• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2014: Stage 4, Montélimar - Gap 167.5 km

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
Jelantik said:
contador didn't over cooked. There's a hot melt asphalt on the road and that's why he fell.

Yes you are right what i meant is he was takking risks and Froome looked fine that day but this year cleary he is stronger than last year and like i said feel Contador is the better descender but i feel it needs to be a little technical as else their even imo.

Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
keeping in mind the contador/froome relative uphill performance displayed yesterday, the last hill is simply too easy - about 5% average gradient - to shake off the froome dawg.

or even if he can be gaped by several seconds, i find it unreasonable for contador to take too many risks (keeping in mind the tdf in several weeks) on a final descent just to win the secondary stage...particularly b/c he can attack on the steeper, more suitable slopes still to come...i do believe contador can drop the dawg when the walls of at least 10% come.

the final climb
http://climbbybike.com/profile/Col_de_Manse_La_Bâtie_Neuve_profile.gif

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
Ruby United said:
This is a slightly different descent to the 2013 and armstrong-beloki famous route, but note that in 2013 contador crashed taking froome down with him.

Well thats also a way to try to stop Froome :D

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
cauberg1999 said:
i expect a quiet stage with break's win. grand favorites not to take any risks in dauphine

I agree. Had it been the Tour it would have been different. This is a prep race. Of course they wanna test eachother, safely ie uphill, but I dont see any of the biggest guns taking huge risks down hill. But maybe some of the outsiders for whom DL is more than a prep race.

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
^This

A lot of people lost time, even significantly in TT and first mountain stage. if a break goes with them, I suppose the stars will let it be and fdj will not work to get it back as Demare might not make it up the last climb. A break seems a fair bet.

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Note: the riders went through the Côte de Viré Vieille at km 10. It was a 3.6 km @ 5.0 % climb.

Should have been Cat. 3 but ASO considered it was better to find a false-flat section in a village (Côte de Rosans is 1.5 km @ 3.6 %) so there would be people cheering for them.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
name me 3 ;)

Contador, Valverde and Rodriguez for example. Costa is also a really good descender.

They are tecnically as good as Nibali. I have seen descents of all three in the past which make me think they are on par with Nibali.

From letour.fr's own live ticker:

13 riders in the lead

A breakaway is gone at km 21 with: Andriy Grivko (Astana), Christian Meier (Orica-GreenEdge), Imanol Erviti (Movistar), Maxime Bouet (AG2R), Romain Sicard (Europcar), Pim Lightart (Lotto), Gustav Larsson (IAM), Damiano Caruso (Cannondale), Bob Jungels (Trek), Peter Velits (BMC), Yuriy Trofimov (Katusha), Jan Bakelants (OPQS) and Lars-Petter Nordhaug (Belkin).

TRENDING THREADS