• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 08/12 > 08/16/20

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which rider will surprise the most?

• Sepp Kuss

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Enric Mas

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Sergio Higuita

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Adam Yates

• Dylan Teuns

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Benoît Cosnefroy

• Guillaume Martin

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • other, French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, non-French

Votes: 11 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I find myself wondering if this course is so hard it's not actually going to be a great thing to go full bore here if one's form is already good (Roglič, Bernal)...
This. I was thinking the same thing.
But maybe it is OK in this packed schedule where cyclist could spread out the kilometres. It is like the riders have to choice but to pack all the kilometres together. Remember that if a rider lacks depth, no matter how good you are now, you will pay during the third week.
We'll find out later.

Reactions: red_flanders
Breakaways, yes.
But not because of TJV-Ineos battle, but because the route's so inviting.

Despite all 5 stages finishing uphill, only sprinters are handicapped here, imo.
A little bit of something for everybody.
Though the star-studded lineup might not leave much to the rest of the field.

Am I the only one not a massive fan of this route? It's pretty much the same stage raced 5 times, 90% of riders are there to make up the numbers. A couple of lumpy/medium mountain stages or downhill finishes would be better.

Better than 5 sprint stages I suppose.

For the spectacle it is good, but yeah, it's a bit over the top.

One of the uphill finishers could even have been an ITT for practise for PDBF.

Am I the only one not a massive fan of this route? It's pretty much the same stage raced 5 times, 90% of riders are there to make up the numbers. A couple of lumpy/medium mountain stages or downhill finishes would be better.

I don't like it either. Lacks a bit of variety. And then that double finish at Megeve altiport...
1 high mountain stage with mtf, 1 high mountain stage with descent finish, 1 lumpy stage, 1 stage like the one to St Etienne in the tour last year and 1 tt wouldn't be less exciting.
Now it's probably going to be an Alaphilippe victory on day 1 and 4 consecutive days of ineos/JV trains.

With the Dauphine, I don't really care much about the route tbh. At least I don't give one *** about balance.

Dauphine routes just need to take care they don't make most of their MTF too big, which is what they did well here.

You want a guy who isn't even there to chase the overall?

That's something that only Remco could pull off.

I am actually not too excited about this route. It really has too many similar stages for me, but I understand that in these times and with that Tour route this year the riders just need this to get mountain ks into their legs.

The rider I am rather curious about is Buchmann, because we have not seen anything from him after the "lockdown" (or have we?) Also seeing how Pogacar and Higuita fare compared to the others and what their approach is will be interesting.

6e0Kwcu.png

Reactions: Sandisfan
Roglic, Bernal, Quintana podium as in L'Ain...
Curious to see what Buchmann and A Yates will do. Hope, Yates goes thermonuclear again like in UAE. IF he's in form the route really suits him.

Also, Ines and Jumbo teams...Astana 2009 reloaded :)

TRENDING THREADS