isnt panesar anf jimmy saving the day its after the 7 hours Collingwood blocked his side into contention , gave his team a chance through sheer grit and will to save the day to lose his wicket with a flash outside off. The look in his eyes afterwards, the torment and regret his working man's reserve. It's the only time I cried at sport.

Collingwood gets credits because people can relate to him as a battler... we love battlers. Of course he turned the corner when he had a year at Melbourne district cricket with Richmond ;) Had a great year too, won the comp medal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Premier_Cricket

Spider1964 said:
Collingwood gets credits because people can relate to him as a battler... we love battlers. Of course he turned the corner when he had a year at Melbourne district cricket with Richmond ;) Had a great year too, won the comp medal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_Premier_Cricket

He will admit that his what spured him on actually. Ofcourse ppl can relate to him he is a battler of legendary status. He had really quite a limited skill set with regards to his battingi admit , I may be biased but he is the best rounded fielder I've ever seen.

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Former NZ great batsman Martin Crowe is try to make a comback to first class cricket aged 49. He certainly was a very good play and I don't imagine the NZ first class cricket is of that high a level but it does seem optimistic to think that he can get there after retiring due to injury at 33 in 1995. Good luck to him though, perhaps he can help younger players to develop.

http://au.sports.yahoo.com/news/article/-/11338565/crowes-comeback-begins/

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/nov/03/cricket-corruption-umpires-ruling-editorial

A bit brief but a decent read.

Ben Stokes out for 6 months- complex dislocation in the finger.

Zimbabwe are right frustrating to follow, the tail is long when Ray Price bats at 8. Still fighting, 313 (fro 280/5) in the first innings and New zealand 28/2 in the second.

England fans, did anyone of you know Paul Horton plays for Matebaland? He is their star attraction. Hopefully the event is telecast in India.

Spider1964 said:

You know that there's been a drop in quality of grade cricket when once Abdul Qadir, Carl Hooper and Collingwood (to a lesser extent) won at the turn of the century and a couple of years ago was won by Gareth Cross.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
A bit rich coming from a cycling fan.:D

Honestly, in terms of testing a viewer's patience, I don't find it too dissimilar to cycling.

Cricket the insect is a pain in the ****, it's a daily struggle for sleep with a garden next to my place.

Jul 8, 2009
Visit site
ramjambunath said:
You know that there's been a drop in quality of grade cricket when once Abdul Qadir, Carl Hooper and Collingwood (to a lesser extent) won at the turn of the century and a couple of years ago was won by Gareth Cross.

Remembering of course RamJam, that this is a step below state cricket, some good cricketers amongst the winners. I'll now go to bed to have nightmares about facing Richard McCarthy on a green top.. with a hangover!! He seemed quick to me, but didn't play much state cricket. V good player.

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Spider1964 said:
Remembering of course RamJam, that this is a step below state cricket, some good cricketers amongst the winners. I'll now go to bed to have nightmares about facing Richard McCarthy on a green top.. with a hangover!! He seemed quick to me, but didn't play much state cricket. V good player.

I know, hence I used the word grade cricket. Qadir, Hooper and Collingwood were top internationals while Cross is an average county 'keeper.

Edit: You played grade cricket? Wow. Any other bowler (of note) who you faced?

TRENDING THREADS