• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Critérium du Dauphiné 2022, June 5 - 12

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Can Groenewegen get over the climbs for a sprint win on any stage?

Also, will it be a repeat of this?

FUA8fqmWIAM3xxH

I wouldn't take Groenewegen to Dauphine - Better he rides Slovenie or the ZLM Tour - Reckon Matthews can snare a stage win on this parcours.

Stage 8 looks like a pretty hard finish -- I've heard great things about that plateau in the winter for XC skiing, too...Although they are doing la Colombiere the "wrong" way.

I expect it will be a good race, but I do hope no TdF contenders DNF due to injury.

Feel like it's slowly losing it's appeal as a proper TdF warm up. At least Roglic and Vingegaard are here this year but again no Pogacar, no Martinez, no Vlasov, no Quintana.
Last year was mainly entertaining because of Padun, GC battle pretty average. Stage design also used to be more creative, why not a MTT up to Granon? (Only half joking)

Also, does Keldermann really do this? If yes, why exactly?

Reactions: Sandisfan
Feel like it's slowly losing it's appeal as a proper TdF warm up. At least Roglic and Vingegaard are here this year but again no Pogacar, no Martinez, no Vlasov, no Quintana.
Last year was mainly entertaining because of Padun, GC battle pretty average. Stage design also used to be more creative, why not a MTT up to Granon? (Only half joking)

Also, does Keldermann really do this? If yes, why exactly?
Started the Giro undercooked and probably feels like the shape is there now?
He had very few racing days before the Giro.

No I think training and buildup methods by riders changed, amd the Schlecks retired. Most riders always preferred the Dauphine
Back in the 90s Tour of Switzerland had a stellar field and even slightly contested the Giro d'Italia during its weaker 1996 & 1997 editions.

Tour of Switzerland really died when they stopped selling pan-european TV rights to Eurosport. That really catapulted the race outside of the public eye in many countries. With hence the Dauphine overtaking it swiftly.

Remember the Giro d'Italia actually was first aired by Eurosport in 1998 after RCS Mediaset deal expired.

Historically it used to be the big 3 (Tour de France, Giro d'Italia, Vuelta a Espana) + Tour de Suisse

Back in the 90s Tour of Switzerland had a stellar field and even slightly contested the Giro d'Italia during its weaker 1996 & 1997 editions.

Tour of Switzerland really died when they stopped selling pan-european TV rights to Eurosport. That really catapulted the race outside of the public eye in many countries. With hence the Dauphine overtaking it swiftly.

Remember the Giro d'Italia actually was first aired by Eurosport in 1998 after RCS Mediaset deal expired.
How was the route for TdS back in those days? The last 10-15 years it has really been underwhelming. They neither use the potential for steeper and shorter climbs in some parts of the country, nor the combos/sequences of high climbs in other parts. It has been far too many mono climb stages with an underwhelming MTF in these years.