• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 08/12 > 08/16/20

Page 31 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Which rider will surprise the most?

• Sepp Kuss

Votes: 3 4.7%
  • Enric Mas

Votes: 8 12.5%
  • Chris Froome

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Sergio Higuita

Votes: 13 20.3%
  • Adam Yates

• Dylan Teuns

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Benoît Cosnefroy

• Guillaume Martin

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • other, French

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, non-French

Votes: 11 17.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I really want Formolo to be terrible until whenever the nationals are. Not because of anything against him but I don't want to have to hurt my eyes looking at that ABOMINATION any more than is strictly necessary. This is actually worse than the Radioshack German and Swiss champions' jerseys and maybe even worse than Levi's abortion of a US Champions' jersey. The Italian jersey is so easy to get right, how is it possible to get it so wrong?

Hey... at least it's not as bad as the chest-swirl abomination Movistar used for their Spanish Champion a while back...

I suspect tomorrow is another day for Wout, last climb has similar gradients to the one he won on the first stage

dauphine-2020-stage-4-profile-5ac526d152.jpg

apart from the fact that everyone is complaining.

and the fact that differences are measured in a handful of seconds.

and the fact that no one attacks until the final uphill sprint.

and the resounding fact that despite the amazing closeness in the present GC everyone is complaining about how boring it is and that there is no potential for surprises.

firmly proving the fact that "closeness" in GC does not necessarily encourage exciting riding.

other than those facts, you totally got me.

:rolleyes::eek:
Not a single one of those is a fact but nice try. Actually, this small part is a fact:

"closeness" in GC does not necessarily encourage exciting riding."

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Hey... at least it's not as bad as the chest-swirl abomination Movistar used for their Spanish Champion a while back...
We've had a lot of bad Italian jerseys recently, though, whereas Movistar butchering their home jersey is just like beating your head against a concrete wall at this stage. It's been years since there's been a good Spanish jersey, it feels like. But Italian jerseys historically don't suck, and now all of a sudden they do. No wonder Nibali tried to hold the maillot jaune start to finish when he had to wear such an insult to the nation.

We've had a lot of bad Italian jerseys recently, though, whereas Movistar butchering their home jersey is just like beating your head against a concrete wall at this stage. It's been years since there's been a good Spanish jersey, it feels like. But Italian jerseys historically don't suck, and now all of a sudden they do. No wonder Nibali tried to hold the maillot jaune start to finish when he had to wear such an insult to the nation.
Aru actually managed to get a good one, but that was a contract year. A shame that Formolino didn't use his leverage to get a proper one before signing with UAE. It actually makes me miss some of the stuff that Katusha did for Pippo...

I suspect tomorrow is another day for Wout, last climb has similar gradients to the one he won on the first stage

dauphine-2020-stage-4-profile-5ac526d152.jpg

If the pace is moderate again this could even happen, a group of 60 riders on top of the penultimate climb, and with the last ascend not being overly steep, I don't see any successful attacks by the GC favorites happening there. Yea, that or a breakaway. A small hope remains that some GC rider will try a big move on the Monté Bisanne, otherwise, this stage could be another letdown.

If no one puts a high pace and if Jumbo uses Gesink ahead of Van Aert in Montee de Bisanne its not impossible for him to recover in the descent and held on in the final climb but its an unlikely scenario when compared with a breakaway or a finish in a group of 20-30 riders for Roglic.

Not a single one of those is a fact but nice try. Actually, this small part is a fact:

"closeness" in GC does not necessarily encourage exciting riding."

pray tell me which one of those r not inherently facts.

and back it up with recent data.

I will use this Dauphiné as an example.

each one of the above are very clear facts demonstrated in all the stages so far.

thank you. And good night!

apart from the fact that everyone is complaining.

and the fact that differences are measured in a handful of seconds.

and the fact that no one attacks until the final uphill sprint.

and the resounding fact that despite the amazing closeness in the present GC everyone is complaining about how boring it is and that there is no potential for surprises.

firmly proving the fact that "closeness" in GC does not necessarily encourage exciting riding.

other than those facts, you totally got me.

:rolleyes::eek:
As soon as you say “everyone is complaining” you lose the argument. I’m not complaining. That takes away from “everyone”, making your statement an incorrect opinion. Ill leave the rest of your comment till after the race and then we can weigh it’s truth

Reactions: Sandisfan
A greater variety of stages would certainly be nice. But this Dauphiné and this Tour might be an extreme. The Giro will look different. Next year's Tour will probably look different. And the next Dauphiné as well.

I think it's not only about trains vs. Evenepoel, even though I have used that to joke.
Is it not also a thing that Roglic and Bernal are not the most polarizing riders (not to speak of Buchmann...?) and that Pinot is someone almost everyone cheers for, but in an almost reasonable way... So no fights whether he will win... everybody is okay with Roglic winning, everybody is okay with Pinot winning, everybody is okay with Bernal winning...
Most people would be okay with Buchmann winning, most people would be okay with Pogacar winning. Who is the rider who has a chance to win, that we desperately do not want to win? (Or is this really not important to you all? Are you all very rational and objective?)

Evenepoel is polarizing, but he's not there. If Evenepoel had a fitting rival, that would probably excite people, even if it was a very close mtf finish. Maybe this rival will show up, either from the ones already in the peloton, or from the even younger boys. For cycling, that would probably be great.

My favourite is Valverde/Bardet/Alaphilippe.

Buchmann seems to be looking for something he has lost on the ground.

Reactions: Lequack
Who is the rider who has a chance to win, that we desperately do not want to win? (Or is this really not important to you all? Are you all very rational and objective?)

A good question. I'm just used to the riders I don't want to win winning the Tour (Armstrong, Landis, Contador (because I was a stupid Dane who jumped on the Saxo bandwagon; of course I would have absolutely loved to see him win later in his career), Wiggins, Froome and Nibali (please don't ban me Red Rick).

The only times I have been happy with a Tour winner was Sastre, Evans and to a lesser degree Geraint Thomas for whom I have a soft spot. Bernal was neither here nor there and the finale was just a bit too weird, and I even had to attend a wedding so I couldn't watch the Val Thorens stage live - it was a crap stage but that still stung, and then to put insult to injury Movistar screwed Valverde.

The obvious answer to your question would have been Froome, but I actually think the real answer is Quintana given that he has a chance but many people (me included) really don't like him. But that isn't very realistic, I think. Otherwise, I would be fine with the winner, as long as it's Pinot or Landa ;)

Evenepoel is polarizing, but he's not there. If Evenepoel had a fitting rival, that would probably excite people, even if it was a very close mtf finish. Maybe this rival will show up, either from the ones already in the peloton, or from the even younger boys. For cycling, that would probably be great.

A rival will show up once he starts doing races that other big names have targeted. I saw the Tour of Poland and everyone sat around expecting Eddie Dunbar to out TT him. They didn't care. Lombardia will be a step up, but most of the usual challengers are in France.

A rival will show up once he starts doing races that other big names have targeted. I saw the Tour of Poland and everyone sat around expecting Eddie Dunbar to out TT him. They didn't care. Lombardia will be a step up, but most of the usual challengers are in France.

How do you explain the way Evenepoel gained a minute on Fuglsang since the moment Fuglsang distanced Yates and Majka and thus went solo?

Incredible that people continue to shrug at his performances.

Who is the rider who has a chance to win, that we desperately do not want to win? (Or is this really not important to you all? Are you all very rational and objective?

I'm going to basically agree with what Tobydawq said. Riders I really don't like winning the Tour seems to be fairly common (Lance, Landis, Froome, Wiggins and yes I'm American). My husband was a Contador fan, so was ok with him winning.

Obvious answer is Froome, but I don't think he's capable of it at this point. The only other rider I really don't like is Quintana.
I'd be very happy if Pinot could find a way to win it. Bernal I can take or leave. Wouldn't mind seeing Landa or Roglic win it.

I think what we're learning here is that the days of Skyneos bot domination weren't that bad. Or, at least, not everything else is less worser. Domestiques are too good. Skyneos bots or JumVis bots are all the same. And there will be new bots in 2025.
Hopefully, by 2035, we will have the ability to better control the weather. Crosswinds in every stage! We also need much steeper climbs than the ones in France. Maybe we will also have the technology to replicate climbs like Zoncolan or the Angry Lou and stick them in the Tour. This is my dream.

• Haha
Reactions: tobydawq