• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2014: Stage 5, Sisteron - La Mure 184 km

Page 13 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was just looking at the minor reshuffling caused on GC by Bouet's following on his great day yesterday with a not-so-good day today. And I noticed something interesting.

Tejay Van Garderen is clawing his way back into this thing.

I don't know if there are four guys in front of him he can take minutes off of on Saturday and Sunday or not, but if he has good days instead of bad days in the higher mountains, he might come out of this with a pretty creditable result after all.

Hugo Koblet said:
The heroes are those who attack to win places in the GC (Yates, Kelderman). The morons are those who use their power defending their 4th place instead of using it to attack and win places in the GC (not gonna mention any names...).

So considering 4th place to be important is unreasonable, but valuing 8th place isn't?

And what is this 2 seconds that Impey took from Yates? Was he 2 seconds clear of Bardet? Would no-one else have gone for those WT points? If there is going to be a gallop to the line, is he wrong to be part of it?

Even if we were to accept the premise that Impey's effort in the sprint made that group finish 2 seconds earlier than they otherwise would have done, are 2 seconds really going to be relevant in the face of the gradients on Saturday? And if Yates is really bothered about 2 seconds, might he not have at least tried to get the extra bonus seconds for second place?

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
As an American. I hope TJ does well. But to me he is overrated. I think Talansky is a better rider. And has been developed better at Garmin. TJ can TT. But he is not explosive enough in the Mountains. Kinda like a Cadel2.0

I hope he wins a GT. Just like Cadel but I would not bet on it.

DenisMenchov said:
OK, but show me a video where VDB is sprinting up the mounting after someone.
Something like Contador - Rasmussen, Froome - Cobo, heck even Nibali - Horner kind of duel.

Kelderman really isn't that explosive as well. Sometimes you need to attack at the right time though. When riders are looking at eachother or do,estiques are fading.

Kwibus said:
After reading the cn.com article about the sky team weakness I was really dissapointed that when I watched the last 10km to see 2 domestiques for Froome and Porte being a beast. That wasn't failure. They were bloody strong....

CN.com just needed an article with Sky as subject to keep the clicks up.