• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2014: Stage 4, Montélimar - Gap 167.5 km

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Top 10 general classification:
vfQlJWW.png

christopherrowe said:
I have no idea how to predict this stage in terms of a top ten (unlike the stages so far, where I've been so very confident ;) ), so I'm instead going to just pick a stage winner in Thomas Voeckler and have a go at the order in which the current top ten GC riders will cross the finish line.

Nibali Vincenzo | Astana Pro Team
Kelderman Wilco | Belkin-Pro Cycling Team
Yates Adam | Orica GreenEdge
Contador Alberto | Tinkoff-Saxo
Froome Christopher | Team Sky
Talansky Andrew | Garmin Sharp
Fuglsang Jakob | Astana Pro Team
Van den Broeck Jurgen | Lotto Belisol
Zubeldia Haimar | Trek Factory Racing
Kangert Tanel | Astana Pro Team

I'll also predict these changes to the GC. Nibali to overtake Van den Broek and Talansky to move up to fourth and Kangert to fall out of the top ten, his place to be taken by Sebastien Reichenbach.

Just about the only thing I was right about was that I had no idea how to predict this stage. :D

Voeckler's attack didn't go anywhere so I didn't get the stage winner. The day's starting top ten instead finished in this order across the line.

21 Froome
23 Contador
28 Yates
30 Kelderman
31 Talansky
38 Van den Broek
41 Fuglsang
47 Kangert
50 Zubeldia
59 Nibali

…so I guessed correctly that Yates would be third of the ten and that's it.

As for my GC prediction, Nibali did not gain any time and while Kangert did fall out of the top ten it was Maxime Bouet who moved in, not taking the Estonian's tenth spot but instead overtaking Zubeldia, Fuglsang, and Yates to move from 23rd to 7th.

christopherrowe said:
He came in with the main group, so I guess he did. Maybe he was just having a bad day on Stage 2? I couldn't really tell from the coverage who was in Sky's train at various points up the climb (which must not have proved that difficult for most of the riders).

Meh, evne Bram Tankink came in with the main group. And Jens Keukeleire.

I must admit to some disappointment that the main contenders seemed content to just ride down the mountain and keep an eye on one another, but at least Trofimov's descent made the end of the stage exciting to watch.

I guess we can expect something similar but with a different winner tomorrow?

christopherrowe said:
I must admit to some disappointment that the main contenders seemed content to just ride down the mountain and keep an eye on one another, but at least Trofimov's descent made the end of the stage exciting to watch.

I guess we can expect something similar but with a different winner tomorrow?

My guess is 75% of all opportunities are wasted by the modern GC riders.
But don't ignore Van Garderen and Bardet's attack today.

And then Bouet. Power power with the right plan on home turf.

Great win for Trofimov. Well deserved.

But WTF is happening to Spilak? I don't get it. I know he doesn't like the heat but c'mon. How do you go from being the best climber in the race with Froome a month ago to riding in the gruppetto and just don't trying in this race. And he didn't even had a bad TT. It was sub par for his standards but wasn't bad. I hope he is just soft pedaling and saving energy for tomorrow or later in the week otherwise this is worrisome.

johnymax said:
Great win for Trofimov. Well deserved.

But WTF is happening to Spilak? I don't get it. I know he doesn't like the heat but c'mon. How do you go from being the best climber in the race with Froome a month ago to riding in the gruppetto and just don't trying in this race. And he didn't even had a bad TT. It was sub par for his standards but wasn't bad. I hope he is just soft pedaling and saving energy for tomorrow or later in the week otherwise this is worrisome.

This is typical Spilak. I don't see what's worrying about it. He hates the heat and loves the cold.

JRanton said:
This is typical Spilak. I don't see what's worrying about it. He hates the heat and loves the cold.

Well, he said after Romandie he is preparing for the Tour. Last time he did the Tour was in 2010 and he said he is a different rider now. He wants to win a stage but you cannot win a stage with this kind of form. I know it's still 3 weeks untill the start of the Tour but you need to show something.

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Key factors here were heat and not taking risk 2 weeks before the tour. No contender wants to fall and get injured before the tour and because of the heat, contenders have to be a bit prudent, you don't want to get a heat shock 2 weeks before the tour when there are 2 and a half big stages still coming up.

TRENDING THREADS